Herbie Hide vs Cleveland Williams

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by reznick, Jan 14, 2017.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Tyson is not the opponent here, so how Williams would do against him is irrelevant.
    This content is protected

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  2. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    You can place Hide where you want ,just don't expect anyone to agree with you.

3. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Just making a point about the style--I think anyway--Cleveland Williams is most susceptible to. A guy like Hide certainly has worse matchup styles than Cleveland presents & is in this hypothetical fight.

4. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Hide beat a novice Bentt and a 40 years old Tucker, that's it!

5. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Novice Bentt--who was favored for a world tile. He had a few defenses of that title on par with opponents the caliber of Wilder's defenses and that was about it. So much for the ring record book to determine the outcome of fights. If you use that, Williams does not exactly have an impressive list of scalps either.

6. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Bentt was kod by Hide in his first defence then retired 11-0-2! Williams beat Terrell ,Miteff,Daniels,Richardson ,Agramonte and drew with Machen. I don't need the record book,I used to watch Williams on the Saturday fights.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  7. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Anytime you have two men with well above average power and a couple of shaky chins anything can happen. I think both tend to get underrated these days. Cleveland's career holds more historical value due to some of the men he shared the same ring with while Hide had some abilities that were never justly displayed. His best win was probably over the Obscure Michael Bentt while his best overall "opponents" were Riddick Bowe and Vitali Klitschko who he lost convincingly to. But on that same note I think there were plenty of guys inbetween in ability who he might have beaten. Big cat may have fallen into that category. Hide for all his shortcomings was well conditioned, mobile, and hit like a truck. And while his lack of durability has already been addressed, he didn't exactly collapse the first time he was hit by Bowe. This is a pick 'em fight for me where the lesser accomplished man from a historical standpoint might have beaten the more renowned one but the opposite could have just as easily happened.

8. ForemanJab

ForemanJab Deus Vult Full Member

May 8, 2014
    Hide had possibly the worst chin of any HW title holder, Bowe's grazing punches had him flopping on the canvas like a fish out of water, Vitali had him out cold from a jab that had nothing on it. Williams should be the favorite to take him out early rounds but Hide has a puncher's chance.

9. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Hide is one of these fighters whose getting better the further away he gets from his career.
    Sure he had fast hands with power, but his chin was extremely brittle and his defence was poor.
    He was floored several times and hurt from punches you didn't see, and I don't mean razor sharp punches, simply punches you saw hardly land.
    Cleveland Williams didn't have the greatest chin but in my opinion he was a much more rounded and more solid fighter than Hide.
    Although both fights finished inside 3 rounds I couldn't see Hide lasting more than 3 minutes going toe to toe with Liston.

10. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Michael Bentt was a pretty good win/performance for Hide .... except for the fact that he was probably damaged goods before he stepped in the ring, and received a brain injury during the fight.
    Apparently Bentt had been KO'd in sparring a few weeks or months earlier and advised not to fight by a doctor in New York but went over to London anyway, for the money.
    Although Britiish Boxing Board boasted of the best safety measures in world boxing, apparently the Benn-McClellan incident the following year was another case of a fighter entering the ring with a possible brain trauma.

11. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Williams main attribute was top end power!
    Bentt had more power than Williams? You do know he only actually KOd ONE MAN?You have to be trolling!

12. jarama

jarama Active Member Full Member

May 13, 2014
    Herbie would cak his pants at the sight of big cat and would out of it in three rounds whether a punch lands or not

mcvey likes this.
  13. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Bentt scored one ko .that is knocked down for a count of ten.Williams has 44 clean ko's to his credit. Hide was counted out against Riddick Bowe so 2 knockout defeats.
    Yup, you are trolling.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  14. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Here is the fight showing the referee Richard Steele clearly counting Bowe OUT! Will you now admit this?
    This content is protected

Only 38 or 39 lol

15. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Okay I provided clear video evidence and you refuse to accept it ,or admit you were wrong .You are a complete waste of time you know absolutely NOTHING about boxing and don't even have the b*lls to concede you are wrong when clearly shown to be so , just run along you waste of space TROLL

swagdelfadeel likes this.