Hexalogie: Hagler (instead of LaMotta) 6 Times vs. Sugar Ray Robinson

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by CharlieFirpo85, Feb 23, 2021.

How many fights will Hagler win out of 6?

1. 1

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. 2

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. 3

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  4. 4

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  5. 5

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  6. 6

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  7. 0

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. Drew101

Drew101 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Let's face it, though...Hagler is probably getting avoided like the plague in the 40's due to the fact that he was a southpaw, and a good one.

2. Samtotheg

Samtotheg Active Member Full Member

May 4, 2021
  3. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    That's not what this is about.
    This is about a prime Hagler vs the best version of Ray at MW, so they are the same in all 6 fights, nobody ages.
    Who you got ?

4. Drew101

Drew101 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    First line in the original post: "Imagine if Marvin Hagler had fought SRR 6 times instead of LaMotta". No mention of prime for prime anywhere.

Prime for prime, I'm taking the best version of Hagler over Massacre Ray more often than not. I'm thinking the switch-hitting and size advantage is enough to overcome any advantage Ray might have in terms of speed.[/I]

White Bomber likes this.
  5. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    I believe it depends on how Hagler boxes. If he boxes too pensively, as he did in the Duran bout, and gets drawn into Robinson's rhythm, then yeah, I see him losing more often than not. However, it is very unlikely Marvin would let this happen in 6 bouts. He would need to take a page out of LaMotta's book, using aggression and strong triple jabs from low angles. Hagler has a deficit in strength compared to Jake (imo) but he does have much faster feet, which he could use to move in and out quickly with focused swarming. If he combines this with a Lamotta-esque strategy, then he would do very well, as we already know Marvin has all the intangibles to complement.

Still, it is very close. Robinson was a marvel at controlling the range and making other fighters unsure of themselves, and I think this would also be helpful against Hagler's hyper focused and sometimes tunnel visioned nature. People will mention size and strength, but in his 6th performance against LaMotta, Robinson was a full fledged classic middleweight and would continue to be so. He also dealt with Lomatta's strength and size, which was superior to Halger's.

All in all, I can see this being a very close series where either can beat either on any given night. Something like 3 - 3 or some draws would not really surprise me. However, if someone was to edge it in numbers I believe it would be Robinson. He just had that 'stuff' which could allow him to just pull it off.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  6. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Hagler........ and I'd back him each time. Wouldn't argue if Ray managed to nick 1 of the 6 but on the whole, it's got to be Hagler for me.