Hearn and Joshua are ducking

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Thunderstorm, Sep 28, 2022.

1. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014

Boxing Championship Bout contracts are pretty straightforward. They aren't very long.

They are online. You can find contracts from the Association of Boxing Commissioners for any non-title fight. The WBC lists all the contracts boxers and the fight promoter need to sign and agree to on their website. You just have to download them and sign.

The IBF contract is pretty basic but here it is.

https://ibfusbaregistration.com/ibf.../pdfs/IBFOfficialChampionshipBoutContract.pdf

The problem is when you have to add graphs that everyone has to agree on when it comes to TELEVISION rights.

And the stumbling block is Joshua just signed (like months ago) an exclusive $100+ million deal with DAZN. So basically he has to fight on DAZN.

Apparently, Hearn and Joshua thought they were going to beat Usyk in the rematch and WHEN they did EVERYONE who wanted to fight for the title would have to come to them and fight on DAZN.

But ... Joshua lost.

Fury has a deal with ESPN and BT Sport, and he's the champion, and those networks want him to fight on their outlets.

Joshua can't fight on them unless DAZN agrees to shair the broadcast rights ... which is basically what they BOUGHT in the contract with Joshua. They bought the rights to show his fights exclusively.

And, frankly, WHY SHOULD THEY agree to shair the broadcast rights? They just negotiated a deal with Joshua a couple months ago. Now Joshua and Hearn want to change the deal.

That's the problem when you sign exclusive deals. Maybe if Joshua was YEARS into the deal, DAZN would've worked something out. But, apparently, they aren't moving very fast on this because they are under no obligation to move.

So now Joshua has no belts. And unless Fury or Usyk wants to agree to defend THEIR belts on DAZN, Joshua is basically going to have to fight out the remainder of his contract (like SEVEN FIGHTS) and none of them are going to be world title fights.

So, I hope Joshua enjoys all that money. Because he's going to have to wait for a long time for a title shot unless DAZN is willing to let somone else co-televise the event ... and if that's the case then Joshua will probably have to renegotiate his deal with DAZN or GIVE SOME of their money back.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
    navigator, Elvizzz, Mickc and 3 others like this.
  2. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    You should have done some quick research before posting this.

3. JDub

JDub Active Member Full Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Cool story bro, but I’m pretty sure they sent it back with requested amendments though.

4. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    With each post that you make, the further that you embarrass yourself.

Instead of carrying on posting, do some research.

There’s rival networks and promoters involved.

Have a look online. There’s various sources available quoting Eddie Hearn and Frank and Francis Warren.

fencik45 likes this.
  5. Leeroy84

Leeroy84 Lancashire-la-la-la Full Member

May 7, 2016
    Crying? No, I'm just annouyed AJ has ducked out of a fight I wanted to see just so he can sell his behind to DAZN for a few extra quid rather than losing to Fury.
    And I've quoted Warren.
    10 days without getting his own house in order to gaurantee the fight. A duck is a duck. AJ didnt want it.

Not all bad though, Unification next year.

And AJ will have Whyte 2 or Zhang to look forward to, happy days. lol.

6. Leeroy84

Leeroy84 Lancashire-la-la-la Full Member

May 7, 2016
    he could've signed the contract.

7. navigator

navigator "Billy Graham? He's my man." banned Full Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Typical Hearn, saying TV wouldn't be a problem when he knew it would be a problem. :lol:

8. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    I said carrying, not crying.

Nobody has ducked.

On Monday, Hearn and all three of the Warren’s had been quoted as saying that everything was progressing. Both camps. Both saying the same thing. Just trying to tie up the contracts with the networks etc.

9. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    While no one knows what goes on behind closed doors Joshua has a consistent history of taking tough and risky fights while Fury doesn't. That more or less tells me what I want to know.

Ultimately if the fight doesn't get made (which looks likely) I fully expect Joshua's next opponent to be a top five/top ten guy of some sort, while whoever Fury fights will be some pathetic joke barely inside the top twenty (if that).

10. drenlou

drenlou Tres Delinquentes Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Iss thattttt righttttt? Everybody knows AJ was never a real opponent for Fury. It was all mumbo jumbo from team Fury.