Has Adam Smith permanently replaced Nick Halling on Sky commentary?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by yesihavearm2, Jan 14, 2017.

1. crixus85

crixus85 Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2014
    Nick's seems to be able to turn his hand to anything. Heard him commentating on a World's strongest man programme a few nights ago.

2. I Shot JR

I Shot JR Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2012
    It seems as if Smith is now preferred over Andy Clarke. Not sure who is doing the ITV cards but I'd imagine that he may be involved.

3. Ike-Man

Ike-Man Active Member Full Member

Mar 9, 2014
    He should have stuck to NFL, he was brilliant with that.

4. Mod-Mania

Mod-Mania Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 12, 2012
    He scored Kovelav-Ward 116-112 Ward, not what I'd call good.

5. goku23

goku23 Member Full Member

May 28, 2014
    So did Mallinagi, but everyone still thinks he's a shiteside better than Froch...which he is even though he had a horrid night with Ward-Kova.
    Smith is a lead commentator, there to call the action rather than offer his analysis. His scorecard means FA as long as he calls the fight somewhat well.
    He does it a lot better than Halling who would stop commentating before hiding his bias

6. Jamal Perkins

Jamal Perkins Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Smith is awful!! Growling away to a pre rehearsed script he does anything but call the action. His forced growling delivery really really grates particularly at the start of the night. He has no insight or any idea of whats going on......and always lines like "good right hand...chisora...."......"this is a great night for boxing" anytime you see a half decent match....Does a football commentator go on about this is a great night for football when a half decent match is played"??....Smith gives boxing a small time feel........His editing skills, his commenting skills and his ability to run SKY boxing is a joke.....Halling goes.....so he goes and gives himself the commentators job.......when would any head of any other sports department on SKY be commentating as well??........

Time to get a proper commentator in or bring back Halling who was pretty good and keep the 3 man team.

Oh and get rid of the AWFUL AWFUL froch who just repeats what Smith says and like Smith has no idea when to shut up and let the viewer observe the action........both would do well to recall the great Harry Carpenter....a trained journalist....who said the commentators job is to add to a picture, not state the bleeding obvious, and to know when to be quiet........

Silly billy likes this.
  7. crixus85

crixus85 Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2014
    Why is it necessary to have more than just the one commentator anyway?

8. yesihavearm2

yesihavearm2 ESB Chinchecker Full Member

May 30, 2008
    Smith and Froch were both very poor for the Jack/DeGale cast. I remember thinking the same every time Malignaggi isn't with them, the cast is much better when he's there as his insight usually breaks up Smith's monotony.

Here's Johnny and Jamal Perkins like this.
  9. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Hes not unfortunately. He caught a bit of flack for the Gavin Egington fight because his co commentators were so biased towards Gavin.

Very unfortunate but i really hope he gets more not less!

10. Sephiroth Rising 7

Sephiroth Rising 7 'No tears please!' banned Full Member

Sep 27, 2016
  11. yesihavearm2

yesihavearm2 ESB Chinchecker Full Member

May 30, 2008
    Macklin was amazingly bad that night. The guy should be no where near live casts.

12. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Ian Darke and Glen McCrory were the best pairing by a mile.......

13. Here's Johnny

Here's Johnny Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 18, 2015
    Darke is the best by a mile but he will probably be doing it on BT's shows.

14. Bensub

Bensub Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 17, 2015
    Money saving exercise keep all the money inhouse with smith multi tasking. Ha.

15. DirtyOldTown

DirtyOldTown Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Ian Darke was great. Hearing his voice on football just reminds me of the glory days of Naseem Hamed, Lewis, Tyson fights etc.

Wass1985 likes this.