Hexalogie: Hagler (instead of LaMotta) 6 Times vs. Sugar Ray Robinson

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by CharlieFirpo85, Feb 23, 2021.

How many fights will Hagler win out of 6?

1. 1

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. 2

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. 3

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  4. 4

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  5. 5

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  6. 6

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  7. 0

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    This is a good post. But Marvin wouldn’t have been at his absolute best on each occasion. Two of their fights took place within a month.

2. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Randy Turpin that Ray fought would have beaten alot of good and some great middleweight that we've had. Randy was on the rise then. Confident, strong as hell with excellent handspeed. The awkwardness made it a rough nite.
    Fuller was fortunate. Circumstances helped him. He wasn't facing the Robinson of 1949.

3. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    A prime Hagler beats Sugar Ray ,,I'm certain. As has been mentioned I don't think they would fight 6 times because Hagler would inflict more punishment than LaMotta ever could. Marvin takes 2 out of 3, 3 out of 5, 4 out of 6 something like that.

4. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Agreed. These would be different types of fight than Robinson/LaMotta.

I'd always favor a prime Hagler over Middleweight Robinson, though. Hagler might drop a bout in a series, but it would be an anomaly and unlikely reproducible, on the part of Robinson.

robert ungurean and Reinhardt like this.
  5. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    Hagler wins 4 out of 6.
    He's a natural MW, SRR isn't.

6. Indefatigable

Indefatigable Active Member banned Full Member

Mar 6, 2021
    This content is protected

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  7. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Shut up you ****ing crank

8. Indefatigable

Indefatigable Active Member banned Full Member

Mar 6, 2021
    Just saying you are being delusional if you think anyone 147-160 beats Robinson the majority of a series. And when did the size queens seduce you to their lair? You are better than that kid. You can either learn from history and become a voice of reason or ignore it and be a current day boxing liberal where size is everything & today is so much better. More is the shame youngster. More is the shame.

9. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I think that Robinson would lose some and win most of the bouts.

Hagler was by no means a big MW. He was short, durable and immensely skilled and cute but he wasn’t cut from the cloth of Gene, Jake and Turpin they were each mad men in the ring. He would be too scientific for his own good if that makes sense.

I cannot imagine Hagler trying to go to war against Ray. If he tried Robinson just would not oblige him if he felt it wasn’t in his best interest.

I don’t Marvin has the tools to turn it into a war unless Ray himself wants to turn it into a shoot out.

What’s really curious is that Ray could be the more durable man of the two. He was certainly much more proven. (IMO)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    roughdiamond likes this.
  10. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    That's an hard question. Both are absolute legend s of course, so it's hard picking between em.
    I'll go with

SRR 3
    Hagler 2
    1draw.

Balder likes this.
  11. Balder

Balder Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Hagler struggled with Duran, A lightweight.

SRR is even better - Hagler wins 2 because he will use his size and get fired up once or twice - and adapt.

Lamotta took one and gave SRR hell, so I think a fair number for Hagler is 2 wins.

Kamikaze likes this.
  12. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Styles make fights, also in this case, natural weight. Hagler was a natural Middleweight, he was perfect for the weight class, conversely Robinson, was at his best at welterweight.
    Also over Robinson's career he had issues with tough, physical fighters that had the ability to get in close.
    Haglers issues came against slick boxers. Fighters that came at him, he chewed them up. It's what he wanted. His entire repertoire could be used against that style. Lomatta was that style. Hagler would beat Lomatta much more convincingly than R.Robinson did. He would have a much tougher fight against Robinson.
    Styles make fights.

White Bomber likes this.
  13. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    I've always favored Hagler over Robinson at MW I'm giving Hagler 5 out of 6

Man_Machine and White Bomber like this.
  14. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    We must differentiate between what version of Robinson that Hagler would be facing. Sugar Ray from 1949-52 had grown into Middleweight. He was still lightening fast and close to his prime. He retired for over 2 years to dance.
    The Robinson that came back was 60% of what he had been. He couldshow flashes of his former self but he couldn't move consistently and his quickness was diminished.

Hagler beats the 1955-58 version of Robinson.

The prime version of Robinson could frustrate Hagler with his speed and wicked combinations. Remember Robinson isn't Hearns, he is not wilting after a couple of fast paced rounds. Ray boxes Marvin when he has to and bangs with him when he has to.

The result? The same as it always was. Sugar Ray's hands will be raised.

ecto55 likes this.
  15. Drew101

Drew101 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Two or three.

So, if we're transposing Hagler's career trajectory onto LaMotta's timeline, he turns pro in 1941 and is facing Sugar Ray Robinson in place of another Sugar, Ray Seales, by the time they first lock horns. Robinson was probably operating at a higher level even though he was still basically a welterweight, though Hagler's size advantage and southpaw stance probably negates that edge in experience. Close call...think I've got SRR just edging out two of those fights, but I think Hagler could definitely take one of the first three based on style match-up. SRR struggled with worse from time to time.

Around the time of their fourth and fifth meetings, Hagler has developed into close to the finished product, and in the process of running through the ranked middleweight en route to an overdue title shot. I think he's too much to handle for the smaller Robinson around that time and posts clear wins in those contests.

Around the time of the Massacre, Hagler is eleven years into his career, and is arguably just past peak. Robinson probably scores the win to either knot the series or seal the edge in the six fight series.