Hardest Heavyweight Punchers according to Moseley Boxing Channel

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, Sep 14, 2020.

1. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    One has already been stated Mark.

mark ant likes this.
  2. Surrix

Surrix Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2020
    KO % is weird criteria, depends from opponent. With short notice out of shape journeymans, debut guys is easy to rack up high KO percentage.

3. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    And therein lies the bottom line.

KO% is more directly correlated with the quality of a fighters opposition, than how hard they hit!

4. Eddie Ezzard

Eddie Ezzard Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 19, 2016
    If you're having names like Morrison and Briggs, you can probably even add someone like Robin Williams in there.

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  5. Eddie Ezzard

Eddie Ezzard Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 19, 2016
    When did Tyson get his hair relaxed?

6. Richmondpete

Richmondpete Real fighters do road work Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    1st round knockouts is a direct correlation to how hard they hit wouldn't you say?

7. Johnny_B

Johnny_B Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 8, 2020
    Just is just about pure power punching, not about ability to land those punches effectively.

8. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    First round knockouts, is probably a better indicator of power than KO%.

Even against mediocre opposition, it is quite hard to do.

9. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    So are you saying if I knock out 50 guys in bar fights or in my backyard, it doesn't make me an ATG puncher???

janitor likes this.
  10. VVMM

VVMM Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2012
    By F. Botha's opinion Tyson was harder puncher than Klitschko.
    What are Klitschkos' best kos ? Shot Byrd untested Pulev,Leapai or the shot old Mormeck ?
    You are an incredible biased Klitschko fan.

11. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I was explaining this to my brother. As the quality of opposition increases, you're going to run into fighters that have better defense, better chins, know how to smother punches, know how to effectively tie a man up, are more mobile etc. That's why not even Tyson, Foreman, Liston, Marciano or Lewis stopped every man they fought. If all the guys they fought walked forward to them in a straight line with their chins in the air, all of them could have a 100 percent KO ratio.

"Lesser" (meaning non ATG fighters who could hit hard) big punchers like Ruddock, Bruno, Cleveland Williams, Ray Mercer, Bert Cooper, George Chuvalo etc also could have a 100 percent KO ratio if all their opponents came forward in a straight line with chins high up in the air.

Entaowed likes this.
  12. Big Ukrainian

Big Ukrainian Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 10, 2007
    LOOOOOL

Have you seen Eddie Chambers' KO? Or Ray Austin KO? And Pulev KO was GREAT

And yes, Botha said that Tyson hit harder than both Wlad and Lewis, but if so it's not a shme since Tyson is one of the hardest punchers in boxing history

13. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    This is true! I think Mercer & certainly Chivalo did not hit as hard as the others you names, & we can name others...Baer, Galento, Wlad, Tua, Foreman, Bonecrusher, & others...Who hit harder for one shot than even say Tyson, maybe Lewis...
    Who in turn hit harder than Frazier, Dempey, Marciano, Louis...

But those "last" guys hit extremely hard by any rational standards.
    And they were often more effective than those who hit harder, due to speed, accuracy, combinations etc.

Can we please stop equating effectiveness with absolute power?!?!
    Can we consider how looking just at KOs shows both effectiveness & quality of opposition, & while someone like Wilder hits extremely hard, you cannot just look at even early KOs to have a good idea how hard they hit?
    Otherwise Briggs who hit very hard but not the hardest would be near #1.

Shavers DID hit either the hardest for single shots, or if not, very likely the hardest for anyone short of a few select SHWs.
    There is no way to deny his record when he was limited in skills, endurance, finishing ability & chin.
    And many sai he hit the hardest of anyone. Those he best & lost to, you cannot account for it by self-promotion.
    Tillis Lyle Cobb Ali Holmes Caldwell Young Norton I believe & God knows who else slips my mind now. Find anyone who said anyone else they fought hit harder.
    We have other threads with a few who have freakish power, does not mean Lamont Brewster is the best, just may hit near the hardest.

I think we should all know by now that while Tyson, Louis Rocky etc hit very hard...
    It is clear that for single shots others hit harder!
    Louis fought at least 2 you may be able to name.
    Even though he was much better, remember a few very fast 7 accurate shots will be more *effective* that a say 10-20% harder single shot that you may even see coming!

Most of us should be able to name several guys Tyson fought that hit harder than him!
    He beat them, two of them twice! The other hugged him to death.

Being about the hardest puncher can take you far.
    But it *does not* mean you are the best fighter.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  14. VVMM

VVMM Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2012
    I think the Chambers ko was fake. Austin ? Who are Austin and Pulev? .Otherwise you are better than lots of total biased
    fan.

15. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Chambers had to be softened up for 11 rounds and was on dead legs at the time of the stoppage. . WK made sure Pulev couldn't move out of the way by using an illegal canvas. If you rewatch that fight , look at the canvas. It was like a trampoline!