Heavyweight FOTW #4: Lewis v. Mercer (bonus: Mercer v. Cooper)

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mrkoolkevin, Jan 11, 2019.

1. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    That's pretty much how I scored it except I found 5 & 6 too close to call.

Man_Machine likes this.
  2. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    I spoke to Mercer around 4 years ago told him I thought bout was Draw he said - hell no I won that fight. I was home i’m An American in New York c’mon man. And i chuckled and said fair point.
    Funny thing is if that fight was scored how big fights are scored today against foreign fighters in America Mercer does get the call. If Mercer has more gas in the tank he would of taken it that night. Then again maybe Lewis could of had more gas too for that one.

Rock0052 and mrkoolkevin like this.
  3. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Yeah - they were tough rounds to score. Round-5 was difficult because it was a lull after a big round-4, but Lewis stayed steady in his approach, both offensively and defensively. In 6, we see Mercer again doing well with jabs and having a good offensive moment in the second half of the round.

I gave them one-a-piece. But, what I was beginning to notice, at this point, was that Mercer not really making too many inroads, off the back of his jabs, and he was doing more leaning and tying up. Lewis was maintaining a good defense; showing better shot selection and some reasonable inside work. This is what I think ultimately separated them, in the end.

mrkoolkevin likes this.
  4. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Mercer had a strange and effective jab. Wlad also ate quite a lot of Mercer's jabs. Mercer used to come right up and launch it from a closer range than you'd expect it to be launched from. He didn't use it as a rangefinder or annoyance like many other fighters did.

Man_Machine and mrkoolkevin like this.
  5. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Mercer beat Lewis and rightfully got the decision against Cooper. He outworked Cooper in an absolute classic

Big Ukrainian likes this.
  6. TBI

TBI Active Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2015
    Watched this a while back. Almost always with these "controversial" fights, I fail to see where people get this stuff from.

I remember this being a pretty clear win from Lewis.

About to watch again.

7. TBI

TBI Active Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2015
    First round: Tough to score- Lewis landed a good body punch while Mercer landed several. Mercer basically the aggressor while Lewis is seeing who he's dealing with. Lewis probably landed the more meaningful punches, although I'm inclined to call it a draw round.
    10-9 Lewis

Round 2- Lewis comes out following Steward's instructions to put more mustard on the jab... With around one minute to go, Mercer opens up with a rally of hooks left and right for about 30seconds. Lewis taking some, blocking and slipping some- Lewis still in control of himself and clinches, eats a hard jab and wins that round. Lewis landed some hars punches and Mercer didnt blink.
    Lewis 20-18

Round 3- Lewis lands more meaningful punches, controls the distance with the jab more consistently.
    Lewis 30-27

Round 4- It's intersting that usually I agree with Lederman. In this case, not so much so far. Wow, trench warfare as they're forehead to forehead for most of the round, Lewis landing clean, hard shots early, but Mercer turning the tide and landing a cascade of clean punches on the inside, connecting in cleaner and in greater number. Great round of action both ways.
    Mercer's round- 39-37

Round 5- both guys basically took the round off, Mercer landing very hard jabs consistently.
    Mercer's round. 48-47

Round 6- Lewis generally controlling the action, but again around the 2min mark, Mercer comes through with a barrage of clean, hard punches that negates what Lewis has done before and after in the round. Mercer game as they come.
    Mercer's round, now 57-57.

Round 7- Lewis more tired/hurt than he lets on... Mercer in the zone, not to be denied. Good inside work, steady chopping away.
    Mercer's round again. 66-67 Mercer

Round 8- Lewis lands more effectively amd consistently throughout.
    Lewis. 76-76

Round 9- Haaha Bobby Czyz with the MENSA shirt... Never got how he could be a genius considering his commentating. Plus his willingness to fight Holyfield despite being completely outgunned... Not so smart... I gotta say I disagree with those who have said Mercer outjabs Lewis so far. He has landed plenty of good jabs, but hes taking a helluva lot too. In this round his face looks like a body they just recovered from the Missouri river after 3 days... Bloated and swole up. Lennox effectively slipping most of the incoming while landing jabs consistently and some power punches. Lewis.
    86-85

Round 10- Lennox with a good combination of jabbing, landing a couple hard rights, a right uppercut, and well-timed clinches to seal the round...

Pat M, mrkoolkevin and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  8. GALVATRON

GALVATRON Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Lewis always had trouble with defending jabs, it's a big reason he had different trainers. If you can match Lewis in jabs it then forced the fight on the inside, which Mercer gave him trouble but lost. The crowd made it seem closer bc it was pro Mercer . I had Lewis ahead by a good margin , a lot of Mercer shots were blocked.

9. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    The associated press scored it 97-93 for Mercer
    The Philadelphia paper scored it 97-95 Mercer
    And HBO scored it 95-95 a draw.

This seems to jive with what my friends in the audience believed as well. Some fights play different live than on tv. They felt Mercer won as well.
    I’ll have to watch it again sometime soon.

10. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Do you happen to have a link to the Philly report? Just curious if it was Bernard Fernandez?

11. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Loved this breakdown! Even more I just got done rd 1, and scored it for Lewis narrowly. Then I came here to see what others thought and find 4 cards all for Mercer rd. 1. Perhaps we miswatched it? I was just glad I was not the only one who gave the first to Lewis lol

TBI likes this.
  12. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Mercer vs Lewis

I don’t know if the official RBR scoring is known? I would be interested if someone knows it or has a link?

I just find it funny that Ledderman and Stewart have it 19-19 after 2, but they scored exact opposite. Leddeman gave the first to Mercer and the 2nd to Lewis. When Lennox comes to the corner Stewart tells him Mercer took that round and I have it all even. Just corner talk to motivate a fighter? Or did Stewart really see it that way? Either way I scored it like Stewart so far.

13. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    When did you last watch it? Any chance you'd change your opinion on any of the rounds if you revisited it?

14. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Mmm, not based upon what I wrote no, I seem to be saying it's pretty clear.

Who knows?

15. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Lewis vs Mercer
    Not a bad fight by HW standards, and I am not overly fond of HW’s. I intentionally watched this one first because my memory says cooper vs Mercer is a little more fun. To me nearly every round of the fight could be scored either way, as evidenced by our split cards....I will tabulate it later. Onto the card:

1 Lewis
    2 Mercer (19-19)
    3 Even (29-29)
    4 Lewis (Lewis 39-38)
    5 Mercer (48-48)
    6 Mercer (Mercer 58-57)
    7 Lewis (67-67)
    8 Lewis (Lewis 77-76)
    9 Lewis (Lewis 87-85)
    10 Lewis (Lewis 97-94)

But I could see a draw, and don’t think that would be off.

mrkoolkevin likes this.