Heavyweight Top Ten

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mr. magoo, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Is someone mentioning Wilder in this discussion? That would be close to insanity.

2. GordonGarner65

GordonGarner65 Active Member Full Member

Nov 12, 2016
    I thank you for your Sanity Sir.

3. GordonGarner65

Nov 12, 2016
    I
    I doubt Wilder gets decked and made to look a bar room brawler by Lyle .
    I doubt Wilder gets humiliated by Young.
    I doubt Wilder gets schooled by Morrison.
    I understand GF was an older fighter by then but you cant praise the Moorer win due to age then excuse the Morrison defeat due to age.You cant have it both ways. Wilder aint finished yet . Wilder takes out any version of GF that you like.
    Wilder wouldnt be backed down like Norton and wouldnt turn up half baked like Frazier did.Wilder would match GF for power and would have a much better gas tank.
    The man is unbeaten, dont underestimate .

4. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    When your first three sentences begin with the phrase " I doubt " It pretty much means crap. basically this post is constructed 100% on shear speculation and without an ounce of fact to back anything.

mcvey, JohnThomas1 and BlackCloud like this.
  5. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Kind of, but on the other hand it's no unreasonable. But the reason it's not unreasonable is that Wilder just doesn't fight anyone - he doesn't fight anyone, nobody. It's incredible. I've never seen a fighter get such props for doing so little. He's now being compared to ATG fighters based upon his unbeaten record, but the best fighter he's ever beaten appears to me to be no no better than Derrick Chisora.

Wilder could legitimately be a wonderful and brilliant fighter; but how would we know? The number of historical ranked contenders who would look good against his opposition is literally in the many hundreds.

BlackCloud likes this.
  6. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Point is you don't rate a fighter alongside proven ATG when said fighter has not proven themselves. In actuality one should never rate any fighter an ATG unless that fighters career and accomplishments have been completed.

7. mr. magoo

Jan 3, 2007
    I think wilder is a good fighter based on some of the tangibles he's displayed and his physical gifts. But yeah you can't pick over someone like George Forman when Bermane stiverne is his best win.

BlackCloud likes this.
  8. GordonGarner65

Nov 12, 2016
    Time will tell, Wilder is a fantastic boxer.
    I just hope he gets a fight or two that define his career. I really rate him as best of the current guys.
    Head to head i see nothing in GF that would conclusively make me feel we're in trouble if im in Wilder's corner.
    If you wanna go deep, we got the most gas.
    IF you wanna jab, we're ok.
    If you wanna move , we win on that.
    If you wanna scrap then i figure my man could finish the job that Lyle couldnt.
    I'm 84% that Wilder beats GF.

9. juppity

juppity Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Wilder career is still young. If he can beat Tyson Fury , Joshua even Parker then you can start
    discussing him as a top ten atg hw. At the moment he hasn't had a career defining fight where
    we can determine how good he really is.

GordonGarner65 likes this.
  10. GALVATRON

GALVATRON Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2016
    1/ Ali
    2/ Louis
    3/ Lewis
    4/ Wlad Klitchko
    5/ Mike Tyson
    6/ Larry Holmes
    7/ Vitali klitchko
    8/ Holyfield
    9/ Rocky Marciano
    10/ George Foreman

reznick likes this.
  11. mr. magoo

Jan 3, 2007
    I happen to like him too. And I'm sure there are some good fighters that he can beat. But the Artur Szpilka fight exposed some flaws early on for me to get too carried away.

GordonGarner65 likes this.
  12. GordonGarner65

Nov 12, 2016
    Yes i agree..
    Im just prepared to state i seriously rate the guy.
    If im wrong , then hey
    But i have a feelin i wont be.
    This guy is a serious specimen who would be an elite fighter in any era.
    Its like Ali pre Liston.
    How many woulda stood in line for the man who became The Greatest.?
    Im happy to say Deontay is the best of what is once again a competetive division. He takes any version of GF for me.
    Outpunch him
    Outbox him.
    Outlast him.
    Whichever way.

13. GordonGarner65

Nov 12, 2016
    Like GF before Frazier ?

14. GordonGarner65

Nov 12, 2016
    Time will tell.
    GF beat sod all before bouncing Frazier ,who'd spent more time singing than training. Then beating a terrified Norton .
    On such things reputations are built.
    Ali knew a ' Mummy ' couldnt beat him.
    He said many times pre Zaire.
    GF was nothing after that apart from one bang on Moorers chin.
    Wilder would take ANY version of GF .

15. mr. magoo

Jan 3, 2007
    Terrified norton, part time singer Frazier and the Canadian Mounty Chuvalo were leagues better than a 37 year old inactive stiverne or the 34 year old dive taking Scott. Wilder is entertaining to watch and has some decent gifts, but thus far has no business in top ten discussions. Now maybe if he beats the winner of Joshua-wlad then follows up with some victories over povetkin, Parker, and Andy Ruiz we can talk, but for a guy who's been a pro 8 years and hasn't rushed into any meaningful fights I'd say the Chances of fulfilling that propositon is slim.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017