Has Eddie made a mistake

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Odell86, Feb 18, 2022.

1. Odell86

Odell86 New Member Full Member

Nov 17, 2021
    I was sold the DAZN model after watching predominately Eddie’s interviews and bought into it but now I’m beginning to think he may have made a mistake. I tell my mates abouts fights past and present on DAZN and they don’t even know what DAZN is. It really isn’t good for casual fans. If boxxer can continue like this through out the year there is good competition and I like it

2. Odell86

Odell86 New Member Full Member

Nov 17, 2021
    It’s really interesting how it’s all gonna pan out ……

3. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    No he has not made a mistake he has got in early. DAZN will take over sports entertainment in the next 10 years.

Scissors likes this.
  4. Terminator

Terminator Active Member Full Member

Dec 9, 2020
    Yes he has made a mistake. Dazn will go bankrupt within the next year

Frankie Blue Eyes and Jurgen like this.
  5. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Time will tell.

Obviously I want DAZN to work out to effectively stop PPV events. To have regular decent cards for a reasonable fee for a streaming platform should be an aim. Rather than go the American way of charging an extortionate amount for PPV fights and fighters to be inactive like the PBC stable.

However at the moment promotions still pushing for PPV events have the upper hand at present when attempting to make big fights with other promotions boxers. As we seen with Canelo making his last fight with PBC and DAZN losing the Whyte vs Fury purse bid.

To have Usyk Vs AJ rematch on DAZN instead of skysports would be a massive boost to DAZN marketability in UK( if they choose to do so).

Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
  6. BiggieL

BiggieL Active Member Full Member

Aug 13, 2015
    If Usyk-Joshua 2 is on DAZN instead of Sky, it will 100% be PPV mate

7. bladesman

bladesman Active Member Full Member

May 31, 2015
    In the short term undoubtedly. All depends on if he can dig out of the hole he willingly jumped in or even if he needs to. Globally he might be just fine but in the UK matchroom relegated itself.

DramaShow and Brixton Bomber like this.
  8. Astro

Astro Active Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2021
    It is far too early to pass judgment. The next 18 - 24 months will be incredibly exciting to follow. Momentum is not with Matchroom right now, but that may change ...

9. destruction

destruction Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    In the U.K. market the holy grail for any sports channel is premier league football.

Unless DAZN can come to an alliance and get rights to it then it’s going to struggle.

As a start up you can only fund yourself with huge loans and new investors for so long. Eventually you need to return a profit and start repaying all that seed money.

DAZN needs to start turning a profit otherwise it’s good night Vienna

aaaaa and Brixton Bomber like this.
  10. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    I agree with this. Although it may not necessarily be DAZN that takes over but I do feel all sports will slowly migrate to streaming services.

djfonti likes this.
  11. Cally

Cally Sand...sand... nothing but sand! Full Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Always risky leaving the machine that is the sky platform, they instantly have reach where others dont.

Bad move from hearn, trying to be bigger than sky sports is never going to end well for a boxing promoter.

The king is dead, long live the king...

12. Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger Active Member Full Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Globally I expect they’re fine, but things aren’t looking good for them in the UK. He should probably have moved to America and focused 100% of his efforts over there. The success of his business surely depends on how well he does over there, not on how many tickets Johnny Fisher and Conor Benn can sell here. It seems he wastes a lot of time on small time stuff.

13. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    I think he underestimated just how powerful Sky are, and that MR aren't the powerhouse he thinks they are.

Legs are shaky right now though.

Frankie Blue Eyes, aaaaa and Jurgen like this.
  14. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    I would say in football terms he has went from Liverpool and Manchester City in the UK and turned into an average side such as Southampton. A side with 2-3 good players with the rest bang average.

Huge mistake leaving Sky.

15. Puroresu_Fan

Puroresu_Fan Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Len Blatvnik just pumped another $4.3 billion into DAZN.

His not walking away anytime soon.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
    Sonny1 and Scissors like this.