Has anyone else lost their A side status as quickly as AJ in recent history?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by lufcrazy, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Power_tek

Power_tek Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2018
    It’s all smoke and mirrors mate that’s what boxing is basically. It’s all a con.

Keleneki likes this.
  2. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    If the Ruiz fight fell through AJ would be lucky to get 50/50 with Fury.

3. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    You dont think hes going to get the lions share against Ruiz in their rematch?

I think youll find your mistaken m'man.

George Crowcroft and Special one like this.
  4. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Belts and prestige dont always matter when it comes to price splits, when one is a much better box office name.

Take Mayweather vs Gatti.

Mayweather had the prestige. Mayweather had the pedigree. Mayweather brought the p4p reputation.

Gatti was... Gatti.

Gatti got paid more.

Why? Because he sold more (at the time).

Point is... I highly doubt Fury gets more than AJ and Im almost sure Ruiz wont.

I'll bump this when their purses come out whether Im right or wrong. Im interested in seeing the split.

(Sidenote. Actually I think Ruizs purse might be predetermined for the rematch)

5. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    I think Ruiz will already have agreed to a purse for the rematch so I'd imagine that's set in stone now.

But I don't think AJ would get 50% or more against Fury.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  6. smiffyinoz

smiffyinoz Active Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2018
    why? What does Fury bring to the table? Joshua is more popular in the UK with the casuals. If the fight was announced tomorrow it would sellout Wembley in hours

7. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Fury is higher ranked, has the lineal title claim, isn't coming off a ko defeat.

8. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Can you give an example where a box office star gets paid less than his opponent because his opponent has a higher ranking?

I dont think thats usually the case.

Power_tek likes this.
  9. Mr Icaman

Mr Icaman 32-0 WBC Champ, Ring + Lineal HW Champ Full Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Silly thing is that if he does get beaten by Ruiz again they he will probs go back to the UK and fight cans, ko'ing them in a few rounds while making more money than the rest combined.

Fury and Wilder probs need AJ to make huge money more than AJ needs them which is why Wilder is so cross AJ lost..

10. Mr Icaman

Aug 31, 2015
    So GGG was the 'A' side against Canelo???

11. Mr Icaman

Aug 31, 2015
    In the US right now Fury could probably get 60/40 in his favour but unless he beats Wilder first I don't think right now he will still get 50/50 in the UK.

2 years who knows..

12. Special one

Special one Active Member Full Member

Mar 20, 2019
    He's the b side against Ruiz now yeah!? In a pre agreed rematch where purse splits will already have been decided. So Ruiz is getting more than Joshua in the rematch you believe!? Hahaha

13. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    One fight after Pac was KOd cold against JMM... he had his rematch with Bradley.

Bradley was the champion. Bradley was rated higher. Bradley also had a (bogus) win over Pac. Pac was recently a victim of KO of the year.

Bradley made $6 million.
    Pac made $20 million.

Why?

Again... because rankings and titles dont trump being the overwhelming attraction.

14. HappyClappy

HappyClappy Member Full Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Size of a fighters fanbase is what makes them either the A side or the B side. They are the ones who buy the tickets, buy the TV subscriptions and them who buy the PPV's. Money is what makes sport go round.

Wilder could have been the A side. The numbers could have been there based on the US population alone. But no, they messed around and Wilder was a nobody to the American general public until Fury came along. Now they are taking notice of him. Other than Fury or Wilder, Joshua will always be the A-side. Or at least until he gets 2 or 3 more losses on his record. Beating Ruiz in a rematch will be pivotal in his career imo. Make him or break him.

15. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    This is a unique situation, stars of this magnitude don't usually get knocked out in their prime and aren't usually pitted against prime unbeaten stars in their own right.