Hatton versus Witter

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by UndisputedUK, Jun 25, 2007.

1. UndisputedUK

UndisputedUK Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 20, 2006
    If Ricky Hatton and Junior Witter were to get it on in the UK what sort of purse would the fight generate? Would it be the biggest UK fight ever? :?

2. sean

sean pale peice of pig`s ear Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    nope

witter has never been a big name fighter , mainly thanks to warren keeping witter on the back burner.

hatton is the name fighter .

for example something like lewis v bruno was much bigger , so was benn eubank.

in fact with the advent of sky many of the fights like watt v o grady /davis etc etc were much bigger even if the money is greater now.

before my time but boxing in the 60`s especially heavy`s in the uk had huge national intrest.

my guess is witter would barely register on the uk public`s recognition factor.

not his fault , just the way boxing has gone due to its dilution and ppv tv.

3. Tony Harrison

Tony Harrison Active Member Full Member

Jan 30, 2007
    I don't think Witter is completely innocent when it comes to being avoided, having low purses etc. His fights are consistantly dull and frustraiting affairs due to his style.

4. scurlaruntings

scurlaruntings ESB 2002 Club Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    I take it you never saw is his 15 fight KO streak then..

5. Tony Harrison

Tony Harrison Active Member Full Member

Jan 30, 2007
    He's got a decent dig on him for sure but he hasn't been what I would deem an exciting fighter for a long time.

I can't remember who his first defence was against but it was an incredibly dull affair which ended with a solid body shot from Witter.

I'm not slagging the guy off, he is a tough customer who nobody is falling over themselves to fight, I just don't think he pushes himself and is happy to coast along in fights. His fight with Colin Lynes is a good example, he looked awful (albeit against a tricky opponent).

6. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Hatton has to be scared of Witters DIRTY UPPERCUT! That **** will make your head spin.

Ultimately Witter will find out who is daddy is. I really want to see it.

Hatton should make that his next bout if he is to fight a 140 pounder. Otherwise fight Casa or Diaz.

7. scurlaruntings

Jul 19, 2004
    I do agree.But unfortunately for Witter FW ****ed him royally.But at the same rate he fights down to the level of his opponent and this hampers him badly.I guess in some respects its no diffrent to Hattons performance vs Urango and Collazo.Except Lynes on the world scene is a nobody.Witter`s prime is past him.If he can do a job on Harris like he did with N`dou he will get noticed.But his on the wrong side of 30.

8. scurlaruntings

Jul 19, 2004
    I want to see Hatton against EVERY belt holder at 140.None of them are particularly strong champs or big names.But if Hatton never makes the Witter fight he can NEVER be forgiven.By the time them to get it on il be pushing up daisys.

9. achillesthegreat

Jul 21, 2004
    I disagree. Paulie has a belt because of Hatton. As does M'Baye. Torres has one because of Cotto. All three are good but none of them have set themself apart.

Witter is the title holder to face.

Hatton doesn't want to give Witter anything. He doesn't like him. I see where he is coming from but I want it sorted out in the ring.

Hatton clearly isn't scared of Witter, you don't fight Castillo and Tszyu and run from Witter.

10. scurlaruntings

Jul 19, 2004
    O yes you do.Styles and mileage Achilles.Witters clock is clean.He has a defensive style and bodywise his fresh as a daisy.His a southpaw with dynamite in both hands.Hatton has repeatedly refused to face him making up a myriad of excuses along the way.If he hates the guy that bad fight him.Witter already said he`d fight Hatton for free and i truly believe him.If he lost no cash.What better offer than that.Hatton must unify 140 and he must fight Witter.

11. Badman B

Badman B New Member Full Member

Mar 4, 2006
    ye he did say hed fight him for free, and even give hatton his purse if he lost

12. achillesthegreat

Jul 21, 2004
    **** styles. Why look bad to get no credit?

Witter is clearly above them all in the pecking order. They are all good fights but Witter is way above them. Obviously Casa and Diaz are above Witter.

Witter is a mess.

Funny how you believe Witter but when Hatton says he doesn't want Witter to get anything off his back, you don't believe him. Anyone who saw the build up on Setanta knows Hatton thinks Witter is a ****. Hatton simply doesn't like that cocky ****ish approach. That's why he also thinks Floyds a dick.

Do you know how many times fighters have offered to fight for free and don't. Who pays for Witters three months training camp? Who pays for his expenses to go to pay conferences? His supplements and food etc? It costs a pretty penny getting ready for a fight.

13. Max Molyneux

Max Molyneux Liverpool Liver Tickler Full Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Hatton Vs Witter leaves a lot of unanswered questions so I definitely would look forward to a Hatton V Witter fight If they got It on.

Lack of popularity doesn't justify Hatton not wanting the fight though, HBO has accepted worse names so why not Witter? Witter was and Is clearly a higher contender at 10 stone than Castillo.

Castillo was a great win though considering Jose was never downed or KO'ed clean!

14. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Witter is the only fight I want to see Hatton in at 140..... as for unifying forget it he's something like a 5 time IBF champion already coz of those dumb ass holes. I'll be gutted if they follow up the Castillo win with a Maligianni fight- Hatton deserves better. Me I'd match him with Witter, then Cotto then if succesful Pretty boy. Personally I think Cotto beats him but i'd have great fun finding out.

15. faisal

faisal Hoolios daddy Full Member

Feb 24, 2007
    The only thing witter has that would interest hatton is his belt, its much better then the shitty IBO.