Herbie Hide vs Anthony Bellew at Cruiser

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by EJC83, Jan 15, 2021.

1. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    I've always thought that Hide was a decent Cruiser and that a lot of what he did and what he was capable of at that weight is forgotten because he was too busy quite literally punching above his weight going in with heavies. I think it's widely recognised that Bellew was at his best at Cruiser but who would you back to win? I might be a bit biased here but I'd go with The Dancing Destroyer because I think one of those big punches would land and it's an uphill struggle from then on for Bellew, Hide could seriously bang.

2. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Herbie Hide for all his faults was a Cruiser with the punching power of a SHW add in his quick hands and reflexes it's difficult to see how Bellew wins this, maybe he catches Hide flush on his glass jaw but HH was an elusive fighter. Bellew in his prime was intimidated by the power and physicality of Adonis Stevenson, if he couldn't handle that can't see him hanging in with Hide.

EJC83 likes this.
  3. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Hide would’ve been frightening at cruiser from the start.

Gatekeeper likes this.
  4. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Hide beats him late KO/Stoppage, too quick and explosive and his chin won't have been so bad at crusierweight as it was at heavyweight, but I get this feeling that he would've still had a weak chin although not as bad as it was in comparison to the heavyweights

Gatekeeper likes this.
  5. EJC83

Jan 20, 2019
    I definitely agree about his chin, the one thing I will say though, against Bowe he kept getting up and Bowe was a big hitter. Hide falls into the glass category and that would be my only concern.

Gatekeeper likes this.
  6. Boxer1988

Boxer1988 New Member Full Member

Jan 5, 2021
    Hide all day long. Far to quick sharp and athletic. Also hit like a mule at heavy so at cruiser would of cleaned out most guys...

Fantasy fights at cruiser including hide would have to be

Cruiser : hide v Holyfield
    Cruiser: hide v Haye

Gatekeeper likes this.
  7. channy

channy 4.7.33 banned Full Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Hide, no doubt about it.

He would leave him asking which way is home, and who his wife and kids are!

8. SnoopyboyM

SnoopyboyM Active Member Full Member

Jan 26, 2010
    Hide imo he would have been a great career Crusier I remember seeing Bowe saying Hide was the hardest puncher he faced in his career

channy, Gatekeeper and EJC83 like this.
  9. Safin

Safin Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 3, 2019
    I found Hide to be an entertaining boxer because he had the offence without the defence - he went down to some of the most dodgy looking punches I've ever seen. At times, it looked like a stiff breeze could've blown him over. It has been a long time since I've seen any of his bouts but I'm pretty sure I'm not exaggerating that much.

I don't rate Bellew very highly at all. I reckon Hide would've knocked him clean out.

Guru88, Sonny1 and Wizbit1013 like this.
  10. ipitythefool

ipitythefool Prediction ? Pain Full Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Hide would smash Bellend. Simple.

Guru88, Gatekeeper and Sonny1 like this.
  11. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Hide knocks him out within 8

Gatekeeper likes this.
  12. EJC83

Jan 20, 2019
    This content is protected

At 1.40 Riddick says that the hardest hitter was Hide.

SnoopyboyM likes this.
  13. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    I really do wonder sometimes whether this is a serious Boxing forum. It seems that some people who have issues with Tony Bellew's public persona that the three times ABA plus British, Commonwealth, European and World Champion couldn't fight a lick. This site should not become like The Voice.
    I've seen both lads live and I reckon it would be a terrific shootout. Once the smoke cleared, I think Bellew would have come through it. For all Hide's talent, no one, surely, could deny he was a very flaky lad. As anyone who has been around and really understands Boxing will tell you, Tony Bellew was a very solid Fighter with sound fundamentals who did not just fall to bits in the heat of a fight.
    Answers on the back of a postage stamp and a bit more respect for all Boxers please.

Boxingfan2 likes this.
  14. Col Mortimer

Col Mortimer The question isn't indiscreet.The answer could be Full Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Nice reasoned post. But Hide beats Bellew comfortably. I can't see it any other way TBH.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    LoadedGlove and ryanm8655 like this.
  15. anjawnaymiz

anjawnaymiz Can we get Ivan Dychko some momentum Full Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Are we talking a prime Hide or the one who fought at cruiser in Germany against a load of nobody’s for the last few years of his career?