Has Canelo had too many controversial fights to be considered an ATG in the future ?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by MarkusFlorez99, Feb 25, 2024.

Poll

This poll will close on Nov 21, 2026 at 8:48 AM.
  1. Yes he's gotten too many gifts. He can never be an ATG

30.6%
  2. He has a few couple controversial fights but he can be an ATG of he builds a resime

61.1%
  3. Idk

8.3%
  1. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    ROFL I knew someone would bring up Antonio Margarito & that ludicrous hand wrap debacle. Show me one iota of proof Marg EVER tried to cheat. There was NO sign of Plaster & the wraps were deemed harmless by the independent lab that tested them. The CSAC were basically screwed They had no evidence to back their accusations up they could not indict him they'd be laughed out of court & Marg would have been a very rich man.
    So all they did was post " We still Believe Mr Margarito MAY have TRIED to cheat so we will not be returning his licence to box in Ca to him." What happened to the US law A suspect is considered innocent until proven guilty in a court of law . That was a kangaroo court we think he may have been guilty so we'll punish him anyway. I'll be perfectly honest if anyone had proven Margarito attempted to load his gloves I'd be on his azz harder than anyone of you, I detest cheaters, but they could not do it. They just ruined a mans career & tarnished an innocent mans name based on Richardson's lies about -plaster

2. C.J.

Apr 14, 2009
    You accept he won them because 3 renown Vegas judges said so when the vast majority of the boxing fraternity all thought GGG won both fights. I do not share your opinions sorry. I judge a fight fairly & without predjudice like the Vegas mafia should have done. I believe Canelo is a Fraud end of story. You can think what you wish

3. C.J.

Apr 14, 2009
    Kovalev fought & KO'd Yarde on 8-24-2019 Canelo then offered Kovalev to fight him on 11-2-2019 which he accepted even though it was only about 6 weeks away because Canelo said " Take it or leave it thats the date" Kov knew he'd never get another chance so took the fight which did not give him time to have a proper camp he needed the $$$$$$$$$$$

m.s. likes this.
  4. shadow111

shadow111 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Regardless of how you scored the Canelo GGG fights at MW, Canelo fought his ass off twice and gave a great account of himself both times. He tested GGG more than anyone ever did. Those first 2 were classics and anyone that says otherwise has an agenda. The 3rd fight was pathetic from GGG but he was 40 years old. I'm not gonna hold that against him due to his age but the first 2 fights were close, highly competitive and while I understand you thought GGG won them, to suggest that they weren't even close as you seem to do is just wrong. Both of those first 2 matches were extremely close and if you don't think that imho YDKSAB.

5. gneall

gneall Active Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2022
  6. m.s.

m.s. Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Its convenient isn't it?

7. m.s.

Nov 2, 2010
    Ok, so Chavez and Whitaker fought to a draw right?

8. m.s.

Nov 2, 2010
    True.

9. NoChin

NoChin Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 1, 2023
    Overrated but still great-ed. He is an all time great even if he shouldn't have got the draw and win over GGG the first two times. His greatness is overrated, but he is still great.

Not a Mayweather not even close. But still very, very good.

MarkusFlorez99 likes this.
  10. sdot_thadon

sdot_thadon Active Member Full Member

Jun 6, 2009
    We can't change history very well in 2024 yet can we? 100 years from now his record will still say 2-0-1 vs Golovkin. Was it correct? I feel like you could have given Golovkin the 1st fight but it's nowhere near the robbery I see claimed on the net. It was a close fight, the 2nd was close as well but I felt Canelo won that one. Shame on G for not being able to beat a "fraud" convincingly in 3 tries. But the reason I could care less is it's in the books set in stone. If it was going to change it would have happened by now. Fans need to understand how big the concept of swing rounds can affect scores.....

Fogger likes this.
  11. sdot_thadon

sdot_thadon Active Member Full Member

Jun 6, 2009
    His name was never cleared of wrong doing and the court documents are online for your viewing pleasure. You're a one man crusade to clear his name, but this is for another thread.

Your biases against certain fighters is super loud and clear and you throw mud on guys name who were in fact cleared of wrong doing. You never produced a name of who is the king of boxing if not Alvarez. I'd love to hear it.

12. m.s.

Nov 2, 2010
    The writing was on the wall before the fight. I say its convenient because robberies a seldom changed and that is the way it was planned.

13. ElCyclon

ElCyclon Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 2, 2012
    2-3 "controversial" decisions in over 60 fights is much to do about nothing.

Fogger and sdot_thadon like this.
  14. Rollin

Rollin Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 17, 2021
    Golovkin I and II, Lara, Trout for some, clear biased 115-113 cards during the Bivol fight. That, and sixty fights for a can-crushing mexican is not dilluting what happened during the most important ones.

C.J. and MarkusFlorez99 like this.
  15. Grinder

Grinder Dude, don't call me Dude Full Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Clenelo's career was built upon the foundation of the first GGG fight. It gave him A-side status and the chance to pick and choose moving forward. Then he ducked Benavidez who missed weight and fought an extremely compromised Kovalev in a very suspicious fight. He wins fights with a granite ped chin, not really the material of an ATG.

C.J., steviebruno and MarkusFlorez99 like this.