Hearns KO'd Duran yet Duran is considered greater, Mayweather UD Pac, Pac considered greater

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by bluebird, Aug 7, 2019.

1. tinman

tinman VIP Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2015
    I'll say some things that we can both agree on and if you disagree it would be because of bias.

H2H Mayweather is the better fighter, but Pacquiao is the naturally smaller man.

Pacquiao has had higher highs and better wins, but Pacquiao has had lower lows than Mayweather.

Pacquiao has fought tougher opposition in their prime, but he had tougher opposition available to him than Mayweather did.

Pimp C likes this.
  2. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Fair post.

bailey and tinman like this.
  3. northpaw

northpaw Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 5, 2010
    This is simply a ridiculous statement and the poster should be banned off the strength of it's utter stupidity.

Pimp C and cslb like this.
  4. Scar

Scar VIP Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Going by that logic, then I guess Trevor Berbick is better than Ali.

5. tinman

Feb 25, 2015
    It comes down to what you value more. A guy going up in weight through an unprecedented number of weight classes and taking on tougher competition and usually winning and having the better wins and signature moments in his career.

Or the guy who has moved up in weight and beaten some very good fighters, but not as many weight classes and a lower level of opposition. But a guy who won the H2H matchup (though past prime versions) and a guy with a cleaner record and more consistent career.

What do you value more? Better wins or more consistent career?

6. Boxing2019

Boxing2019 If you want peace, prepare war. Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    H*ll !!! There are boxers in it I ignored the existence! However it seems very accurate with Alì, Robinson, Duran, Leonard and Mayweather as the bests of the modern era...I would have added IronMike even if as we know he has had a prime in which he would have knocked everyone out and a second less lucky.

7. tinman

Feb 25, 2015
    Greatness is based on accomplishments in my opinion. And the most accomplished fighters of the modern era are Duran and Pacquiao. I won't rate Ali p4p because he was a HW and it's ridiculous to compare a HW to a lower weight fighter.

Duran moved up in weight and beat Ray Leonard for FFS. Who else could do that? Seriously, he beat the daylights out of Leonard. Nobody else could do that.

Pac is an 8 division champion. And beat the living daylights out of Barrera and Cotto. He just destroyed those guys. Gave them the beatings of a lifetime. They still have nightmares of Pacquiao beating on them.

8. tealt

tealt Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 24, 2017
    Not every fighter can even do what pac did. He started very young at very low weight. Someone like Andre Ward could only go a few divisions and that's it.

9. tinman

Feb 25, 2015
    True, but 175 to 200 is a very hard weight climb. The higher you get in weight the harder it is to move up 1 weight class.

10. Rdc4444

Rdc4444 Member Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Paquiao skipped two weight divisions while moving up. He could have easily been a 10 weight division champion!! Pac is the GOAT!
    Better wins. Pac > Floyd.. Pac dared to be great and achieved more. Floyd was too concerned about maintaining his 0 and was boring to watch.

11. tinman

Feb 25, 2015
    @tealt

I agree that Pacquiao has done more unbelievable things than Mayweather. But there will be people who value Mayweather's undefeated record over Pacquiao's greater wins.

That's their perspective. To me rating a guy because he's undefeated over a guy with way better wins is ridiculous, but many people do it.

12. tinman

Feb 25, 2015
    I totally agree, but some people will cling to the undefeated record instead of the better wins.

13. christpuncher

christpuncher Active Member banned Full Member

Jul 31, 2019
    ok, ok, maybe 100 and mayhuggers will start to get upset? Here's 50.

SRR
    Ezzard Charles
    Muhammad Ali
    Joe Gans
    Benny Leonard
    Willy Pep
    Sandy Saddler
    Alexis Arguello
    Salvador Sanchez
    Roberto Duran
    Marvin Hagler
    Sugar Ray Leonard
    Tommy Hearns
    Julio Cesar Chavez
    Sam Langford
    Archie Moore
    Joe Louis
    Mike Tyson
    Lennox Lewis
    Wilfred Benitez
    Gene Fullmer
    Dick TIger
    Pancho Villa
    Henry Armstrong
    Carlos Monzon
    Roy Jones Jr
    James Toney
    Fighting Harada
    Barney Ross
    Gabriel Elorde
    Emile Griffith
    Jose Napoles
    Kid Gavilan
    Pernell Whitaker
    Mickey Walker
    Harry Greb
    Luis Rodriguez
    Ruben Olivares
    Azumah Nelson
    Ismael Laguna
    Bob Fitzsimmons
    Rocky Marciano
    Joe Frazier
    Jack Johnson
    Gene Tunney
    Beau Jack
    Tony Zale
    Ike Williams
    Randy Turpin
    Manny Pacquiao

You can take a few out, I'm sure you'll want to, maybe you'd even be right, but I can think of at least as many fighters to replace them with to make the 50.

14. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Struggle list! Atleast half of them aren't.

15. christpuncher

christpuncher Active Member banned Full Member

Jul 31, 2019
    If you have half a brain, more than half of them definitely are though, that's my point.
    Anyone can make a similar list and show Mayweather isn't anywhere near 'The Goat'
    In my opinion his cherry picking puts him lower than nearly all of that list.
    If he'd had more balls and less ego he could have done things properly, taken a few losses and gained more respect and a higher ranking at the same time.