Highly controversial fights that are forgotten

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Flo_Raiden, Dec 18, 2019.

1. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    Ried vs Ottke. That one really sticks out.

2. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    The first fight between Jake LaMotta and Robert Villemain, the first fight between Kid Gavilan and Peter Waterman and the Art Aragon v Chuck Davey fight. I pick these fights because all 3 had such controversial decisions that it cost officials a suspension or their license.

3. Rope-a-Dope

Rope-a-Dope Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 20, 2015
    A bunch of Mamby fights, vs. Muangsurin, Marrero, and even Cervantes. All of those fights have some or many people who feel that Mamby should have gotten the decision. Every one was in his opponent's home country. Of course Mamby's style made his fights difficult to score also.

roughdiamond likes this.
  4. Flo_Raiden

Flo_Raiden Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2010
    A highly controversial decision worth mentioning: Alfredo Escalera vs Tyrone Everett

• The fight was televised live at two closed-circuit locations in New York and one in San Francisco. It was also shown live on home television in Puerto Rico.
    • Escalera was guaranteed $90,000 against an option of 40 percent of the live gate and ancillary rights, and Everett was guaranteed $15,000 against 15 percent.
    • There was a crowd of 16,109 at the Spectrum. It is still the record for the largest indoor attendance at a Pennsylvania boxing match.
    • The decision is widely recognized as one of the most disgraceful in the history of boxing.
    • Tom Cushman of the Philadelphia Daily News wrote:
    "Tyrone Everett won the junior lightweight championship of the world last night. Won it with a whirling, artistic, courageous performance that brushed against the edges of brilliance. Tyrone was standing tall, proud, bleeding in his corner after the 15 rounds, waiting for the championship belt to be draped around his waist, when they snatched it from him. Picked him so clean it’s a wonder they didn’t take his shoes and trunks along with everything else."
    • The Ring included the fight in a list of the top 5 worst robberies ever.
    • In the 2010 book The Ultimate Book of Boxing Lists by Bert Sugar and Teddy Atlas, veteran boxing judge Harold Lederman listed the verdict as the most controversial decision of all-time. He stated it "may be history's worst decision."
    • In a 2014 ESPN.com article, Bad decisions keep hurting boxing, Nigel Collins wrote:
    "The Escalera-Everett decision was especially egregious because all indications were that it was bought and paid for by underworld characters left over from the 1940s and '50s, when the International Boxing Club controlled much of the sport. The IBC had ties to New York's Lucchese family via Frankie Carbo, a former gunman for Murder Inc. who became boxing's de facto czar. The feds caught up with Carbo in 1961, and he was convicted on conspiracy and extortion charges and sentenced to 25 years behind bars. He eventually obtained an early release due to poor health and died in November 1976, the same month as the Escalera-Everett fight. Unfortunately, Carbo henchman Frank 'Blinky' Palermo, also an ex-con, and his associate 'Honest' Bill Daly were still lurking in boxing's darkest crevices. Both spent fight week in Philly. J. Russell Peltz, who promoted Escalera-Everett, encountered Palermo a few days after the fight and asked him if he thought it was fixed. Blinky replied: 'You can buy Lou Tress for a cup of coffee.' (Note: This quote originally appeared in Tom Cushman's book, 'Muhammad Ali and the Greatest Heavyweight Generation' and was confirmed by Peltz specifically for this column.)"

5. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    The corksucker did the same to Davila.

6. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004

I believe all of that. The worst decision I have ever seen, bar none. No judge is THAT incompetent. People were bought, plain and simple. There is no other explanation.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  7. AlFrancis

AlFrancis Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 25, 2008
    . I agree, Referee Harry Gibbs definitely had a bad night there by his standards.

8. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Robinson vs Servo (btw Servo is an underrated WW champ)

Robinson vs LaMotta 5

Greb vs Tunney 2 (literally 19/23 writers had Greb winning)

Pacquiao vs Bradley 1 (3 writers had Bradley winning, with 121 in favor of Pac and 1 having it a draw. Disgusting decision)

Don't see any of these talked about, espcially the first 3

9. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    And seeing your reply Al, I think Harada vs Rudkin could also be mentioned here, due to the nature of the bout and how hard it was for some to score apparently.

AlFrancis likes this.
  10. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I swear I've heard someone score it 11-1 in Pac's favour :ohno

11. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Not all that controversial but nobody really talks about how LaPorte lost two big fights (Chavez and Nelson) that arguably could have gone either way, IIRC.

12. Henry Hank

Henry Hank Mexicans Run Houston Full Member

Aug 30, 2019
    Kalambay vs Graham 2.

Nobody ever mentions this fight when it comes to controversial fights but Graham was robbed out right in this one.

13. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    I look at the Pep/Saddler fights with suspicion.

vast likes this.
  14. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    JC Chavez/Randall II and Randall frozen ought of a third fight when it wad still in demand.

Obviously, King and the WBC were in bed together.

15. Flo_Raiden

Flo_Raiden Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Apparently the fight between Nino LaRocca and Kirkland Laing was quite appalling as well. Have not seen it myself but heard that it was a mess of a fight with the Italians pulling out all the tricks like cutting rounds short etc to ensure he got the win. Might have to check this one out to see what exactly happened...
    This content is protected

roughdiamond likes this.