Hearn looking shifty over Wilder contract....

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by EX7EY, Jun 15, 2018.

1. EX7EY

EX7EY YDKSAB Full Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Anybody watch the latest Kugan / Hearn interview? Watched it last night, Kugan was asking Hearn about the Wilder offer and contract. Been a long time since I've seen Hearn squirming so much. He looked rather shifty to me. He said there is a contract going across today, but he was throwing a lot of ifs and buts about. I thought they genuinely wanted the Wilder fight next but Hearn clearly wants to fight Povetkin first. Be interesting to see what happens next!

2. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    It was always going to be Povetkin first. I think Hearn would have liked to have Miller after that too. I don't see that he wanted Wilder this early on whatsoever

ipitythefool and CutThroatFade like this.
  3. EX7EY

EX7EY YDKSAB Full Member

Dec 7, 2017
    The way he's been banging on in some of these IFL interviews had me a believe to be honest. More fool me. I wish he'd just be honest about it and say, we want the Povetkin mandatory out of the way first and then we're game for Wilder. Fine, at least we know.

Don't know enough about this Dazn deal yet myself to be honest but I wouldn't be surprised if he's trying to wangle getting it on there instead of showtime and HBO in the US

4. PaddyGarcia

Feb 13, 2014
    Agreed, the Povetkin fight is in itself a good fight. He's probably is (or at least was) the 3rd or 4th best HW out there. But like you, I dislike the pretext that they really wanted the Wilder fight next and not the Pov one.

Scissors and EX7EY like this.
  5. MD2013

MD2013 Member Full Member

Nov 23, 2013
    They dont want Wilder until late 2019.

ipitythefool likes this.
  6. anjawnaymiz

anjawnaymiz Can we get Ivan Dychko some momentum Full Member

Sep 6, 2008
    they should carry on building the wilder fight there is a lot more money to be made, once AJ beats him then there is very little left for him, whyte rematch maybe? miller, povetkin, usyk?

Scissors likes this.
  7. EX7EY

EX7EY YDKSAB Full Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Exactly. It's boring now this constant marinating of every big fight. Times have changed, people want things now.

Birmingham, cam2010 and Twentyman like this.
  8. Willis Brown

Willis Brown Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2017
    It’s a dangerous plan if Eddie is hoping AJ can defend against Povetkin and A N Other (Perhaps Miller) with the hope that they can make Wilder 2019 ? Those 2 together would be as big a gate than Wilder and in heavyweight boxing anything can happen especially when your cash cow has chin and stamina concerns ! Adam Smith was waffling around that the necessary build up would mean that The Wilder fight couldn’t me made by September? As far as I am concerned the fight is ready let’s do it .

Scissors likes this.
  9. Infern0121

Infern0121 Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Jan 21, 2018
    Boxing hasnt worked that way.

Ever.

Big fights dont just get made as soon as the fans want, they never have.

We are talking about 8 figure events here, the man on the street is never gonna understand it but these guys are gonna roll the dice when THEY want to, not because the fans want it.

It's not even worth moaning about tbh.

Holler likes this.
  10. PaddyGarcia

Feb 13, 2014
    With that attitude, it never will work that way.

Scissors likes this.
  11. Infern0121

Infern0121 Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Jan 21, 2018
    Moaning about it ad nauseum just gets old.

And people act like its sone new thing and Hearn is such an unspeakable villian because he might make fans sit through a mandatory in between two unifications.

It's actually absurd when you look at it that way.

12. PaddyGarcia

Feb 13, 2014
    Mass 'moaning' has historically achieved much more than idly sitting around.

it isn't the sitting through a mandatory, it's the pretense that the Wilder fight was ever going to be next. It's the lying toward the fan base and the illogical defense of his every word from the rabid Matchroom FC lot. It's the fallacy that things are ever done for the fans instead of for the promoter.

No, it isn't just Hearn. Of course it isn't. He is the most prominent promoter in the UK though and consequently he will receive the brunt of criticism from the disgruntled. People are frustrated and I don't think the question is why are we frustrated, it ought to be why isn't everyone? The cost of Sky goes up constantly. You now need BT to watch additional fights. ITV have been using Box Office for WBSS. There seems to be more PPV than ever and it isn't clear that the quality of product is improving at all.

Fitz988 likes this.
  13. PaddyGarcia

Feb 13, 2014
    If it isn't clear from the tone in my posts, yes I am brutally hungover.

tee_birch and Holler like this.
  14. DON1

DON1 ICEMAN Full Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Wilder fight will not happen until 2019, if at all. Eddie will rinse his cash cow to the limit before sticking him in there will Wilder. They are petrified to take a risk on Joshua. Thing is he can make a bag of money fighting Pov and Miller before getting in there with Wilder. It's all business.

Cecil and kevinreid001 like this.
  15. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    I think AJ wants it next, I think Hearn as a promoter is the one who’s dragging his feet. He wants to milk the cash cow as much as he can especially with the increased likelihood of a potential loss against Wilder. Why have one fight when you can get 3 in?

Cecil, Potwash, Heisenberg and 2 others like this.