Has anybody tried the peak a boo?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Mike_b, Jul 16, 2023.

1. Mike_b

Mike_b Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 9, 2020
    Have you guys ever used a Willie bag? Or perhaps did the peak a boo stance in sparring and/or in actual fights?

I bought a square punching bag that has holes on the side to tie around the heavy bag, I labelled it with the punches like Kevin Rooney/ cus D'Amato style. The numbers are super fun to hit.

I guess an alternative would be to simply draw numbers onto the heavy bag with a marker!

2. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 Born Again Gadfly Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    There’s a channel on YouTube created by a guy trained by Cus and he goes through a lot of the drills and techniques he knows.

Rollin and Mike_b like this.
  3. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
  4. captain hook

captain hook Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 11, 2011
    very good style if you fight a taller opponent. Also very exhausting, you must be in top shape because you work harder than your opponent. At first, you could get hit a lot until you master timing, fast slips, and circle jumping around your opponent. After all the hard footwork you finally have to hit the opponent mostly with hooks and uppercuts which will be your main punches.

With peek-a-boo style the point is to get into the close distance and stay there, clinch is where you rest. You use straight punches only to close distance or as feints. As soon you get close to your opponent you have to utilize your footwork to create different angles and punch.

when outside the distance, the normal guard could be used while slipping opponents straight punches. As soon you start closing the distance the legs should be more parallel and guard wider with tight elbows, so you can maintain a good balance while doing defensive elements going forward and punch with both hands with the same power.

Rafaman, Mike_b and lfcirishdog like this.
  5. Mike_b

Jul 9, 2020
    Who would you rather fight? A Micky ward: a boxer who delivered almost always to the liver who would throw head head body, or else b Tito Trinidad a head hunter who threw few but wicked hooks to the body? Which style would be more annoying to fight?

6. Mike_b

Jul 9, 2020
    Other than iron Mike, who was affective with the peak a boo or a peak a boo hybrid??

7. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    Jose Torres and Floyd Patterson

viperzero, Journeyman92 and Mike_b like this.
  8. Daryl

Daryl New Member Full Member

Sep 7, 2023
    I saw Tyson Fury doing it, was very surprised but he was named after the master

Mike_b likes this.
  9. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 Born Again Gadfly Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    To quote a wise poster. “Imitating to me doesn’t give the same results as originating” be careful.

Smoochie likes this.
  10. KingIronFist

KingIronFist New Member Full Member

May 25, 2012
    the Peak-a-boo is a nice way to gas out.

Yes Patterson was successful with it ,but at the same time, Patterson was VERY CAREFULLY steered away from hard punchers as we saw what Liston did.

As for Tyson. Peak-a-boo or no Peak-a-boo. That man could be discovered by anyone and still be a world champion. Because after prison, he just pretty much abandonned the head movement,combinations,footwork and became a slugger.

Smoochie likes this.
  11. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    We did it with tape marking spots on the bag sometimes.

Didn’t really teach the peek-a-boo but I can think of at least one guy who came from about an hour a way two or three times a week for a while to work out and spar with us who fought with a similar style and we’d work a lot on his bobbing and weaving as he advanced (he was a naturally aggressive pressure fighter).

Smoochie and Mike_b like this.