Has there not been any MMA representation of ninjutsu since the pioneer days?

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by IntentionalButt, Jul 19, 2020.

1. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    ...ie like Scott Morris and Steve Jennum in the second, third, and fourth UFC tournaments?

Hatsumi - the scion of Takamatsu, aka "Mōko no Tora (Mongolian Tiger)" and "The Last Shinobi" - apparently still teaches in Chiba even though he's pushing 90. That means he outlasted his rogue American pupil Robert Bussey (coach of Morris in UFC 2) by a couple of decades.

I remember when Lyota Machida hit the scene his catchphrase was "karate is back" - although in reality there was never any lengthy absence of karatekas in MMA. There may not have been too many whose primary discipline was listed as Shōtōkan like him, but there was probably never a shortage of people that incorporated some background if not active ongoing practice into their overall cross-training...as by his day pretty much everybody used more or less the same base disciplinary elements (the 'big 3/4' of wrestling, boxing and jiu-jitsu...with perhaps Muay Thai coming nearest to as essential and universal in MMA gyms). But truly if somebody did pop up today showing off proportionately as much ninpō in his game as Machida did karate, it would be the first time it was displayed in 2½ decades.

And before you laugh it off, remembering how Pat Smith destroyed Morris, here is his less-remembered fight directly before that on the same night:

Daugherty was no ATG or anything (even his claim of being 14-0 with two knockouts is dubious and probably wasn't vetted by the org in those wild and lawless days), obviously but this was still a prettily executed sub finish. Plus, nobody can ever take away Jennum's place in the annals - first tourney champ (albeit as an alternate with zero qualifying bouts). :sisi1

2. outtieDrake

outtieDrake Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 17, 2009
    There hasn't been a real ninjutsu practitioner since the Meiji era began of Japan. It belongs in the category of kendo and other sword fighting MA.

3. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Well, yes, clearly there haven't been 'real' ninjas in the lifetime of anyone currently alive. The schools originated by Hatsumi and some contemporaries in Japan in the middle of the last century and some of their offshoots in other countries are more like syncretic blends of (mostly Japanese, and some Chinese) fighting styles containing if anything maybe faint traces of classical authenticity from techniques actual ninjas may have once used. But given that something like, say, TKD was proven so lacking in those 'martial arts testing' days compared with other, superior arts to draw upon for kicking (MT being the big one, and to a lesser extent savate) but you still have guys today dabbling in TKD - you'd think we might see a few more pro fighters clinging to at least the name of ninjutsu and learning from the relics of the syncretic 90's schools.

4. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Ninjutsu. Damn, easily the best sounding art of them all.

Pat Smith FUGGED Morris UP!

5. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006

Yep. :scared1

Crazy that in those days Big John McCarthy didn't even have the option to stop it until the corner's towel came in.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  6. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Damn! Pat was legit.

John was clueless back then, if anything.

Those early UFC's were as real as it gets.

7. outtieDrake

outtieDrake Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Big John ^^ was somewhere else mentally.

8. DONT B SCARED

DONT B SCARED Pimpin Aint Easy Full Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Not sure if he still does but Anderson silva did quite a bit of training ninjitsu

9. shanemfr

shanemfr Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 29, 2004
    If they were allowed to throw Ninja stars and blow darts they would be a force in the cage .

latineg likes this.
  10. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    No because bullshido which thrived in the pre internet era can't thrive anymore. These guys were charilitans just like Frank Dux, George Dillman or Ashida Kim - Albeit far less overt or harmless ones. Still have to say there's a certain raw charm watching the early primitive and formative days of MMA that has since been lost.

BCS8 and latineg like this.
  11. GlassJoe

GlassJoe 1-99 TBE Full Member

Dec 8, 2012
    Jeremy Horn was a Ninjutsu black belt under Robert Bussey. He had a very successful MMA career.

12. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    I'm very familiar with Gumby; him choking Chuck out ranks as probably my favorite pioneer-era UFC upset. I honestly had no idea (or completely forgot) he had a ninjutsu background.

GlassJoe likes this.
  13. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    There was a third Bussey ninja guy who fought in UFC 9. He lost, but he kept pretty calm on the bottom, all things considered, against (IIRC) a much bigger BJJ guy. He'd also won lower level UFC 1 style events before coming to the Octagon.

The reason McCarthy didn't stop Pat Smith / Scott Morris is because the rules literally prohibited it. Morris's corner had to throw in the towel. Instead, Bussey (apparently a dickhead) tossed the towel into the crowd. Scott Morris may well have ended up dying in the ring for the honor of ninjutsu if Pat Smith hadn't figured out what was happening and stopped punching.

IntentionalButt likes this.
  14. GlassJoe

GlassJoe 1-99 TBE Full Member

Dec 8, 2012
    I think that you're talking about Matt Anderson. He had a winning record in MMA and was pretty skilled.

IntentionalButt likes this.
  15. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Absolutely this. Ninjutsu is synonymous to me with bull**** merchant. In fact I remember the site Bullshido used to come down hard on these dudes. Anybody who wants to see what happens when a 'death touch' woohoo-shu guy goes up against a genuine fighter needs look no further than Edson Carvahlo vs Igor Vovchanchyn.

UnleashtheFURY likes this.