has any fighter ever.....

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by shommel, Oct 1, 2008.

1. shommel

shommel Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 12, 2008
    been hit and then decide he didnt want to be there and literally ran and jumped out of the ring or told the ref "get him off ,i quit "? if so any footage? i believe carnera did this against baer.(horrible display of no courage or maybe good common sense lol)

2. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I don't know if Carnera really did that against Baer or not, from what I've seen on filn, he was in that ring standing up when the ref stopped it. As far as I'm concerned, leaving the ring couldnt be nearly as chicken-livered as the pitiful fainting display put up by Bruce Seldon when he fell 3 times without being really hit against Mike Tyson.

3. Dempsey1238

Dempsey1238 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 10, 2005
    I forget which Louis victim said it, but he said something among the lines to a ref, "Do anything, just dont let him hit me again".

4. la-califa

la-califa Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Oliver McCall quit against Lennox Lewis. There was another fighter, who fought Terry Norris. Was getting beat bad then was hit by a marginal low blow, He went into the full act & WON by disqualification! I think it was Luis Santana, but not sure.

5. Russell

Russell VIP Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Twas' Santana.

6. My dinner with Conteh

My dinner with Conteh Tending Bepi Ros' grave again Full Member

Dec 18, 2004
    Elisha Obed (vs Eckhard Dagge). Just packed it in and then claimed he couldn't see properly.

7. bum of the week

bum of the week Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2008
    It was King Levinsky.

8. bum of the week

bum of the week Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Carnera certainly didn't do that. He showed as much courage as could be asked for, being decked 11 times and fighting with a sprained ankle.

It' s rumoured that Marty Marshall jumped out of the ring, or at least tried to, in his rematch with Sonny liston, but i can't verify it.
    Sounds probable to me. If I found myself in the ring facing Sonny I'd certainly head for the nearest exit.

9. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Oakland Billy Smith got out of the ring and ran away from Archie Moore.

Oakland Billy Smith was mad. All kinds of mad things happened to him. Cocoa Kid tried to throw a fight against him, and it's like he shat himself and started acting all timid and the ref threw them both out. Maybe Smith was meant to throw the fight later and realised what was happenig and refused to go after the Kid and the the Kid starts falling over for no reason...maybe he was just mental. **** knows.

10. Mega Lamps

Mega Lamps Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 8, 2007
  11. smiffy

smiffy Well-Known Member Full Member

May 14, 2008
    nigel benn kind of quit in both fights against collins, when he realised what everyone else already knew, he was flogging a dead horse. horrible to witness.

12. My dinner with Conteh

My dinner with Conteh Tending Bepi Ros' grave again Full Member

Dec 18, 2004
    It seems here that mentioning a certain incident in Montreal is tantamount to shouting out "Macbeth" in the theatre. :yep

13. Holmes' Jab

Holmes' Jab Master Jabber Full Member

Nov 20, 2006
    then ... "Ohh me stomach. must've been that rib-eye steak I gorged earlier ...

... or perhaps it's just that Leonard didn't fight my fight this time and I couldn't take any more". :hey