Hearn: It’s not about the money LOL

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by jmashyaka, May 23, 2018.

1. OpinionOfACasual

OpinionOfACasual Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 3, 2017
    I'm a fan that wants to attend the potential fight at Wembley.....

So yeah, I care about the location of the fight.

Holler likes this.
  2. greenhornet

greenhornet Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 14, 2016
    brit fans travel well. you could always fly to wherever it happens. if not wembley.

3. jmashyaka

jmashyaka Boxing Addict Full Member

May 7, 2016
    Why don’t he have a choice? He could choose to carry on being the WBC champion facing his mandatories and voluntaries

4. jmashyaka

jmashyaka Boxing Addict Full Member

May 7, 2016
    My delusion lol, Wilder is offering 50 million which was what the AJ asked for to make the fight. AJ is offering 12.5 mil which not what the Wilder asked for, tell me which side has offered the better deal?

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  5. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Yes he could pay tens of thousands more for flights, hotels and a vastly more expensive ticket (if he can get one), take time out of his vacation allowance and travel to another country whilst 70,000+ of his countrymen miss out, but maybe he doesn't want to if the option is there for him to watch it in the UK. The match going fan's perspective is too easily dismissed here. A big part of AJ's popularity in the UK has been based around people going to his fights in massive numbers.

Because he's all about unification of course! Here's the man in his own words:

"I never thought I'd have to go through so much to unify the division"
    “I always said I want to unify all the titles. My goal is to unify,”
    "I want to make the sport about ‘who is the best’."

I'm amazed you even ask. What other heavyweight has done as much to unify the division?

6. greenhornet

Nov 14, 2016
    ali fought all over the world when he was champ. i am sure american fans missed out on a few chances to attend fights. it made him a global star though.

viperzero likes this.
  7. JeremyCorbyn

JeremyCorbyn Active Member Full Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Why should Brits have to fly to the fight when Wilder hasn't even got any fans?

8. Holler

Mar 12, 2018
    Ali wasn't fighting in front of crowds of 90,000 in e US afaik?

No doubt AJ will fight abroad, maybe in this next fight. I just don't think folks who plan to watch this on tv should so quickly dismiss the wishes of the fans who do want to attend as these people have made a significant contribution to making AJ the draw that he is.

9. greenhornet

Nov 14, 2016
    i personally don't give a damn either way. my original point was they should fight in a neutral country. a la many champs over the years. but these two couldn't draw flies outside of their respective countries.

10. Holler

Mar 12, 2018
    Because wilder wants Adelaide Byrd judging the fight and she won't leave Vegas?

JeremyCorbyn likes this.
  11. greenhornet

Nov 14, 2016
    if aj is happy being a big thing on just your isles, then have at it.

yeyo monster likes this.
  12. Holler

Mar 12, 2018
    I think you underestimate AJ's international profile, he could probably fight Povetkin in Germany and draw a very big crowd. He could fight a shop mannequin in Nigeria and draw a massive crowd.

13. Holler

Mar 12, 2018
    That's not what I said.

If I were AJ's manager or one of his commercial partners I'd very much like for him to increase his visibility in the US, it's a lucrative market. A successful outing there would significantly improve his already flourishing commercial appeal.

There's also a sporting cachet in headlining in Vegas or at the garden, simply because of the great fights that have taken place there before. So a good box to tick on the legacy scorecard as well if you want to move up the ATG list as I'm sure he does.

Key point however is that it's very much a 'nice to have' rather than an essential. He still earns very well without the US and his legacy is still that of a 28 year old unified hw championing Olympic gold medalist.

14. greenhornet

Nov 14, 2016
    so he could draw on povetkin or fight in the shithole he is originally from. not quite ali, tyson, holmes, etc.

15. greenhornet

Nov 14, 2016
    both handed to him, the medal and at least one title. not earned at all.

Southpawswitch likes this.