Heavyweight Champions from Ancient to Present (WIP)

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by GlaukosTheHammer, Nov 15, 2017.

1. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    I'll have a go at doing some if you want.

Clinton likes this.
  2. BitPlayerVesti

Oct 28, 2017
  3. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Delighted you're back posting. Love your work. Cheers!!!!!

reznick likes this.
  4. GlaukosTheHammer

GlaukosTheHammer Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 7, 2017
    I've only hurt my back, twice actually. The posture required for typing isn't very friendly to me presently, but I've no intention on abandoning this these threads or the pals I've made here. I'll be back.

escudo, BitPlayerVesti and Clinton like this.
  5. escudo

escudo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 13, 2014
    Hell, glad to see you back at all.

6. BitPlayerVesti

Oct 28, 2017
    Get well soon. I'll keep doing a few of the more minor champions, because I have a bit of spare time ATM. You can do what you like with my threads, but I'll can tweak them if you want to add them to the series.

I'll do Millsom and Meggs today I think.
    Edit
    https://www.boxingforum24.com/threads/george-meggs-the-collier.607890/
    https://www.boxingforum24.com/threads/george-millsom-the-baker.607880/

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    GlaukosTheHammer likes this.
  7. escudo

escudo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 13, 2014
    I'm kinda keeps the book under wraps for the general public, however, I have a 5 dollar tier on my patreon that allows early access. All money is going to help deal with publishing costs when it is finished. It's at about 17000 words so far. Link here. https://www.patreon.com/user?u=4163510

8. BitPlayerVesti

Oct 28, 2017
    I've got the text for a few bits and peices.
    Boxing Reviewed on John Jackson (from before he won the title)
    Capt. John Godfrey on Broughton (would be a good way to start the post on Broughton)
    Boxiana on Jack Slack
    I'm currently working on typing up a newspaper report of the match between Bill Poole and John Morrissey, but a few bits are unreadable in the copy I've been working off of, I'll see if I can find another copy.

9. Senya13

Senya13 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 11, 2005
    That was a rough and tumble (no rules) fight, not a prize fight, so what's the point?

10. BitPlayerVesti

Oct 28, 2017
    It's an interesting part of the story, I've not really seen it covered much.

11. BitPlayerVesti

Oct 28, 2017
  12. GlaukosTheHammer

Nov 7, 2017
    Nice job Bits, I've added your threads as links in the list.

BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  13. GlaukosTheHammer

Nov 7, 2017
    Peter Maher added.

I'm still on the fence about Maher myself, but let's be honest I'm gonna add him one way or another because I feel strongly about being inclusive, giving the reader all the names, and letting them make their own decisions. I'm just saying if you want to argue over Peter I am game, but don't expect much more than me asking a bunch of questions.

How I see it is Peter is as legitimate as Hart. If James Jeffries can elect the next bout is for the HW championship and the winner is recognized I don't see why James Corbett couldn't. Also, Jem Ward. I know I talk about him loads, but, look at the ****er's history. That's a champion is it? That's a HOF'er is it? Well if Jem Ward achieved champion then Peter Maher is not only a champion but not even near the man with the weakest claim in history. He has a good, legitimate, claim.

Finally I need to put this frustration out there. We all know the period when racism reigned. No one seems to want to fix the record books though. This idea that the assholes who watched the fights opinions are worth the most is stupid. I have no respect for it at all. Don't step to me telling me what ****in' Egan wrote like I didn't read that **** myself. Don't step to me telling me what your favorite historian wrote to uphold Egan's bull****. I don't give a **** what some racist ****'s opinion was.....it is a bias opinion....****ing duh. I don't give a **** what rationalization some ***** with a pen used to uphold it. If their racist bull**** made X ok in year Y then X is ok in year Z too. I don't care if year Z came around and the ****s' racist bull**** no longer worked in their favor so they needed to flip the script. That my friends is not only unfair to the men of history, but it's ****ing academically dishonest. It's dishonest to leave out men you know have the same claim as other men you include because the guys of the past didn't see it that way. Do you see it that way? Are you a *****? You seem like a ***** to me. Seems like most of you pussies are scared of being the guy with a different opinion. Seems like you pussies are scared to be the guy with any opinion at all. Seems like you only have the stones to tell me about the opinions you've read. Where else in history is this dishonesty found?

Look up the English Monarchs, or don't because you know what I'm getting at is true any ****in' way. Is Cromwell a king? No he ****ing isn't. Is he included in every list of any academic worth as a monarch? Yeah, of course, how else do you explain what happened? How ****ing else? So why the **** do you say " Nah, not a champion" when it fits the bill? Rules to championships taken on a case by case basis making absolutely nothing consistent other than you can bet your ass you'll find someone else in history that mirrors a champion but isn't a champion because atmosphere at the time? Are you ****ing shitting me? Grow a god damn pair and tell me what you actually think, you *****.

Do you have an opinion on Socrates? How about Jesus? That opinion better be borrowed from 490s BC or first century AD because you weren't there right? How about Hitler? You just share you some opines from 49 when you speak on Hitler? Like **** you do. Y'all speak about Shakespeare using only opinions derived from Queen Liz do you? Yeah, my ****in' point exactly, no one but the boxing world does that ****....you pussies.

Senya, if you've read this, I don't mean you bud. I see how it could come off like I'm talking about you but not naming you. I appreciate source material, and I appreciate your input. You give me much more than the prevailing source, you give me all you can and that my friend has worth beyond words. I do appreciate you. It's more of a general frustration than anything aimed at anyone and if I'm honest other forums need told what for far more than any of youse. Same for you Matt man, that private interaction was genuine. Escudo, Bits, Janitor, etc y'all're my favorite mother ****ers in boxing communities period. I don't mean to ***** at anyone, I just got to ***** about this, you know, in general. It pisses me off that the first and main response to anything I ask is a lazy wiki copy/paste of the same opinion that's held court over a subject for generations. I can tell you right now the guys at the IBRO would not like me at all. I am direct and as much as I appreciate a love on something I will hate and tear into things I do not. I'm not going to pretend like I respect an opinion I don't because I respect the man making it. **** that noise, it's a bit of a lie anyway, and your a ***** for doing it every time you do it. Most of this **** comes from them. Maybe each member as an individual is easier to digest, I can't honestly say I disliked anyone I've interacted with...in fact they've been lovely, but IBRO, as an org, you ain't worth a ****. You have as much value as Queen Liz's opinions on Willie Shakes and you did it to your ****ing self. If I want Egan's opinion I'll read Egan free and easy to locate book online. Why the **** would I pay 30 bucks for you to tell me Egan's opinion?

:lol: In other news, I am still cracking along with Thunderbolt Smith's fights. It's not been easy to transcribe, I don't have the time I used to dedicate to this stuff anymore and I'm forcing it when I can. It'll be a while. Dixie Kidd I dropped because he's in Eileen's book and it's on Amazon. I'll transcribe parts from there whenever the mood strikes but often if I only have 15-20 mins I'll be OCR'ing CAC Smith's fights. Senya sent me a butt-load and it'd be cool if they're online in a readable and easy to use format. I'll make that happen just you wait.

BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  14. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Jeffries was paid to announce Hart as the champion.After the fight he said, quite correctly he had no authority to do so.
    The Maher situation came about because Corbett did not want to fight Fitzsimmons and so he and his manager Brady manouvered his stablemate Steve O Donnell into a fight with Maher which was announced as being for the title left vacant by Corbett's retirement,the idea being that O Donnell would beat Maher and keep the crown "in the family," so to speak .
    When Maher put the cat among the pigeons by koing O Donnell, Corbett climbed into the ring and with as much grace as he could muster pronounced Maher the new Champion.Maher told him to stick it up his arse and that he would fight him for it. Corbett then left the ring.Fitz koin'g Maher meant that Corbett had to come back and defend his title against him,so he was really hoist with his own petard.
    Cromwell was never recognized or considered a King, he was proclaimed Lord Protector.