Heavy Bag Question

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by running man, Jul 2, 2007.

1. running man

running man New Member Full Member

Apr 14, 2007
    i am looking to buy a heavy bag for my home use and am having a tough time deciding what to get. i originally wanted a leather heavy bag of a least 100 pounds. 150 pounds would be optimal, but i don't want to spend much over $200. a guy i know told me i should opt for a water bag from powair (which is supposedly the best brand of water bags). i don't have any experience with water bags and was wondering if it is worth it to buy one over a leather one. i can get the 150 pound water bag for about $200. any thoughts on whether i will like the water bag as much as a traditional bag.

2. Krippy

Krippy Thread Killer Full Member

Apr 4, 2006
    I don't have any experience when it comes to water bags, but it would be helpful to know your weight. You are generally supposed to get a bag that is around half of your weight. I prefer leather bags, but I'd wait till some more people provide input before making your final decision.

3. running man

running man New Member Full Member

Apr 14, 2007
    i am about 175 right now, but would fight at 155 or 160. most of the time at the gym i use a 100 pound bag, but when combination punching, i feel the bag moves a little too much. i prefer to use the 150 pound everlast bag because i feel i can really put together combinations without the bag swinging all over the place. on a 100 pound bag i can only hit the bag as hard as i would like to on the last hit.

4. jonesjrp4p1

jonesjrp4p1 16 yr old prodigy Full Member

Mar 31, 2007