Has Jermain Taylor Been Tested as Pavlik Was Tested Against Miranda?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by acb, Sep 26, 2007.

1. acb

acb De Camaguey... Gavilan Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I understand that Taylor has fought the superior competition in his two fights with Bernard and his fight with Winky.

But Im looking back on his career and wondering if he has ever had to display the guts that Pavlik had to display against Miranda, and cant think of an occasion.

I think that Pavliks last fight being such a gut check actualy gives him a substantial advantage over Taylor. I think that if things get ugly with Taylor he will fall back on the experience and find a way to beat Taylor, who has squeaked out some close decisions as of late.

Pavlik in an upset. :yep

2. 41fever

41fever Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 16, 2005
    I think Pavlik has a very good chance, but i expect Jermain to really bring it

3. DanePugilist

DanePugilist God vs God - Death Angel Full Member

Oct 14, 2006
    Taylor was somewhat gutsy to take the first Hopkins fight. Then again, he had really nothing to lose.

Since then he has not done something gutsy really - maybe Hopkins II, considering how the first panned out, but I think he just thought about the money, really.

Miranda was hyped up to something he wasn't, but that wasn't Pavliks fault - he took a gutsy chance, in a fight with little reward vs risk - something that Taylor havent done in a loooooooong time.

4. brooklyn1550

brooklyn1550 Roberto Duran Full Member

Mar 4, 2006
    Like you said, he's been tested against the better competition.

Winky Wright really put presure on him in their fight, cut off the ring at times and pounded away, but Taylor took it and fought his way to a draw. Granted Winky doesn't punch as hard as Miranda, nearly as hard for that matter, but he did bring the fight to Jermain during many parts of the fight.

Taylor has never been tested like Pavlik as far as facing a huge puncher. But the heat Miranda put on Pavlik wasn't as much as what Winky put on Jermain at times. Pavlik was imposing his own physical strength, backing Edison up and ultimately setting him up for the 7th round stoppage. Miranda never really put extreme heat on Pavlik like he did to many other of his opponents, but he did land some big right hands flush on Kelly's chin, so in that regard, I would say Pavlik's chin has been tested against the bigger power punchers.

So I think Taylor has been tested against the better competition, while Pavlik has been tested against a more powerful puncher (as I don't think Jermain has fought a real power-punching middleweight yet).

I expect Taylor to give it his all on Saturday night, however, I am sticking with Pavlik to take the title from the champ, and do so convincingly.

5. Kostya Zoo

Kostya Zoo Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 6, 2006
    that's a good post, I agree :good

6. Jose FM

Jose FM Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 29, 2007
    The difference between the Pavlik/Miranda & Taylor/Wright fights are that:
    1. Pavliks plan was to back up Miranda, nobody thought he would and he did. Whereas Taylor was expected to fight toe to toe with Winky cause he was the bigger man, and keep his hands up cause Winky was a southpaw. So Pavlik executed his plan, Taylor didnt.
    2. When you see the two fights you notice that when Miranda fights back and tries to back up Pavlik, Pavlik starts boxing and eventually puts his punches together to lead to a knock out. When Winky put the pressure on Taylor, Taylor backed up into the ropes. So again, Pavlik knew what to do in that situation.
    3. While its true that Winky put more pressure on Taylor on Miranda on Pavlik, it was Taylors job to not allow that to happen. So how is Taylor supposed to fight Pavlik toe to toe, he cant be serious cause i just dont see that happening!
    Pavlik 9th round KO.

7. o_money

o_money Boxing Junkie banned

Apr 8, 2006
    good post jose.

People talk about Taylors experience in big fights. What does that experience tell us? that taylor isn't able to do what he is supposed to? Maybe. and if so how much of an advantage is his big fight experience?

8. tays001

tays001 ESB ELITE SQUAD Full Member

Mar 6, 2006
    i tell you this right no taylor won' ko pavlik. miranda landed some flush shot and pavlik took with a smile. if jermian beat pavlik it's on cut or sd. on the other hand the ? is can taylor take though flush shots from a big power hittimng MW?. we'll se on saturday im going for pavlik but not counting taylor out both men want to prove a point wichmeans we'll get a great fight

9. bigeddie27

bigeddie27 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 7, 2007
    taylor did fight hopkins and winky, so yes he was tested.

10. cuchulain

cuchulain VIP Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    He's supposed to win.

And he HAS !

11. teetop

teetop Active Member Full Member

Feb 4, 2007
    This is a very good thread, and no he hasn't. Taylor has been tested in
    terms of boxing smarts and style adjustment, and he has fared well. However, he has NEVER faced a big, physical, and brutal punching
    guy who can take his best shots and will keep coming after him all night. Taylor will have to fight pavlik, and nobody knows if he can man up and with this monster.

I still like pavlik by KO in this fight.

12. rodney

rodney Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Miranda was nothing but a good work out for PavliK.

13. brooklyn1550

brooklyn1550 Roberto Duran Full Member

Mar 4, 2006
    Good points:good

14. tays001

tays001 ESB ELITE SQUAD Full Member

Mar 6, 2006
    man right on with the post:good . i too got pavlik by ko around 9 or 10 but im not counting JT out pavlik aint got the best skin and sometimes speed kills

15. Motor City Sam

Motor City Sam Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Taylor fought Hopkins and Winky, two guys holding spots on the pound for pound list. I love Miranda, but even his fans know he is limited as a boxer, depending on his power to carry him through. In my opinion, Taylor has been tested more.

Of course, Miranda was more tested than Pavlik when they fought, so it might not matter once they step in the ring.