Historical matches where steroids would have changed the outcome?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by cross_trainer, Aug 20, 2021.

1. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Which boxing matches in history would you confidently predict would have gone the other way if the fighter who lost (in reality) had had access to modern performance enhancing drugs?

(Plus whatever modern strength and conditioning training you think they could have used to exploit their PED advantage to the fullest.)

General consensus is that there's no amount of steroids and deadlifts that would have protected Tommy Burns from Jack Johnson, for example. But PEDs (and training) might have allowed an aging Jack Johnson to perform like a younger man against Jess Willard, just as modern heavyweights seem to stay in their primes for a suspiciously long time...

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    BCS8 and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  2. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    What you say could have happened. But why would anyone want to ruin their health over having a great physique. If money is the only reason, then whoever uses them are in for a rude awakening later in life, Cancers, problems with their limbs. It is like wearing a hairpiece when old age sets in, and the hair is thinning with dire consequences. In a sense, it is cheating. Hard good old fashioned workouts can get you the same results as those phony meds. Fighters today are too lazy to get into condition.

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  3. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Sorry I don’t really understand this.

4. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Lol If you give steroids to both guys then the outcome is identical. If you give them to one guy let’s say Burns for his fight with Johnson I still think that’s asking too much he would’ve benefited from them for going DOWN in weight however. PEDs are best for the little guys.

5. MixedMartialLaw

MixedMartialLaw combat sports enthusiast Full Member

Jun 30, 2021
    Every match "Evan Fields" fought post moving to Heavyweight?

BCS8 likes this.
  6. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    But in the end, Very Very Dangerous, why alter your body? Your body is your Castle. For a few bucks? I would not try that.

Kamikaze likes this.
  7. cross_trainer

Jun 30, 2005
    I should have been clearer.

Consider all the major fights in boxing history. Imagine if the losers of these fights (not the winners) had had access to modern PEDs. Are there any fights where you think allowing the guy who lost (in real life) to use PEDs would have made a difference in the outcome, i.e., allowed the PED user to win.

So for example, if Firpo (but not Dempsey) had been allowed to use PEDs, would Firpo have beaten Dempsey? Does Floyd Patterson beat Liston with enough steroids (and help from Mackie Shilstone)? Could a roided up Frazier have beaten the non-roided version of Foreman that he actually faced? Etc.

8. cross_trainer

Jun 30, 2005
    The second one. Only the historical loser of the match is allowed to "supplement."

9. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Premium Primo would beat Louis and truly become The King.

10. Kamikaze

Oct 12, 2020
    If Carnera used the milkshake of chemicals AJ took to compliment his gigantism he would and I’m not exaggerating probably be 6ft5-6 still but now he would be about 300lbs+ and about 8% bodyfat.

roughdiamond and Entaowed like this.
  11. Kamikaze

Oct 12, 2020
    Lol all his HW opponents juiced as well.

12. Indefatigable

Indefatigable Active Member banned Full Member

Mar 6, 2021
    This content is protected

13. Indefatigable

Indefatigable Active Member banned Full Member

Mar 6, 2021
    AND YOU GO BY CROSS TRAINER?? WOW! A WORLD OF BOXING FANS WITH THE MENTAL APTITUDE OF JOE BIDEN

14. cross_trainer

Jun 30, 2005
    Having trouble understanding post. Please retype in all-caps neon pink.

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  15. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    You give only the loser PEDs, of course often it might alter the outcome.
    Maybe not Firpo, because he was already strong & not so skilled.
    But say an older but soft, inactive Willis against Dempsey might have rejuvenated his chances.
    I do not know if Frazier could overcome the stylistic disadvantages, & a lot depends IF fighters like him then whose training & motivation became more lax as champions, acquired more motivation to train hard from the energizing effect of the drugs.
    Oh & it is unfair to label everyone lazy. Many verifiably work really hard, with or absent chemical help.

Certainly not everyone uses PEDs!
    We actually have no real idea if the majority dabble or use regularly.
    But "Evan Fields" became bigger than a man of his bone structure ever would, while retaining speed, having symptoms correlated with PED abuse, "heart" & quickly balding...

Folks like Bowe? Both given his build, never changing physically except getting fat despite a big frame...I doubt he ever used more than way too much food from the frige he installed in his bedroom!