harry greb

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by luke, May 13, 2012.

1. luke

luke Well-Known Member Full Member

May 7, 2012
    is this accurate

"Four of his fights are known to have been filmed, the first Tunney fight, the Mickey Walker fight and the two title fights with Tiger Flowers. In Greb's biography it also said that Greb complained of the hot lights used for filming.

What has happened to these fights however is a mystery, there are films of most of the top fighters of the day and yet none has survived of Greb, apart from a seven minute training film.

The sad thing is that Greb's fights were filmed on nitrate stock, which expires after 80 years if it isn't transferred, considering Greb died in 1926 that means that in all probability the films are lost forever.

I am one of the many that holds out hope that one day we will find some fight footage of Greb, after all in recent years footage has turned up of many old time fighters, however it is doubtful."

ive seen the jim jacobs documentary, and he names fights, such as jeanette carpentier, that he knows are around and there rough where abouts, so my question is, are these fights around in your oppinion? and what other fights do you think are out there.

2. RockysSplitNose

RockysSplitNose Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 15, 2007
    No ones gunna tell me that Greb-Walker isn't out there - whoever had the original
    Nitrate stock couldn't have failed to realise how important it was they would've backed it up and backed up the back up - fights of much lesser historic importance were saved so why not that it doesn't make any sense whatsoever - I'd be willing to bet my savings on it being out there - and that whoever has it knows they have it and knows everyone is waiting for it and they're biding their time to cash in when they do release it

White Bomber likes this.
  3. Mr Butt

Mr Butt Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 16, 2009

i hope you are right and i hope they hurry as i am not getting any younger

BCS8 likes this.
  4. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    The idea that whoever had this film understood its importance is debatable -- in my youth I bought a comic book collection worth thousands of dollars for about a hundred bucks (borrowed from my dad and worked off in the yard over many, many weeks). The person selling had no idea that those 1,500 comics or so had any real value.

The person who possessed those films at the time they were filmed probably didn't say, "You know, Greb will be regarded as one of the best of all time, and probably many of his fights won't be filmed. And one day there will be cable television and the internet and people will really want to see these."

It is very possible they got put in a basement or an attic and forgotten and the original owner died and whoever went through the belongings had no idea who Greb was, or that they were rare.

I, too, hope they emerge one day but the longer it goes without it happening, the more likely they will not.

5. burt bienstock

burt bienstock Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2010
    One astonoshing bit of boxing trivia is this fact : That not ONE of THREE of the busiest fighters ever, Jack Britton, Harry Greb and Maxie Rosenbloom, have NO SURVIVING film of their bouts today...
    Jack Britton.......344 bouts
    Harry Greb.........300 bouts
    Maxie Rosenbloom...299 bouts
    Totaling 943 fights and NOT ONE of these great fighters can be seen on film, whilst
    so, so many of their opponents can be seen on film today... Amazing coincidence...
    I truly believe we will never see Harry Greb in one of his 300 bouts ever...Sad but true...
    But happily I as a youngster was cuffed about by Soldier Bartfield, a tough old opponent that fought Harry Greb about 5 times...Strange also, but true...

Balder, BitPlayerVesti, BCS8 and 2 others like this.
  6. Hands of Iron

Hands of Iron #MSE Full Member

Feb 23, 2012
    The pinnacle of incompetence? :patsch

7. DaveK

DaveK Vicious & Malicious Full Member

Mar 2, 2009
    I think "irony" is more accurate...

It's a sad thing.

White Bomber likes this.
  8. Hands of Iron

Hands of Iron #MSE Full Member

Feb 23, 2012
    The idea that they only even intended to or did film four fights is astoundingly idiotic. Greb seems to have been pretty highly regarded in his own time. At what point do you put down that stinky ass cigar, remove your head from your ass and start filming a fight or two of who, as it turns out, may have been the greatest fighter to step in the ring? How oblivious could they be? :shock:

It's like the other day I read an article TheGreatA had posted and they had conveniently decided they weren't going to film Robinson-Gavilan II. That's just not something they were going to do and stuff (probably because one of them wasn't white). Thanks, you ****ing imbeciles. :hi:

White Bomber likes this.
  9. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    And you can find every major John Ruiz fight in a few google heartbeats...

Where is the justice?

BCS8 likes this.
  10. burt bienstock

burt bienstock Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2010
    HoI, Boxing films that still survive, are hoarded even today by collectors
    waiting to sell at the highest price, films of some great fighters of the poast and distant past...Even today as we post, depriving lovers of boxing lore the opportunity to evaluate seldom seen fighters of the past...
    For example : About two years ago on youtube, I stumbled across a rare but beautifully clear film of Tommy Gibbons, flattening a heavyweight named Jack Bloomfield in London, England in 1924...The manner in which the 34 year old master boxer Tommy Gibbons, ko'd Bloomfield with Joe Louis type power combos, opened my eyes to the calibre of fighter the 34 year old Gibbons was and I was more in awe of li'l ole Harry Greb ,a MW
    beating Gibbons several times...About 1 year ago I posted a request for the owner of the film to show it one more time for the benefit of today's
    ESB posters...To hide those films forever to the public possibly never to show such history is truly scandulous...Just as not filming Robinson/Kid Gavilan deprived posterity of a chance to evaluate those two great WWs,
    but for different reasons...I beseech the owner of the Gibbons/ Bloomfield fight in London to show it one more time for the fans...I would have...

BCS8 and White Bomber like this.
  11. Vic-JofreBRASIL

Vic-JofreBRASIL having fun Full Member

Aug 19, 2010
    I have a surprise soon in YT Burt ;) I ordered this fight from RB....

12. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    If that's the case it's gone forever, unless it was transferred.

13. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/0520250753/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=266239&s=books"]
    This content is protected
    [/ame]

14. luke

luke Well-Known Member Full Member

May 7, 2012

whats your youtube chan :D

15. Vic-JofreBRASIL

Vic-JofreBRASIL having fun Full Member

Aug 19, 2010