Hatton, Witter and Mayweather

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by UndisputedUK, Sep 12, 2007.

1. UndisputedUK

UndisputedUK Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 20, 2006
    Is it generally accepted that Hatton and Witter are 1 and 2 in the 140lb division now?

They need to fight now don't they?

Is it more likely or less likely to happen if Hatton beats Mayweather?

Also, Witter has enough pop to KO Hatton?

2. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Hatton is number 1 and everyone else is undecided.

The consensus should dictate that Witter is number 2. Witters has had 3 50-50 fights in his past 5 fights. This has to be respected. N'dou, Corley and Harris were all tipped to beat him.

Witter is a pain in the arse for Hatton. His style is made so Hatton comes forward and gets countered with BIG and HARD shots...

...HOWEVER Junior does not have the stamina to handle Hattons pace. He may stay in shape all year round but his camps aren't comparable to Rickys. Its better to be 110% for 3 months then to go 55% all year round.

Witters head is in the air and I'm sure he is going to get caught with screw uppercuts, right leads and left hooks.

Witters timing and range isn't good enough to rip Hatton up from range. He'll be catching him with speed. His shots are looped and Hattons gonna rip him up on the inside. Watch those uppercuts snap his head back and those body shots bend him over.

Witter will spark some trouble early but Hatton will punctuate his victory down the stretch. Corley, N'dou and Harris have pop so Hatton won't put him away just like that, he may catch him with an accumulation.

This is the pros and 12 rounds is too much for Ricky Hatton not to beat Witter, unless Witter puts him away. Hatton may be put down by speed or power. Witter has that RARE and LETHAL combination like Judah, Jones etc The sort of talent that ends fights momentarily or greatly discourage an opponent. Hatton is durable and has too much heart to not keep ploughing away.

He'll come through in the end. Win or lose Hatton MUST fight Witter after. Witter is his BIGGEST British rival. I will never forgive Ricky. This is boxing, arguments are settled in the ring. Ricky has never won the WBC too.

I head Ricky talking about fighting Witter and I get the impression he knows there is no way he can avoid the fight. The Witter 'isn't on my level' argument is slowly dwindeling. Witter has to keep winning and it'll come.

He should take an optional and then unify against Rees. He can rock Rees world.

3. djb2009

djb2009 Member Full Member

Jan 7, 2007
    After Hatton Beats Mayweather threre's no need for Hatton to drop down to witters nobody level. **** WITTER1!!!!

4. stake501

stake501 Active Member Full Member

Apr 7, 2007
    bull****....beating up an old Zoo, looking very **** against Collazo and beating a shot Castillo means f all if as I think will happen, he gets schooled by Mayweather (I hope he wins but it will be a honeyghan type upset if he does)

Witter has been a genuine threat to Hatton for over 10 years.

It WILL be a traversty for british boxing if they dont fight.

5. mike464

mike464 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 10, 2005
    I don't buy all this Hatton has great stamina rubbish. Just go and watch the Collazo and Urango fights.

6. Betty Swollocks

Betty Swollocks James 'Lights Out' Toney Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    exactly, what amazing stamina.
    and what's this bollocks about the 'he's not on my level' dwindling argument? It's been clear for years that Witter is top class, Hatton's excuses never fooled me. Sop Witter was not on his level but the likes of Vilches, Pedersen, Steve Smith etc. were? :huh Just absurd.

7. Shev

Shev Active Member Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    I don't believe Witter has the power to deter Hatton let alone knock him out. I think Hatton's chin is solid at 140lbs. Hatton also has the power advantage as Witter has approximately 50% of his wins by ko.

Hatton's stamina is sound as he threw 637 power shots out of a total punch count of 741 against Collazo. He also looked the best he's ever looked against Castillo albeit Castillo being shot.

8. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Him and Collazo warred for 12 rounds straight and never stopped working. They both threw 50-70 shots a round. Hatton throws about 1 jab a round, its all power shots and wrestling. Collazo has great stamina and can rip 70-100 shots a round for 12 rounds.

Hatton was ill against Urango. I thought it was an excuse but I saw clear footage leading up to the Castillo fight that he was in fact ill.

9. Claypole

Claypole Boxing Addict banned

Aug 4, 2007
    What has Witter done to deserve a fight with Hatton? He has looked awful for years, often against less than top level fighters now all of a sudden he has one decent performance and people think he's the dog's bollocks.
    Harris offered no kind of challenge and the way Witter waded in with his chin hanging out, it was clearly no secret that Harris was shot. This fight was a simple marketing job, Witter didn't suddenly get that good at 33.
    How would Witter deal with the likes of Castillo or Mauser? I think Junior Witter is actually a very good fighter but he has done nothing to convince me he deserves a shot at Hatton.

10. mann187

mann187 WTF is going on? Full Member

May 22, 2007
    Well Witter is only the WBC champ and was calling out Hatton when Hatton was WBF or WBU champ or some ****. Witter deserves his chance at Hatton he earned it above the countless no names Hatton fought in the past. Witter was on some of Hattons undercards calling him out nearly 5 years ago and now Witter is the No 2 boxer in that division and after Mayweather deserves a shot at Hatton

11. "TKO"

"TKO" Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 23, 2007
    This so-called "rivalry" is totally one-sided. For years, Witter has been very jealous of Hatton and, I get the impression, has piggy backed a lot off Hatton's name (i.e. making offers for a "winner takes all" bout when Hatton is signed to face Urango and then Castillo). Which I can understand in a way because at least it gets people talking about him. As we have seen since he won the belt, Witter can't draw flies to his bouts. He needs to concentrate on making himself a big fighter in his own right which, to be fair, he has gone some way towards doing in the last couple of years. He, along with Malignaggi and Torres (oh and Ajose Olusegun of course), are the top contenders at 140.

12. Claypole

Claypole Boxing Addict banned

Aug 4, 2007
    If Witter were to take on one or more of the "nobodies" that Hatton faced, and beat them, he might then get a shot, and perhaps people might even pay to watch.
    Tszyu, Mausser, Urango, Collazo, and Castillo were quality opponents, and it's because Ricky faced, and beat the likes of them that he now gets a shot at Mayweather, the P4P No1. If Witter wants to operate at this level (He IS good enough), he needs to do better than struggle with the likes of N'Dou, Kotelnik and Lynes.

13. dwilson

dwilson Guest

If Hatton does what is expected of him and loses against Mayweather which I hope does not happen he should drop back down to 140 and try cleaning up the division. I would give him a win against anyone but the fights against Paulie Maligfaggi and Junior Witter could be great.

14. mann187

mann187 WTF is going on? Full Member

May 22, 2007
    Yeah because Maussa and Urango were huge names. The only thing Maussa had going was beating Harris and getting the WBA belt. Urango wtf had anybody heard of him.

Im not saying Hatton faced nobodies all his career he fought Tszyu, Castillo, Tackie and Collazo im talking about that bull**** belt he had and was facing the likes of Stewart, Smith, Pendleton etc... He knows he should have fought Witter by now if not for a title just to shut him up. It would be a diffrent story if Witter was still fighting for Euro belts I would agree he dont deserve a shot but he is a world champ.

Now Witter is deserving of a shot he is the WBC champ and No2 so why dosnt he get a shot he beat Harris aswell and more convincingly then Maussa. This is what British fans want and this fight should be made after the Mayweather fight.

15. Betty Swollocks

Betty Swollocks James 'Lights Out' Toney Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    just what the hell are you talking about? Think about it. Witter is the WBC belt holder with some solid wins and no matter how much anyone doesn't like him they cannot deny he's one of the best in the division. I personally think he's the number 1. So he still doesn't 'deserve' a fight with Hatton huh? Laughable comment.
    Look who Hatton was fighting all those years with Witter calling him out. The fight made perfect sense for years, only Hatton's ducking meant is hasn't happened.

the belt thing alone...Hatton was eager to fight belt holders like Maussa and Urango...he seems to have gone off the beltholders since Witter got one.
    Hatton's excuses have changed, but the underlying truth remains the same...he wants no part of Witter.