Heavyweight Top Ten

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mr. magoo, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Base your argument on results not fanboy nostalgia.

2. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    I'm no fan of Dempsey. I just cannot stand your obvious hatred of the man.

3. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    If you're so confident, make a poll.

4. LD Boxer-Puncher

LD Boxer-Puncher Well-Known Member Full Member

May 10, 2017
    What on?

5. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    Was Pattterson a top ten ATG?

6. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I hate him because I rank him in the 12-15 range?

I don't hate Dempsey, quite the opposite. I am just dismayed at the unequal standards by which he is ranked. If a Lennox Lewis or Wlad has plowed through the type of opponents that Dempsey did, they would be lucky to sneak in the top 50.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  7. LD Boxer-Puncher

May 10, 2017
    And an opinion based poll would prove what based on someone's personal opinion?

8. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    My point exactly. You don't like having your personal opinion's bashed then don't bash others'. Especially when theirs is FAR more common :sisi1 (you're the only person I've seen that has Patterson in their top ten).

9. Gudetama

Gudetama Active Member Full Member

Sep 11, 2017
    1. Ali
    2. Louis
    3. Johnson
    4. Liston
    5. Foreman
    6. Holmes
    7. Tyson
    8. Lewis
    9. Frazier
    10. Dempsey

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  10. BlackCloud

BlackCloud I detest the daily heavyweight threads Full Member

Nov 22, 2012
    Well for a start it would prove that you are very, very firmly in the minority with your own personal opinion.
    Similar in a way to those few who believe the Earth is flat.
    That is the closest description i can think of.!

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  11. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    I don't really think anyone rates Dempsey solely or even in large part on resume. His resume isn't that good. Not bad, just not good. Very average imo. Probably as average as you can get. That's just how I feel about it right now. On a side note it is very unlikely that any heavyweights other than Tyson or MAYBE Liston could go through his resume from 1918-1923 and score those kinds of knockouts in 2-3 rounds at the most.

H2H ability makes up most of his rating as well as his skill set which is incredibly underrated. His defense was impeccable for such an offensive pressure orientated fighter as well as his offense being incredibly efficient. Hardly wasting a punch with nearly every one doing visible damage to the fighter even if only a little but more so than other fighters.

12. Gudetama

Gudetama Active Member Full Member

Sep 11, 2017
    We all rate differently. I have no problem with Dempsey being anywhere from number 3 to number 13 (I personally have him around number 10). I would struggle to see Patterson in a top 10, though (I have him at 30). But each to his/her own. That's the joy of forums such as this.

13. LD Boxer-Puncher

May 10, 2017
    Certainly was not your point let's be honest with each other here.
    I'm absolutely fine with having mine bashed, that's why I'm on a forum, to bash others aswell. Especially when they're just a bit mad, like yours.
    Several of your opinions in there, as I pointed out are far far less common than any of mine. Patterson is in at 10, there could be any number of people in there. The differences you'll see there would be huge from person to person. Having Liston at 3 however, is just insane. In a top 5 like .
    Why are you talking about common opinions anyway? An opinion is self made, if yours come from seeing what others think then maybe that's your problem, think for yourself (although Liston at 3 would show you probably do, just badly). If common opinions matter to you, then this thread must be a hurtful one for you. Look at how many people disagree with you.

My top 10 is firmly in the minority? Ok. Can I ask what that proves? (Even though that's probably very untrue.
    Flat earthers definitely believe Sonny Liston is a top 5 heavyweight, and put Joe Louis at 2 because they don't know who he was but everyone else has him at 1.
    The earth isn't flat man, I'm sorry to tell you

14. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    What are you going on about mate? You wanna talk about how many people disagree with me? Everybody disagrees with you. Not one person on this thread other than yourself have Patterson in their top ten. Not one!

15. LD Boxer-Puncher

May 10, 2017
    I'll refer you back to my last post. No point in going around in circles. Try reading it this time