Haye a tad lazy?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by PrideOfWales, Nov 11, 2007.

1. PrideOfWales

PrideOfWales Winston Zedmore Full Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Firstly, congratulations to David Haye, brilliant win last night! This is a fabulous time to be a boxing fan in the UK. This guy has got good power, skills, movement for a big man and did well to survive the fourth round.

But he's ****ing lazy with his left hand in defence! What is he doing? He's seriously asking for trouble! It shouldn't be hard to pull it up and if he did last night, he would have only been hit about 4 times. Haye had such a massive reach advantage and should have been able to keep Mormeck nicely on the end of his long jab but refused to throw it. Instead, he was happy to let Mormeck close to gap and keep him on the ropes too often. And with the low left hand, Mormeck was able to catch David too often.

I think Haye is capable of much better than he showed last night and I hope that he learns from it because he was sloppy/lazy. I know that it was his first time at this level and things can only get better, but they were basic errors. I guess at Heavyweight, he doesn't have to worry because 99% of boxers up there do not have the ability to catch him.

This is why I am a little suspicious about this whole weight issue. I get the impression that going to Heavyweight is the lazy way out of the tough graft getting down to Cruiser. Haye only needs to stay at Cruiser for another year... have a defence then clean up the winner of Cunningham/Huck then move up to Heavy as the established undisputed Cruiserweight champion.

Maybe I'm wrong but that's just the impression I get.

2. Bodysnatcher

Bodysnatcher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 27, 2007
  3. PrideOfWales

PrideOfWales Winston Zedmore Full Member

Apr 20, 2006
    I think he could be brilliant at Heavyweight and would be a breath of fresh air if only he starts fighting smart. He has the ability and potential to be a real force up there, but beating some top ranked Cruisers first is not treading water. OK, there's more glamour/kudos/money at HW but he's young enough to do it all.

4. Strike

Strike Boxing Addict banned

Sep 14, 2004
    Agree totally. His left hand by his knee invites trouble, Mormeck was landing with rights without having to even jab his way in. Haye needs to train harder so that he does not gas and pick his ****ing left up so that he protects his chin.

The worrying thing is that people look at fights like last nights where he has stopped someone past the half way mark and think that shows an improvement in stamina, but it doesn't because he now does a lot less in each round. Half the trouble he had last night was because he was not doing enough to deter Mormeck from piling forwards and he was getting beaten because he was not throwing much in terms of volume. The reason for this is that he is worried about gassing, so he has dropped his workrate instead of just doing more aerobic exercise in training.

Still he is one of the most exciting fighters out there right now and I cannot wait to see him at Heavy.

5. Hitman_Hatton

Hitman_Hatton Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2005
    Im quite sure its the weight issue thats affecting his stamina not a lack of training. If he stays at Crusier struggling to get to 14st 4lb stamina will always be an issue, at HW i believe it will be a different story. Agree about the holding the left low though that will need to be sorted if he wants to mix it with the big boys.