Harry Kid Matthews vs the following men

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by SuzieQ49, May 11, 2018.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I said it was considered a robbery and it was, I havent seen it.Dempsey gave 7 rounds even and at one time Layne was a protege of his. No it isnt speculation, you are deliberately implying by your wording that it took a fighter of Marciano's calibre to beat Mathews that is speculation!
    Mathews by- passed loads of real heavyweight contenders just as Cockell and Lastarza did.

2. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Great point. ;)

3. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    They beat the right men to give them that rating. You can’t take that away from them. You might say they were lucky to land those fights when they did, or that another contender could duplicate that result but this does not mean they didn’t deserve to win the fight. They could have flunked that fight. They didn’t so they legitimately earn that ranking. Being a hindsight Charlie after the event didn’t count at the time.

4. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I don't rate Mathews, Lastarza, or Cockell they had manufactured records,at heavyweight and both Lastarza and Mathews were very protected.You can call it smart management if you like.I say there reps were made on fighters who were badly in decline.

SuzieQ49 likes this.
  5. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    That’s your opinion after the event. Before the event they earned their high rating.

6. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    It would have been my opinion prior to the results, there subsequent decline was there to see for everyone who cared to look.

SuzieQ49 likes this.