Harold Brazier

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mr. magoo, Jul 26, 2007.

1. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Harold Brazier was a fighter whom I grew up watching during the 80's and 90's. His fights were commonly shown on the ESPN network, which was often hosted by Al Bernstein and Barry Thompkins. Brazier would usually wind up being on the undercard of a heavyweight prospect fight, or sometimes get the main event slot in a bout for some regional belt. I actually saw him live once, when he came to Chicago and fought at what was then called the Rosemont Horizon. Today the stadium is known as the all state arena. On this evening in 1992, he won a decision over a tough local trial hoarse named Dwayne Swift for the IBF intercontinental Jr. Welterweight title. Swift's family was sitting behind me as I cheered for Brazier. Occasionally, I'd get a few dirty looks.

Harold fought for 22 years between 1982 and 2004. He began his career at lightweight I believe, and finished somewhere around Jr. Middleweight. He accumulated well over 100 fights, and retired with a record of 105-18-1-64. He was only stopped on 2 occasions. Although Brazier never won a world title, he managed to get a few shots at some past, present and future world champs. Pernell Whitaker, Livingstone Bramble, Juan Coggi, Meldrick Taylor and Loyd honeyghan, were all fighters who met Brazier at some point.

Brazier retired in 2004, after a career that stretched over two decades. He currently resides in South Bend, Indiana, and I believe is around 50 years old. I guess the reason that I started this thread, is I was feeling a bit sentimental about reflecting back to my early days as a boxing fan, and the fighters that got me hooked. Brazier was a throw back in my opinion to the old school fighters, who accumulated a number of fights that went way beyond the century mark. This is something that we hardly see today. What's more, he was a fighter who fought the very best and some of the very worst. In either case, he was a tremendous credit to the sport.

Thoughts?

2. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    The finest journeyman I have seen in my time as a boxing fan. I know my old man was impressed when he say him fight Honeyghan a mere 20 fights into his career.

Also remembering watching him compete well with a primed Black Mamba.

3. mr. magoo

Jan 3, 2007
    I forgot about the fact that he fought Roger Mayweather, who by the way was another fovorite if mine.

4. Cobra33

Cobra33 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Harold Brazier wasn't a journeyman-he was a worldclass contender.Long before Winky got credit for his hands held high defence Brazier was doping it.
    Brazier beat the hell out of unbeaten highly touted John Meekins.
    I have a huge collection of his bouts on DVD.I never tire of watrching them.

5. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    He was at times a fringe contender yes I would agree to that.

6. mr. magoo

Jan 3, 2007
    Agreed,

Brazier won 105 out 127 of his fights, which came out to be about 85%. What's more, he lost mainly to top rated fighters, and in 18 defeats, was only stopped twice. Throughout his career, he was usually ranked anywhere between the top 10 and top 25 of whatever division he was fighting in at the time, and held numerous regional belts.

Hardly a journeyman's resume in my opinion.

By the way, you said that you had a collection of his on DVD. Where did you acquire it if I may ask?

7. Hitman

Hitman Member Full Member

Aug 22, 2006
    [Also remembering watching him compete well with a primed Black Mamba.[/quote]

I have been looking for a nice copy of this fight for yrs! If any of you can help me out...please pm me!

8. Raggamuffin

Raggamuffin You dipstick Full Member

Jun 11, 2007
    I remember he was sort of a semi pro.
    He actually held a day job as an auto repairman. He used to do the body work off a car. After finishing his job(after clocking out off course) he went to the gym

9. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    I didn't keep track of Brazier's career that closely, but I remember him being well-respected by the boxing community as a guy who would fight anyone, anywhere, anytime. A real throwback to fighters from an earlier era. Ring magazine did an article of him in the early 90's when he had had about 70 pro fights, and I came away impressed by his attitude.