Have you ever seen a turnaround quite like the perception of BJS after one fight?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by CutThroatFade, Jan 8, 2018.

1. delboy82

delboy82 Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 18, 2014
    I also dont think they two situations are comparable bud. The vast majority on here over the years have usually said BJS is one of the most naturally talented boxers we have had for a while. And then followed up by if only he lived the life !! Now he is and he is reaping the rewards.

Eubank Jnr has still to prove to everyone he can win at the top level. Do i think Groves is as good as he was when with Booth no. But i dont think he has massively declined either, If Eubank beats Groves he goes down as our best super middle. However I still think someone with good feet and a strong jab beats him like Saunders did.

2. Grooveongreg

Grooveongreg Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2013
    BJS has always been good . And good with sub par training. So when he's applied himself he looks great. Stylistically Lem was built for him but still he was the underdog . You have to ice props for the way he dismanled him with ease

3. james5000

james5000 2010's poster of the decade Full Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Groves has great feet and the best Jab in the business and is big and strong.

So surely that will hold less water?
    If Jr beats Groves then you need more than just good feet and a jab to beat Jr?

4. Sugar 88

Sugar 88 The Empire Struck Back Full Member

Feb 4, 2012
    CEJ is getting pumped with a relentless jab next month. His only chance is for Groves to get greedy and try and pour on too much too early because of how easy Lil' Chris is to hit.

Suspect.chin likes this.
  5. underwraps

underwraps Active Member Full Member

Oct 31, 2017
    Agree.Bill has always had it.But seemed not to train and live the life and frustrate at times..A year ago i think Lem would of got to bill late.GGG and Canelo is another level.

Plaza likes this.
  6. Plaza

Plaza Member Full Member

Jul 30, 2017
    GGG may have slow foot speed but the way he cuts down the ring is something else! If he does this with BJS he will walk straight in and take some shots off BJS in order to land his shots, GGG will Yale Saunders power in my opinion the question is can Saunders step up again and be even slicker

zulander likes this.
  7. Plaza

Plaza Member Full Member

Jul 30, 2017
    I'd go as far as saying BJS beats Canelo but loses to GGG....

ipitythefool likes this.
  8. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Groves went right up in popularity after his first fight against Froch.

The boxing fans loved that performance and fight - if only Foster did not spoil it with such a poor ending

9. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    He doesn't have the best jab in the sport. It's still a good jab but I think it;s lost some of the pop it used to have.

Before anyone jumps in and accuses me of downplaying Groves to in turn downplay Jr, I'm still picking him to win. I just think Groves' jab is overstated these days.

10. carlingeight

carlingeight Active Member Full Member

May 15, 2016
    I don't mind the recent BJS hype, even if it is a bit OTT. If it leads to him getting a bit more recognition then great - he's not had the recognition he deserved in the past (partly his own doing, granted).

Any news/rumours on his next fight?

11. delboy82

delboy82 Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 18, 2014
    Groves certainly does not have great footwork! Decent at best but he is not even close to having "great feet" certainly not on the back foot anyway.

12. james5000

Apr 11, 2010
    Watch a fight some day, when Groves is fighting a threat he has excellent movement.

Against blokes he feels he can get out of there easy he likes to trade.

13. james5000

Apr 11, 2010
    Who has a better jab, don't say GGG he is 1 paced 1 dimensional just a hard jab still not as hard as George's mind you.

GGG would be like Abraham @ 168 KO's would dry up no doubt about it. They already have started to decline.

Groves has a much better Jab than Saunders as well.

14. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    The reaction to this win has shocked me to be honest, I know fans can get carried away but this is way OTT in my opinion.

It was an excellent performance and very good win away from home but it was against a hard punching but limited Lemieux.

Lemieux was smashed around by Golovkin, beaten up by Rubio and lost on points to Alcine, I'm not really understanding the reaction of some people who are now claiming BJS is now the main man.

ipitythefool and Scyson like this.
  15. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    His jab is better than Groves' current jab. It's much more effective and timed better. It's basically what won him the Jacobs fight. I also think Garcia, Crawford and Kovalev have better jabs than current Groves. Like I said, Groves' jab was elite but it isn't as good as it once was. Still a great jab, just to my eyes it has lost some of the authority it once had. Wlad's did the same after the Povetkin fight

GGG at 168 has absolutely nothing to do with Groves' jab at all, no idea why you've mentioned that.