Help me design my next 10 week strength and conditioning program...

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by brown bomber, Nov 1, 2011.

1. scrap

scrap Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 15, 2006
    Certainly not, love the guy, and what a Fighter, a lovely Human being

2. Johnboy2007

Johnboy2007 Boxing Addict Full Member

May 21, 2007
    why are all my favourite posters fighting in this thread stop it guys:|

3. lefty

lefty Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Nah nah Duran is legendary. Not trying to disrespect, just needed the no mas reference :good

4. Juurgan

Juurgan Tha Fro!!! Full Member

Jun 29, 2011
    How about that?

5. biglemon

biglemon Guest

Lefty was exposed an overweight raging homo, dont listen to his advice, seriously MrSmall, Anglo, El Puma, Brown Bomber and Scrap ( if you can understand him) are the guys you wanna listen to, pretty much anyone else just ignore, my personal favirote (no homo) would be MrSmall he just has a wide range of knowledge which the average joe can relate to.

6. Black2023

Black2023 Guest

Id set your strength training goals first - ie what weights reps sets are you aiming for by the end of the 10 week-

Use the most basic compund movements and leave out isolation work-

3 times a week-

A
    Squat 3 x 5
    Bench 3 x 5
    Dead lift 3 x 5

B
    Squat 5 - 3 - 1
    Military press 5 - 3 - 1
    weighted dips 10 reps
    weighted chins 10 reps

C
    Power clean 10 x 1
    Clean and snatch 10 x 1

Attempt to increase weight each week

The main goal is to increase weight you lift but not bodyweight which is normally down to calories you use for bulk or cut

Make sure the weight training doset leave you tired for skill work

7. withoutwire

withoutwire Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2010
    Funnily enough, despite the big argument, I actually agree with both mr. Small and lefty. Scrap is good too if a little unconventional.

Bomber, I'm not sure if you post here anymore, or Jeff, most people know who you are and based on your boxrec you are more experienced than anyone in this thread, but I don't believe good fighters always make good trainers (not saying you aren't a good trainer). That said, I don't agree with lots of things in your routine, but I see where you're coming from as I have read infinite intensity.

Just to make some statements about my training beliefs before someone rages at me, I'll keep it simple.

1. I believe weight lifting is helpful for boxers to a certain extent. The caveats being:
    A - Olympic lifts are too complex for most boxers to use beneficially
    B - isolation exercises (usually anything with dumbbells) are useless
    C - weightlifting should be tapered down as a fight approaches
    D - squats, deadlifts and bench press are the most beneficial lifts for most boxers

2. I don't believe in long distance running. For cardio I support high intensity interval running or swimming. Cycling is an appropriate substitute but not rowing.

3. I don't believe in conditioning techniques used by Khan and Pacquiao of hitting abs with sticks - could potentially damage and how will it help? If you feel it gives you a psychological edge though work away

4. Shadowboxing may be the single most important boxing specific exercise (apart from sparring)

5. Boxers should have specific footwork drills regularly, at least 3x a week.

8. MURDR

MURDR Active Member Full Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Definitely agree on D 2 and 3 :good

Though, I may have said incline or even OHP instead of bench, simply because it destroys your delts.

9. dealt_with

dealt_with Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Truth :deal

10. Jdsm

Jdsm Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 8, 2010
    That wasn't lefty :lol:

Don't just ignore anybody other than the advice of those guys, that's a pretty good way to make sure you don't broaden your knowledge as much as you could be.

11. biglemon

biglemon Guest

Oh yeah, actually I forgot about you, I'd sling you in that list aswell probably, and also Virus but I havent seen him about recently.

12. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006

I'm a fully qualified personal trainer. Boxers don't make good trainers because you don't have to have a a-level in physiology to hold a boxing licence - but I do - well the equivalent. You've put you don't agree with my program which is fine... That's why I put it up, but you've not told me anything you would change.

The floor is yours :good

13. withoutwire

Jun 30, 2010
    I'm not saying its a bad routine, far from it, there's just some things I don't understand. Why do you do circuits for example?

14. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Because they allow me to work my body in different plains whilst developing my endurance. I prefer it to running. :good

15. withoutwire

Jun 30, 2010
    Can you explain what you mean by working your body in "different planes"? So you're using circuits for cardio? Not punch endurance? I've never actually done a circuit, always did strength training with compound lifts.