Hearn could be making an error with Ted Cheesemans next fight versus Sergio Garcia

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by MoreOne, Dec 27, 2018.

1. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    I agree in the main. Sims is Hearn's bum chum and that's why he trains a lot of the Matchroom fighters. Remember when Burns split with Nelson, he went straight to Sims after signing for Matchroom/

I think Sims probably looked a Garcia's perceived lack of power and took the fight on that basis. He famously turned down a fight against Golovkin for Barker when it was offered to him because he knew Barker would get wrecked, so I'm sure he just felt Cheeseman would take him out based on what he'd seen. Probably just a bad call.

Agreed the corner work didn't seem great.

N17 likes this.
  2. micker1

micker1 Member Full Member

May 31, 2010
    I thought Garcia was brilliant on Saturday. What a fighter he could be kept moving good jab. Reminded me of calzaghe a little bit. Cheeseman didn't have a jab. Good pressure fighter but was levels below what Garcia had. The Fowler fight is dead and buried now if I was advising him. Go under the radar for a year. Next year go for Fowler. Fowler should stay at British level till Garcia moves on as well.

Holler likes this.
  3. Optimus Grime

Optimus Grime Member Full Member

Feb 12, 2014
    someone hacked my account. Lol nah fair play to original poster. Got it bang on.

N17, DJN16, Holler and 1 other person like this.
  4. Optimus Grime

Optimus Grime Member Full Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Why let fowler get a few fights and go for Garcia worst case he loses. We constantlyblambast fighters for trying to keep their 0 intact.

DJN16 and Scissors like this.
  5. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    I think the Fowler cheeseman fight still happens this year. Fowler wants that British title and unless Cheeseman vacates it’s happening. It’s definitely not what Ted needs right now because Fowler will go to town on him.

N17 likes this.
  6. Willis Brown

Willis Brown Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2017
    It was a good job Garcia was not a banger otherwise Cheeseman would have been badly hurt. He is British Champion and if the board recognise the Fowler/Fitzgerald fight as an eliminator he has 2 choices defend or vacate . With the social media crap Cheeseman and Fowler have generated if Ted pulls out he would lose a lot of marketablity ? However he needs to regroup with a couple of confidence building fights before another big fight .

N17 and Holler like this.
  7. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    Sims is well in with eddie. Sims gym is called Matchroom gym. But you are right to bring up the point that sims never seems to get much flak when we openly witness some of his poor corner work.
    I think that the fact that Sims seems to be a trainer of not many words helps him get away from critisism.
    In contrast, Joe G who loves the limelight is a target of ridicule should he be seen to publicly show poor work.

N17 likes this.
  8. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    Worst case, he loses. Yep that can be a bad case in this day and age.
    Two areas that can be hugely effected when your a prospect and you take an L.
    1. How the loss effects your future performances. This can sometimes break a good situation for prospects. All of a sudden a fighters perceptions about himself may of taken a huge dent. How many times have we seen a fighter never been the same after a loss. To a prospect it will matter how he deals with the loss.
    2. Popularity can take a nosedive. A lot of fighters especially on small halls, depend on ticket sales.
    Taking a loss can have a huge effect on the fighter selling himself.

It's not one rule for all but I would say that in some circumstances, taking a L can be disastrous for a fighters career.

9. BoxingABC1

BoxingABC1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 21, 2016
    all he's good for? he's british champion you knobhead

10. micker1

micker1 Member Full Member

May 31, 2010
    Yes I can't argue with that. However Fowler gets beat in this fight. I don't see the point rushing into it. In another year Fowler has more experience and if things go well he goes for European as British champion.