Haye splits with Maloney

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Words, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Words

Words Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 21, 2007
  2. Mikey

Mikey I'm An Uzi Lover Full Member

Jan 3, 2008
    You dont have to get rid of your promoter to sign with GBP though? Hatton and Witter both promoted by Maloney and Hennessey respectively and are both promoted by Golden Boy.

Unless Haye is relocating to the States or something.

3. hook

hook Member Full Member

Sep 11, 2007
    Haye had split with Maloney prior to the Macca fight had he not?

4. TK Terrible

TK Terrible Tuff Little Unit Full Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Definately

5. dwilson

dwilson Guest

I never thought that there was an exclusive contract between the two just that Frank did the business things that Haye had little knowledge about when arranging fights ect. I would imagine that due to Haye wanting to fight stateside through the next part of his career he will gain help from a promoter over there who has a big say in the heavy weight scene.

6. Beeston Brawler

Beeston Brawler Comical Ali-egedly Full Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Hatton isn't promoted by Maloney - Frank is merely supplying the majority of the undercard fighters.

Also, Witter isn't promoted by GBP - there was an informal arrangement struck between Big Mick and GBP about three years ago, but little has resulted from it.

To be honest, top fighters don't really need promoters - just managers. Having a contract with a promoter holds you back something chronic, look at Calzaghe and Hatton (pre Tszyu) and you will understand what I mean.

7. robpalmer135

robpalmer135 Obsessed with Boxing banned

Jun 29, 2007
    Haye will no way sign with King. He should sign with GDP or even with Frank as long as he has a deal where he can choose the oppo.

8. Beeston Brawler

Jan 9, 2008
    I think Haye is pretty grounded, despite his tone in interviews at times - I would doubt Adam Booth would allow him to sign with Don King.

9. robpalmer135

robpalmer135 Obsessed with Boxing banned

Jun 29, 2007
    yeh king did a very poor job promoting mormeck vs haye remember. did not even go.

10. Beeston Brawler

Jan 9, 2008
    Well usually Don King walks in with the champion, and walks out with the champion, regardless of who actually wins the fight!

11. ghostlybadge

ghostlybadge Punch Drunk Full Member

Dec 9, 2007
    :rofl but so true

12. DamonD

DamonD Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Shame for Maloney, but not a huge surprise.
    Haye is going to want to do whatever it takes to raise his profile, and Maloney can't really offer the same kind of clout there he used to.