Haye as an amateur

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by robpalmer135, Nov 20, 2007.

1. robpalmer135

robpalmer135 Obsessed with Boxing banned

Jun 29, 2007
    Did he ever get knocked out big time?

2. The Lads

The Lads Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Apparently so, Ive read reports of at least one heavy KO.

EDIT: I think so anyway... I'll have a look at home later (restricted in work)

3. rydersonthestorm

rydersonthestorm Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Yes buy oblander solis haye almost koed him in the first round and then her came back and stopped haye in the 3rd.

4. elle

elle Journeywoman Full Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Don't think that constitutes being "knocked out big time" which is what the thread starter asked.

He fought Solis at the Amateur Championships and wasn't knocked out in that fight - it was a referee stoppage after three standing counts I think.

5. The Lads

The Lads Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Yeah Solis stopped him, but it wasnt a big KO. Im sure he has been on the end of one once though, bloody sure of it.

6. rydersonthestorm

rydersonthestorm Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Getting three standing counts in the ams is pretty much getting a bad beating.

7. elle

elle Journeywoman Full Member

Aug 21, 2007

Thats your homework for tonight then!

Happy researching! :smile

8. Haye

Haye Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 11, 2007
    He did almost KO Solis in round 1, then got handily beat, he was stopped on his feet.

9. TomPodmore

TomPodmore Member Full Member

May 19, 2006
    Coventry's Jim Twite flattened him in the ABA's. Haye had stopped Courtney Fry in the round before, but Twite, who went on to have three pro contests, knocked him out.

I know Jim is very, very proud of that win, especially as Haye is now the undisputed cruiserweight champion.

10. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    spot on. Second round wasn't it?

11. riot187

riot187 Member Full Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Must be **** then, eh? Who ever heard of a Cruiserweight getting knocked out? I mean, they don;t really pack a punch at that weight do they? If a 14 stone + man tests your beard you should be able to weather that easily enough. If that Haye ever turns pro I can't see him amounting to much. I mean, he'll certainly never be the undisputed CW Champ. And if they ever put him in with that Enzo chap, well...

12. Strike

Strike Boxing Addict banned

Sep 14, 2004
    The one that shows Hayes chin up is the one to Twite. The Solis one was a crap stoppage and would not have been stopped in the pro game. Twite starched him.

13. TomPodmore

TomPodmore Member Full Member

May 19, 2006
    Aye, second round.

Jim was no mug as an amateur. Despite not being a international-level fighter, Twite was well-rounded and showed what he was capable of with that win over Haye.

14. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Vaguely remember watching him a few years back. The Twite result was an Upset but so was Haye Blasting the well established Courtney Fry. Fry was a quality boxer.

15. Sly

Sly Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2007
    The Twite 'knockout' is a bit of a myth. Haye wasn't 'out cold' or anything. He was caught by a good shot - left cross I think - and went down heavily. He got to his feet and beat the count, but the referee waved it off. Haye wasn't really in any position to continue, but he didn't end the fight on his back.