Harry Greb Vs Holyfield (of the Moorer fight)

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by BitPlayerVesti, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Tonto62

Tonto62 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Me too I just prefer prime 4 prime match ups.

BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  2. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    I do believe Holyfield made himself sick in that first fight with Moorer. Look at how ripped he was in that fight in particular. I don't like throwing accusations without proof but clearly enough people have brought up the PED thing with Evander that it has some weight especially when looking at his body in that fight. I don't believe he was shot as much as I believe whatever he was on combined with too much weight training affected his performance in that fight.

I also give credit to Moorer and his right jab that neutralized Evander's. Back then there were not a lot of Southpaw big men that were successful and I think MM had a good game plan and threw Evander off. Not many could out slugg Holyfield. Bowe was the only one and he was a significantly bigger man than Harry ****ing Greb.

Colonel Sanders likes this.
  3. Grapefruit

Grapefruit Active Member Full Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Oh my bad I thought he said the second, my money would still be on holyfield, nothing against greb I dont think anyone's got a better resume.

4. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Fair enough, I should have been clearer.

Grapefruit likes this.
  5. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    It's stretch plain and simple

young griffo likes this.
  6. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    This thread should've been over in seconds.

Holyfield KO.

young griffo likes this.
  7. young griffo

young griffo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2006
    Match any middleweight with heavyweight reigning champion Evander Holyfield and their chances would be quite rightly dismissed.

Yet the pre- 1920's ND era guy with zero film footage gets given a legit chance by guys who are usually extremely vocal in their scepticism of the chances of ye olde heavyweights (let alone middleweight's) against the modern guys.

It's touching but bizarre the leap of faith people put into Greb sight unseen. I'm sure he was great but no one is that great (that's even factoring in him getting "decisions" in ND fights with Brennan and Miske, who let's be honest couldn't blow wind up EH's behind).

Holyfield punches the stuffing out of the little guy.

KuRuPT, JohnThomas1 and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  8. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    We're not talking about Holyfield of the Bowe fights but that dude named Evander who was in the ring with Moorer. Go look at that fight again.

BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  9. young griffo

young griffo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2006
    That sluggish dude in the first Moorer fight still managed to floor the 6'2 200+ lb Michael Moorer and arguably deserved the decision to boot although he gassed badly late. Teddy Atlas worked harder than Moorer did.

I reckon Holyfield of the first Moorer fight would still put any 5'9 170lber to the floor and either keep him there or force a ref stoppage within 3 rounds thus rendering his latter rounds lethargy (which is what I'm assuming the Greb fans are banking on him exploiting in this match up) inconsequential.

10. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    GC i think Holyfield's 7" reach advantage and 6 1/2" height advantage would hold him in good stead. Greb also wasn't a guy that built his style around the jab to say the least.