Heavy Weight Nationalities

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by mykolakozak, Sep 14, 2007.

1. mykolakozak

mykolakozak Active Member Full Member

Nov 18, 2006
    I did this thread a couple of months ago. But some boxers change. I took the top 15 of the 4 main belts:

Chris Arreola US
    Ray Austin US
    Jean Francois Bergeron CA
    Taras Bidenko UA
    Josue Blocus FR
    Lamon Brewster US
    Calvin Brock US
    Chris Byrd US
    Shane Cameron NZ
    Ruslan Chagaev UZ
    Eddie Chambers US
    JD Chapman US
    Alexander Dimitrenko UA
    Juan Carlos Gomez CU
    Donnell Holmes US
    Evander Holyfield US
    Sultan Ibragimov RU
    Wladimir Klitschko UA
    Vitaly Klitschko UA
    Luan Krasniqi GE
    Sergei Liakhovich Belarus
    Oleg Maskaev RU
    Mike Mollo US
    Oliver McCall US
    Kali Meehan Australia
    Michael Moorer US
    Fres Oquendo PR
    Samuel Peter NI
    Oleg Platov UA
    Alexander Povetkin RU
    Hasim Rahman US
    John Ruiz US
    Sinan Samil Sam TU
    Matt Skelton UK
    Tony Thompson US
    David Tua NZ
    Nicolay Valuev RU
    Vladimir Virchis UA
    DaVarryll Williamson US

USA - 16/39 - 41%
    Ukraine - 6/39 - 15%
    Russia - 4/39 - 10%
    New Zealand - 2/39 - 5%
    Germany - 1/39 - 5%
    Canada - 1/39 – 2.5%
    Uzbekistan - 1/39 – 2.5%
    France – 1/39 – 2.5%
    Cuba - 1/39 – 2.5%
    Belarus - 1/39 – 2.5%
    Australia - 1/39 – 2.5%
    Turkey - 1/39 – 2.5%
    Nigeria - 1/39 – 2.5%
    United Kingdom - 1/39 – 2.5%
    Puerto Rico – 1/39 – 2.5%

changes from last months: US lost James Toney, but replaced him with Chris Arreola (21-0-0, 19 KO's) and Michael Moorer (50-4-0, 39 KO's) is back; Germany lost Tino Hoffman, and Russia lost Denis Bakhtov. The list gained Puerto Rican Fres Oquendo (28-4-0, 17 KO's)

What are your views:

2. mykolakozak

Nov 18, 2006
    And to add to some controversy on other threads: Liakhovitch is Belarus, and Chagaev is not Russian, he is an Uzbek.

3. The Kurgan

The Kurgan Boxing Junkie banned

Nov 16, 2004
    I thought this was common knowledge. :huh

Again, I thought this was common knowledge. Is he a Greater Russian though? That could confuse matters; I'm not sure if Chagaev is a Russian name or not. It does sound a bit Central Asian, though. :think

4. mykolakozak

Nov 18, 2006
    Unfortunately its not. Americans tend to be very ignorant of many of the once USSR coutries. But one cant blame them. The communist government instead of helping the needy was spending billions to Russify all of the nations it held under an iron fist.

5. Relentless

Relentless VIP Member banned

Mar 5, 2006
    ruslan chagaev is the best fighter russia has produced in years.

6. The Kurgan

Nov 16, 2004
    It didn't help that for all of the USSR's history it was known by most people in the West as Soviet Russia or just Russia. It wasn't until the 1980s that most people here started to find out that there were so many differetn ethnicities in the Soviet Union.

The only reason I'm (relatively) familiar with the various nationalities over there is that my maternal family went around Eastern Europe and the Western USSR in 1973, and because my maternal aunt is a Russian orthodox nun who travels over to Russia every other year.

What's Dimitrenko like? I've been hearing about him for years, but I've never seen him box.

7. mykolakozak

Nov 18, 2006
    He seems to robotic, but has a pretty good record. You can find some of his fights on YouTube

8. The Kurgan

Nov 16, 2004
    Thanks. :good

9. Cachibatches

Cachibatches Boxing Junkie banned

Nov 12, 2006
    Ukraine and Russia are going to have a real battle for primacy, espcially when Boytsov makes his way bakc up.

The odd spoilers are Solis and Haye, Cuba and UK repectively. I think Peter is wildly overrated.

America seems finished as a majo rplayer at heavy. I hope Chambers or Arreloa prove me wrong. Being from Cali, it ould b esepecially nice for me to see a big, hard punching Mexican american heavy from my state win the belt. But is he going to beat Wladdy? Povietkin? Chag? Probably not.

Chag's blood lines are part Tartar, and that is very cool. It is pretty disrespectful to lump all these guys together.

10. barneyrub

barneyrub Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 2, 2004
    I find it incredible how few boxers come out of New Zealand, I suppose they all go into rugby but man, they are a country of people who like a fight.

11. mykolakozak

Nov 18, 2006
    Boxing is losing credibility and especially in USA. What this country does, the parrots around repeat. Many foreigners look up to this country, we need to bring boxing back.