henry brim drew with a peak ray robinson, how good was he?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by choklab, Jun 24, 2010.

1. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    dont know much about this fight other than the result and would be intrested if any light could be shed by your good selves. I do know graziano and dave sands knocked brim out.

2. anarci

anarci Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Good question ive always known about this fight and wondered why i never heard much of Henry Brimm. Hopefully someone can give us some light besides what we already know on Boxing Records.

3. Meast

Meast New Member Full Member

Dec 6, 2008
    I've read that SRR thought pretty highly of Brimm, especially after their second fight. The first fight was close as well by all accounts.

Brimm always claimed that he beat SRR in their second fight and said he wouldn't fight him a third time.

4. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    ray fought so many times its fair to sugest he may have spread himself thin at times. the era was so full of talent after all.

the second marty servo fight and the georgie abrams fights were disputed also but im not doubting rays greatness at all, i just want to get to the botom of some of his closer fights.

records of later champions who fought less often can be further scrutanised than forgotten talents like brim.

Reinhardt likes this.
  5. Meast

Dec 6, 2008
    True, after all he fought like what ,13, 14 times in '49 and he fought just 5 days before the Brimm fight.

Be good to hear a bit more from some of the older guys to see if they know anything else about this fight and about Brimm.

6. burt bienstock

burt bienstock Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Henry Brimm was a very good trial horse of the 1940s ,who lost to the top opponents, but somehow gave the prime Ray Robinson all he could handle...There is always some fighters who Ray Robinson best fighter I ever saw] , had trouble with...Ray was whipped badly by Ralph Tiger Jones and drew with Jose Basora and Henry Brimm...Ali had his Doug Jones
    and Ken Norton...Things happen to the best of fighters.....

7. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005
    :lol::lol::lol:

8. john garfield

john garfield Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 5, 2004
    DAMN RIGHT SRR WAS OVERRATED, along with Astaire 'n Baryshnikov.

9. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears this my daddy's account (RIP daddy) Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    ...Who do you think would win between Marciano and Robinson, Kenny?

10. Bobby Sinn

Bobby Sinn Bulimba Bullant Full Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Dave Sands pelted Henry Brimm twice... How good was Dave Sands??

IMO, he'd have taken SRR too.

11. Meast

Dec 6, 2008
    You obviously know what your talking about....

12. teeto

teeto Obsessed with Boxing banned

Oct 15, 2007
  13. thistle1

thistle1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Top Men were top men, simple!

we forget and are programmed through acheivements and all-time great lists that these other top contenders and fighters were near as good or better even in some cases, especially from stronger era's.

All the greats are still great no matter who gave them hell or beat them, BUT quite a few of the top performers desreve the accolades also, it's a rich history this fight game, again especially at different times and periods.

14. Meast

Dec 6, 2008