hatton vs calzaghe

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by hotshot, May 17, 2018.

1. zulander

zulander Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2006
    He got put down V Mitchell looked stunned then basically went to war with him. Landed a few shots one of which isn't a clean shot but Mitchell then wobbles over to the far side of the ring and the ref waved it off.

Calzaghe at his finest, Lacy or Kessler was a joy

stittyb likes this.
  2. delboy82

delboy82 Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 18, 2014
    Back then I preferred Hatton. I was younger and he was more current i think. I also remember watching his career from start to finish.

Now Calzaghe all day, I can appreciate he was the more skilled fighter, if his hands didnt go he would have been truly special.

I watched Hatton as his career unfolded at the time. I went back and caught up with Calzaghe's fights. If i was asked which career I would prefer to rewatch it would be Calzaghe's

3. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Defo hattons. As I remember it a lot of people lost interest in joes career. Calzaghes career peaked at the right time caught hattons on the downward slide. A lot of hattons fans we,re ready to jump...who else better than another Brit who was flying high at the time.

But for all the calzaghe,s was better...makes you wonder why hatton had such a massive fanbase...and following from pretty much all over Britain if calzaghes was the more exciting boxer to watch.

Personally definitely hatton. Was all action from the first bell...worked guys over brilliantly mixing up body and head...and threw proper punches that actually looked like they hurt. Pretty sure hatton could have had a career like calzaghes if he didn't show ambition. I still don't think their was much between them in terms of level. Hattons punished for his style from boxing anoraks. he was basically a pressure fighter. Calzaghe was as well actually but because hattons reach/height wasn't,t great he had to get inside to be really effective. He managed that very well...which in itself takes a high level of skill.

Potwash and JeremyCorbyn like this.
  4. JeremyCorbyn

JeremyCorbyn Active Member Full Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Yeah, that describes my feelings pretty much.

I think when Hatton lost to Mayweather, Calzaghe picked up all the accolades from the general public that Hatton was potentially going to take, Calzaghe even nipped in and took the Sports Personality of the Year award that was surely heading for Hatton, had he beaten Mayweather. But wasn't to be for Hatton, still though, had many a good night in the pubs when he was fighting, so he will always have a special place in my heart.

At the end of the day, Hatton was loved in a way that I don't think Calzaghe ever was, just one of those things, doesn't mean that Calzaghe was a bad boxer or boring or anything like that, but sometimes in sport, a bit like Bruno I suppose, there is a tidal wave of support for a guy that is hard to emulate and is maybe just a once in a generation thing.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    bbjc and Potwash like this.
  5. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    We simply never know how good Joe was as all his fights post Lacy/Kessler were not legacy defining fights.

Thought he was a class act myself but many remain unconvinced

6. DJN16

DJN16 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Liked both of them. At the time maybe Hatton but now with retrospect probably Calzaghe. Excellent all round fighter.

7. Mayweather 2.0

Mayweather 2.0 New Member banned Full Member

Apr 28, 2018
    Calzaghe. He was probably the best fighter ever to lace them up

8. bailey

bailey VIP Member Full Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Calzaghe

Wasnt a fan of Hattons style.
    Found Calzaghes career greater to watch and rate his career higher.
    Calzaghe was head and shoulders above the SMWs but I felt Hatton wasnt interested in facing many LWWs when around like Corley, Witter, Judah

9. bailey

bailey VIP Member Full Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Was B Mitchell

stittyb likes this.
  10. sid

sid Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 2, 2013