Herbie Hide vs Cleveland Williams

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by reznick, Jan 14, 2017.

1. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Who do you guys think wins?
    12 Rounds
    Prime for Prime

2. lloydturnip

lloydturnip Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    I think it would be a bit like the Tucker fight.but with hide anything could happen big power and speed China chops.

3. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Stylistically Williams should be able to mow through Hide like a knife through butter.

But if Hide lands a big hook he could drop Williams and end the fight.

Hide has a punchers chance against anyone, that power is other worldly.

Hide shouldn't win, but he's got a decent chance.

Gun to my head, I go Williams. But Hide knocking him out in the first round shouldn't surprise anyone.

UnleashtheFURY and ticar like this.
  4. Russell

Russell VIP Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Williams showed equal power and far better durability throughout his career than Hide ever did.

Do you think Hide could wage war against Sonny Liston for any length of time? I try to not be too negative about any fighter, but Hide was among the least durable fighters that ever broke onto the world scene. He was legitimately fragile.

5. serya

serya New Member Full Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Well said. Williams.

6. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Think hide would come out banging but Williams is going to be throwing it back just as hard. Can see a decent rumble for two rounds with both men hurt then hide catching him in the third with ref jumping in but could easily go other way with hides chin!

7. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Williams ko 2 rds

ticar likes this.
  8. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Might go with Herbie in the upset. Main reason is Cleveland and his defense trying to deal with that handspeed early. And hide was dangerous early and was never an establish a jab kind of fighter. I think he can ambush Williams.

9. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Tell me who lands a hard punch first and I'll pick the winner here.

Williams was bigger but didn't have Hide's hand speed. Weights at heavy are about even.

I'd lean just a bit to Hide, who took a pounding from Bowe before going out in five rounds. IMO, Williams, who was not much for defense, and hit no harder than Bowe is more likely to get caught first.

But this is a true gunfight, without any body armor. I'll go with the guy who has a faster trigger and better aim.

Hide TKO in 4.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  10. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    So many fun fights involving Hide that never happened in the 90s.. Hide/Morrison for example would have been AMAZING.

Glass City Cobra likes this.
  11. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    "Average Joe Williams". Who beat Terrell,Mittef,Daniels,Richardson,Agramonte & drew with Machen , versus "legend "Hide whose best wins are over a 10-0-1 Bentt who promptly retired,and a 40 years old Tony Tucker.LOL

12. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Williams was not slow, neither was he clumsy ,and his power is recognized by all discerning fight critics.He is ranked at 49th in the top 100 of all time by the Ring, and Herbie Hide is placed NOWHERE!

13. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    prime cleve takes herb out early. Hide wouldnt have had a title without the soft touch 90s wbo, he wasnt a real champ. cleve was something else before he got injured.

Herb could run but he couldnt hide. Well he could obviously be Hide, but not hide as such.

mcvey likes this.
  14. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    We assume we are talking about prime for prime ,so unless you think the Williams who fought Ali was prime your argument collapses. No one rates Hide in the top 100 p4p punchers whereas Williams is comfortably in the top 50,that should tell you something! Williams was not slow or clumsy watch his Liston fights.

15. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Maybe not. But who considers Sonny fast? That's the issue--to me anyway.

The blitzkrieg early power shots from Herbie. I think they land. Especially the 2nd punch if Williams manages to avoid the first. I also think Tyson goes thru a guy like Williams and that defense in 1 or possibly 2 rounds. Just way too quick for that defense.