Has anyone ever recreated Willie Pep's alleged feat of winning a round without throwing a punch?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Sooncreate3, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Sooncreate3

Sooncreate3 Member Full Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Most of us boxing fans probably heard about the legend of Pep winning a round without throwing a punch when against Jackie Graves in 1946. Has anyone, especially a modern fighter, ever tried to recreate that feat? If not, what is the least amount of punches ever thrown in a round by a fighter and they end up winning that round?

2. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    I'm sorry to diffuse the legend, but I believe that's all it was, a legend. Bert was truly a great historian, witnessed a lot, was well studied, and a fun character in many ways, but I believe this was one of the things he would say to get people excited. Just like when he said Shavers hit Randy Cobb so hard that his neck twisted halfway around.

3. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Sorry to say it was a Bert Sugar con.

4. Mike Cannon

Mike Cannon Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2020
  5. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yeah, Joshua Clottey tried it vs Pacquiao.

6. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    I imagine Clottey was a frustrating fighter to be a fan of. Seemed like had some mental block that would always cause him to choke.

He had a golden opportunity against Cotto and pissed it away.

7. spinner

spinner Active Member banned Full Member

Jan 24, 2011
    I had a close friend here in St Paul, MN many moons ago whose best drinking buddy was the legendary Don Riley ~ the man who invented that story. Don used to have regular radio spots in which he often boasted of his drinking prowess and his punch line always was "me and my fellow drunken Irishmen". None of those tales had any real credibility but they were entertaining. I guess that's why the legend of Willie Pep's mythic round persists to this day.

8. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Well if he wanted to I'm sure Canelo could do it,,,,based on the judging I've seen

ron davis likes this.
  9. Maidanas Gun Tattoo

Maidanas Gun Tattoo Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2017
    Lol. His opponent tried it last night. Yildirim almost had round three won til the knockdown. The knockdown saved Canelos career!

Sooncreate3 and Reinhardt like this.
  10. Scratch

Scratch Active Member Full Member

Sep 8, 2007
  11. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I know RJJ became the first boxer in the compubox era to go a round without getting hit against Vinnie Paz.

Smokin Bert likes this.
  12. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Broner won the first round on two of the "judges" scorecards last weekend....and according to Compubox DID NOT THROW A SINGLE PUNCH in that round.

cross_trainer and djanders like this.
  13. El Gallo Negro

El Gallo Negro Active Member banned Full Member

Nov 8, 2020
    Two parts to this question:

A) the legend is bull**** just more narrative and propaganda pushed by elitist snobs that run boxing. This lame claim is actually a big reason I stopped believing that any fighter from the past smokes any fighter of the present, because without any video evidence, you can't trust anything they tell you about the past legends, because they make up so much BS about these guys. I actually HAVE watched video on Pep. The guy was impressive with his hands, but hardly the wizard that he is being sold to the kids today as

2) Oscar de la Hoya..... Believe it was 1997 against Miguel Angel Gonzalez, but I'm not 100% sure on that....but ODH was asked about a round in which he threw no punches, and that was answer, that he was trying to win a round without throwing any punches

cross_trainer and William Walker like this.
  14. ron davis

ron davis Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 2, 2013
    It would be like fighting Bruce Lee, you wouldn't be able to hit him, before you get kicked in the groin, and he never threw a punch. Just added for fun.:)

spinner and louis54 like this.