Has there not been any MMA representation of ninjutsu since the pioneer days?

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by IntentionalButt, Jul 19, 2020.

1. GlassJoe

GlassJoe 1-99 TBE Full Member

Dec 8, 2012
    I've taken boxing, Ninjutsu (taijutsu the unarmed combat specifically), Judo, etc. I can tell you first hand that it's legitimate and combines many elements found in Judo, Jujutsu, etc. It's legitimately the first MMA art entirely out of necessity. It is a very "real world" art which had to adapt to what works and discard what didn't as a fighting and killing art of the poverty striken to be used against unscrupulous samurai. Where it fails today is those who adhere specifically to an older version of it and remain static. I've met Frank Dux and have no problem with what he teaches. He teaches a hybrid version of Ninjutsu/Jeet Kune Do/Jujutsu. If it works...

2. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Ehhhh. Maybe if whatever you learned was an amalgam of useful arts like Judo etc it could be worthwhile.

I'm aware of the history of the ninja.

3. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    @BCS8, you and @UnleashtheFURY might be mistaking aspects of something being exaggerated to a cartoonish degree in mass-media (plus others having always been hogwash in the first place) with the whole of it having been entirely useless. Baby with the bath water. Most of the kung fu disciplines still taught (as in, surviving the cull of the 90s and the MMA boom and proven to have some merit as hand to hand combat tools) originally had some degree of magical nonsense stirred in with the actual meat and potatoes.

4. GlassJoe

Dec 8, 2012
    Why is that? Most of Ninjutsu unarmed combat is incredibly similar to Judo and Jujutsu. The aspect that is lacking, much like BJJ, is the striking.

5. BCS8

Aug 21, 2012
    Judo is useful. That much I know.

GlassJoe likes this.
  6. BCS8

Aug 21, 2012
    The problem with "ninjutsu" is the question of lineage (tracing back to actual; ninja clans) and of content, where a lot of the 'ninjutsu' that has been taught was a pile of garbage that was probably more useless than useful. Now you could argue that wasn't 'real' ninjutsu, whatever that may be, and fair enough in that case. If there's a modern discipline they call ninjutsu that incorporates jiujitsu style techniques in addition to whatever else comes with the course, then I'd retract my objections in that case.

Modern MMA has really done a lot to weed out the fakery in the heat of actual combat.

cross_trainer and GlassJoe like this.
  7. GlassJoe

Dec 8, 2012
    Ninjutsu is very similar. I love Judo. That's my stuff. My grandfather taught it and it was incredible to practice and learn. Watching Karo Parisyan (before the drug problems) was amazing. Combat Sambo though? Wow, just so unbelievable. That's the artform that I wish was more frequently represented in MMA, beyond Fedor Emelianenko, Khabib, etc.

BCS8 likes this.
  8. BCS8

Aug 21, 2012
    I did Judo as a kid. Didn't get very far but even the little I learned was useful. I remember being able to throw and pin a bully that was bothering us at school, even though he was much larger than us. Sadly I knew no submissions and I was scared that if I let him go he'd pound me, so I had to spin him round and round on the ground until the bell for the end of recess rang and the teachers came out :lol:

cross_trainer and GlassJoe like this.
  9. GlassJoe

Dec 8, 2012
    I would agree. A great deal of what is taught as Ninjutsu really isn't, but then again, Robert Bussey maintained a great deal of the tradition while also continuing to learn and modernize as well. I guess it all depends on the case, in a case by case manner. I guess that's basically all of life though haha.

IntentionalButt and BCS8 like this.
  10. GlassJoe

Dec 8, 2012
    There's now freestyle no gi Judo built for MMA. I love that. IMO Judo is really an art that's been hampered to a degree by it's Olympic traditions as they discourage Olympians and other prime athletes from competing in MMA until after their Judo career has ended, as well as their prime athletic years haha.

BCS8 likes this.