Help with sore hands

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Joeybags73, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Joeybags73

Joeybags73 New Member Full Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Hi all,
    I'm new to boxing and have only been training for 2 months. I joined a gym that's run by a former amateur boxer. It's not like a real boxing gym but that's ok because right now I'm just working to build my conditioning. The gym holds classes where most of what we do is heavy bag work. I would attend class about 1 or 2 times per week but recently my hands, wrists, and fingers have been sore for over a week. This is the first time they've been like this since I started. I'm also weight lifting so maybe its a combination of heavy bag work and lifting that's causing problems. I understand that soreness would be normal for a beginner but I'm concerned it could be a poor hand wrapping job and poor gloves. One of the trainers at the gym gave me a 30 second lesson on hand wrapping but it certainly was not enough. Instead, I found a YouTube video where ****** Fortune shows how to wrap hands, including between each knuckle. Seems to be working for me. But then I read that beginners should not use heavy bag gloves but go for 14 to 16 oz boxing gloves until the hands get used to the pounding. I actually bought a pair of Title heavy bag gloves from the gym. But then I read that Title is junk and that a brand like Ringside would be the best.

The people at the gym don't really have the time to instruct us on an individual basis. In fact, we're more thrown to the wolves and just given boxing combos to work on the bag. I feel like I'm injuring myself needlessly because my hands, while they are getting better, still feel sore. I need some advice on what to do so that I don't keep messing up my hands.

I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,
    Joe

2. Liston

Liston New Member Full Member

Oct 5, 2010
    I think only doing heavy bag work isn't really the best way to train for boxing and obviously it can lead to injuries with your hands since you aren't used to the pounding. The weight lifting could be a problem specifically to your wrist, I had/have the same problem with my left wrist: it hurts alot when I train biceps and doing barbell curls.. Regarding weight-lifting I suggest using less weight because this will cause less stress on the joints(more specifically the wrist).

Handwrapping is a key-part to avoid as many injuries as possible I think: it protects your thumb and wrist in particular so it's very important to learn how to wrap your hands correctly (30 seconds intro isn't enough ofcourse).

Good boxing gloves are also very important, I don't know the brand Title but I have Everlast boxing gloves since the boxing gym I train at is sponsered by Everlast. The idea of bag gloves not being ideal for beginners is correct I think, hands who aren't used to the pounding should be protected alot in the beginning(so 12 oz gloves would be the best)

I suggest maybe talking to the trainer for basic training away from the bag(like hitting the mitts, conditioning training, ...)

Grtz,
    Liston

3. UpAndComin4

UpAndComin4 Member Full Member

Feb 4, 2011
    Simple solution- Don't use dumb lifts like bicep curls. We aren't training for the beach, we are training to fight. Lift heavy. Grow a set.

4. bald_head_slick

bald_head_slick Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 15, 2009
    Your hands will ache a bit at first. The shock of punching is "hurting" them. Your knuckles will grow too, hahaha. The gloves should be fine as long as they are 14oz. What size gloves are you wearing? I hope they didn't start you wailing away on a bag in traditional mitts!

What is the level of pain? Is it a dull ache (normal) or a searing tear kind of pain? The dull ache happens in the beginning, but decreases in time. Also later after a hard heavy bag session. As long as it is in the range of the dull throb in the feet after a long run you should be good. Searing isolated pain is an warning to stop.

Where is the pain? Knuckles and fingers is one thing. They are impacting the bag. Wrists, elbows, and shoulders? That probably means you are punching harder than your technique and small stabilizing muscles (especially wrists) can support. Feelings of weakness in the wrist is most def a sign you should work in rest days. This happens to guys who start Boxing already decently fit.

I would say back off of the bag every other day and shadow box focusing on tight fists. Also get a pair of leather work gloves and work the bag
    This content is protected
    focusing on balling your fists up like rocks and landing properly. Not power, just technique. Extra light. More of a mental exercise (other than the balling of the fist). Also, do pull ups. (IMHO wraps and gloves atrophy the hand (forearm) muscles, but I am no pro trainer so take that with a grain of salt.)

Most gyms are solo outfits past the initial classes. You should get a good book. Boxing Mastery is decent and gives lots of visuals. Good luck. Keep training.

5. Joeybags73

Joeybags73 New Member Full Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I appreciate it. Basically, I started off with heavy bag gloves, which I am guessing are 12 oz. I have a pair of regular 12 oz gloves and they tend to feel the same. The pain I'm getting is a dull ache sensation which comes and goes. Most ache is confined to the top of the hands, but will sometimes occur in the fingers. The pain will last for about 5 seconds and then go away. I've also had some vibration sensation in the hands which I'm assuming could be nerve irritation. I do computer work all day too so it could be a touch of carpal tunnel syndrome. It's been happening for over a week now. I haven't done heavy bag work since last Tuesday so I can give them time to heal. They are healing very slowly so I'll see what another week of rest brings. In fact, I have been doing pull ups, which I enjoy. But I'm 220 pounds and just building strength in the upper body so I can only do 3 at the most. To compensate I've been doing slow negatives on the chin up bar.

Any other advice?

6. bald_head_slick

bald_head_slick Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 15, 2009
    After this more specific post, STOP immediately on the heavy bag! If you are getting pain in the TOP portion of your hand (opposite the palm) you are getting FRACTURE-ish pain! Give your hands a month and supplement with calcium during lunch and before bed (a Tums should work) when you start back up. Remember, Boxers hand bones break UP (/*\)!

Traditional thumb out? Ahhh! Man at 220 your 8-12oz heavy bag gloves are just way too damned small! :shock: Only pros who's skeletons have been hardening for years should be wearing 6-12oz gloves at your size. Not saying anyone can't, but I think it is playing with fire.

Also remember a bag is a unique individual. Bags are packed differently and settle over time. Hit the top and bottom of a heavy bag. Big difference! Make sure you are on a softer bag. Many gyms use harder ones so they last. Most people are Boxercising (cheating pitty-patting through classes) so it doesn't matter. If you are "diggin' shots" (especially low on the bag)? You can hurt your hands.

You need at MINIMUM a CUSHIONED 14oz pair, better off with a 16oz glove, and probably should go with a PREMIUM line, i.e., Title Platinum, IMF Tech, Lonsdale, Throwdown Elite, etc... Err on the side of cushion not style! I would go with the Title Platinums. Don't be cheap!

As much as I hate to do it, put the Ringside branded gloves lower on the list. They have been making some production location changes and the quality has bee seriously slipping. I swear by my Ol' Skool IMF Techs, but after ordering new ones TWICE (I paid for shipping :fire)? I can't recommend them.

It is nerve and soft tissue "damage". I went through it too. It passes as your hands toughen up, but you need good gloves to get there and they help avoid it tremendously. Eventually (2-3 years) you will begin to see a noticeable change in the size, shape and general hardness of your hands. Trust, when your big strong ass goes up a few ounces your knuckles and elbows will thank you. :yep

Good luck and if you are working on computers? You can afford and deserve NICE gloves. :good

7. Olinelooo

Olinelooo New Member Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    I do computer work all day too so it could be a touch of carpal tunnel syndrome. It's been happening for over a week now. I haven't done heavy bag work since last Tuesday so I can give them time to heal. They are healing very slowly so I'll see what another week of rest brings.????

Ali

8. Speechless

Speechless Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Serious question...does it hurt when you sit down to pee?

Ha ha, alright. Just being a ****.
    It's hard to say what's going on w/out seeing what you're doing. A lot of time, it has to do with bad form. You need an experieced coach who can guide you , especially at the beginning - before bad habits become permanent - or at least, ingrained in your natural movement.

So that's my advice. Seek help from someone who can watch you, and knows what they're doing.

Also, as per previous comments - wrap hands very well, with emphasis on where it hurts, i.e. wrists or knuckles.

Also, make sure you have long enough wraps. 108' are too short (and quite common in stores). 180' are what adults should use.

And you're right, some pain - esp knuckle pain is expected at first.

9. camzie

camzie New Member Full Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Evander Holyfield used isolation lifts like curls. He definitely doesn't need to grow a set.