Hatton mania?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by doggyland, Dec 8, 2007.

1. doggyland

doggyland Active Member Full Member

Jul 26, 2004
    WTF is going on?

Saturday cooks ended with that fat bloke going 'cmon Ricky!'
    So did Soccer AM.
    BBC News are covering it.
    The newspapers are full of Ricky.
    Everyone on the tube and bus this week was a boxing afficionado and going on about Hatton being the best in the world :shock: :lol: Just like Beckham :good

Will all these new fans **** off next week?

I suppose it's good for the sport - but i find it really annoying when people talk about the fight and they haven't a clue - last fight they watched was a Naseem fight...They also think Amir is a world champion:deal

Anyway - C'mon Ricky :happy

2. baguettesurgeon

baguettesurgeon Member Full Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Everyone is an expert now that predicts Hatton will win by KO because of all the media hype, at least this is mainstream though which can only be a good thing.

3. Jack Dempsey

Jack Dempsey Legend Full Member

Jun 13, 2005
    I'm stunned, I can't remember the last time there was boxing in the paper every day for a week!!

4. Jack Dempsey

Jun 13, 2005
    P.S.

The Soccerette this morning was ****ing lovely!!

5. doggyland

doggyland Active Member Full Member

Jul 26, 2004
    That's what i mean Jack - it is reminding me of when McGuigan fought Pedrosa - about '85 i think.
    I suppose it can only be a good thing.

6. The Kurgan

The Kurgan Boxing Junkie banned

Nov 16, 2004
    Oh noez! People are talking about boxing! It's status as a forgotten sport is under threat!

Thank Heimdall we have Skelton, Williams and Matthews prepped to destroy this disturbing trend as soon as possible.

7. Jack Dempsey

Jun 13, 2005
    :lol: :yep

8. scurlaruntings

scurlaruntings ESB 2002 Club Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    To be honest as much as i hate the hype its great great news for boxing.ALL my friends know im a hardcore boxing fan and my phone hasnt stop ringing all day with people asking me who i thinks gona win or where im watching the fight. It kind of reminds me of the days of old.Bottom line is BIG TIME boxing is back! Boxing has had a great great year and probably the best of the decade this fight is just a great way to close out the year.Hopefully 2008 can be just as good.

Can you guys imagine the media frenzy if Hatton and Witter are involved in a unification on these shores?

9. SevenSamurai

SevenSamurai 3 year ESB vet. Full Member

Aug 18, 2005

10. scurlaruntings

Jul 19, 2004
    O yes of course because the British public know who Mayweather is right? It wouldnt matter if Hatton was fighting a goat his been marketted right from the beginning and the media are completely behind with his "down to earth" and "boy next door" story which they`ve conviniently latched on to.If you cant see the significance nor the magnitutde of this bout for British bragging rights then you need your head examined.

11. rydersonthestorm

rydersonthestorm Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Just like the british public know who junior witter is:huh

12. scurlaruntings

Jul 19, 2004
    Just like they new who Aldo Rios was, Vince Phillips, Ben tackie, Dennis Pedersen, would you like me to continue?

I mean what dont you guys get? You have 2 world champs at 140 both of which are British? Both of which are in the same division as the 1 and 2. The significance of this bout is important what more do you need to understand?:patsch

13. phonk

phonk Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 19, 2007
    He did almost sell out the vast Doncaster Dome against Vivian Harris

14. rydersonthestorm

rydersonthestorm Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Sorry but your talking out of your arse mayweather vs hatton is a million times more significant than a fight with witter, he is probably more well known than witter in england as witter has fought nobodies for 99% of his career.
    Witter has done nothing to really warrent a fight with hatton and if he was serious about doing something he wouldn't have put in so many boring performances against nobodies.
    Hatton doesn't need junior witter so why the **** should he fight him, low reward high risk fight, he can fight the likes of cotto or odlh how can witer compare to that.
    If witter had any sense he would have fought better boxers and put himself into a position so that he would be a rated champion and a hatton fight would be a big deal to the british public.

15. Big Ears

Big Ears Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 5, 2005
    I think we could all see the significance but that doesn't mean it sells .
    Mayweather v Hatton is the first fight since Lewis v TYson to gain the publics attention in Ireland . Hatton v Tszyu , Mayweather v DLH and Tyson McBride all made ripples but Mayweather v Hatton has made a tidal wave .

From what I've heard Mayweather v Hatton has grasped the general publics attention even more so in Britain and it is all to do with the selling of the fight and the quality of it .

HBO would barely do a countdown episode for Hatton v Witter(which wouldn't get shown in the UK) , nevermind 4 24/7 episodes .
    The written press wouldn't big it up that much either .

It would probably be on Setanta/Sky which wouldn't help either and although anywhere reasonably sized would sell out this would be nerely all would Hatton fans who would watch him against Jonathon Ross in a game of tiddlywinks .

Junior Witter is a fantastic fighter
    Junior Witter is a fantastic fighter who can't draw flies to **** .