Holmes 48-0 vs Archie Moore

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by SHADAPBLAD, Oct 3, 2019.

1. SHADAPBLAD

SHADAPBLAD Viscous Knockouts Full Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Spinks falls ill and is replaced by Moore. The same Moore who fought Rocky in his last fight. Can Holmes go 49-0 or is he fated to never eclipse the Rock?

George Crowcroft likes this.
  2. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Hmm close one. I may need to have a think.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  3. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    That version of Holmes might lose to Moore. Definitely not easy.

4. Tonto62

Tonto62 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 26, 2011
    He beats that version of Moore who would be there for his jab and right cross to land which Spinks was not.

robert ungurean and Fergy like this.
  5. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Moore has a chance for the W imo.

RockyJim likes this.
  6. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Possible upset. What helped spinx is his footwork and more defensive style on the outside. Moore was as cagey as they come and incredibly skilled but at that age he wasnt as quick as spinx and not as good on the outside. These factors could contribute to Holmes' edging it.

On the other hand, Moore's cross arm could become a major a nuisance for a guy like Holmes who had a brilliant fast jab and cross but his punches didnt change their trajectory or angle that often. In other words, he threw mostly straight punches or coming up from the waist with his hands low in a straight line. Moore's tight defense, parrying, and head movement could prevent Holmes from setting up his offense and from scoring--making the rounds that much harder to score.

Although obviously nowhere near the puncher shavers and Tyson were at heavyweight, Moore had an excellent right hand and did manage to drop Rocky with it. If anything else he'd at least be able to land it with some regularity given that Holmes could sometimes be a sucker for said shot. Moore also had good body punching and a sharp check hook. He would clearly have to be favored on the inside.

Now from Holmes' perspective the less he plays by Moore's rules the better his chances. He does not want to go chasing Moore and giving up his reach frustrated by the cross arm block. Nor does he want to get suckered into a brawl. If i were in Holmes corner id suggest he stay at mid range and paw with his shots and invite Moore to lead, then counter when Moore opens up. With the advantage in reach, height, and speed, he's sure to land first as long as the timing's right.

Moore was no idiot however and was good at adapting. The problem for him is that after a few rounds of getting tagged and beaten to the punch he'd be behind on points. Now Moore would have to be the aggressor and Holmes has the freedom to go back to the comfort zone on the outside and play the jab and move game. Uppercut, tie up, reset if Moore tries to rush in. Unless Moore can make drastic adaptations he'd trail on the scorecards or get stopped/dropped at some point late.

Overall id favor Holmes 6:4 to pull it off but it would be quite the nail biter while both men are fresh attempting to outhink each other.

7. Tonto62

Tonto62 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Good post!

8. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    It would be an interesting fight. Neither boxer could sustain they're offense for 3 minutes a round. It would be a fast tactical bout. Archie would have something for him. Archie Moore's counter-punching and experience would be equal to Larry Holmes. I don't see a knockout either way, Holmes could outscore him with his jab. When he needed to rest Larry could rest behind the jab and perhaps even lay on the ropes. Of course Archie had a few tricks itself. And he was sneaky powerful.
    I call it a draw

RockyJim likes this.
  9. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Not only does Archie not beat Holmes, even at that point, I can see Larry stopping him. Moore takes Holmes out of his comfort zone for a portion of the fight, seen to be catching him frequently and avoiding Holmes best shots. But Larry's jab starts to find its target and his right s start to bounce off Moores head. Holmes will race past Archie in this fight and we'll see flashes of greatness as he starts to break his man down. Down the line, some point past the tenth, Moore starts to stumble in to his opponent s shots and go crashing. When Larry had a man hurt he could be vicious or to a degree compassionate even, but he know s here he has to take his man out. Another kd and the refs seen enough. The scorecards reveal that Moore was slightly ahead at the end.

10. Eddie Ezzard

Eddie Ezzard Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Thanks Glass. Feel like Ive watched the fight. Brilliant analysis.

Tonto62 and Glass City Cobra like this.
  11. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Could def see Moore winning. I don’t think Spinx beats Archie then. If Moore can avoid getting hit by the big one he could get the W I just don’t know how the two styles would mix...best example is a super old Moore against Ali and even that ancient Moore lasted a few rounds countering well. So a W isn’t out of the question.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  12. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Made my mind up, Holmes MD15

I think that Holmes jab troubles Moore and takes the close rounds. Whenever Holmes threw power punches, Moore would counter. A shot Moore landed on someone with Ali's speed, he'd be able to counter Holmes. I don't think he has the power to seriously hurt Holmes. His comfortableness in any position would give Holmes fits and win rounds but Holmes would slowly find his range and start to take rounds more convincingly.

Tonto62 likes this.
  13. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I think Holmes still has way too much left to be beaten by Moore and he wins a comfortable decision.

Tonto62 likes this.
  14. HOUDINI

HOUDINI Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Holmes wins. Moore did not have the awkward but quick movement of Spinks which befuddled Holmes. Holmes jab becomes more effective vs Moore and allows him to better dictate the pace.

15. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    !985 Easton Assassin vs 1955 version of The Ol Mongoose, Larry Holmes vs Archie Moore. Holmes at this time of his career was the defending IBF World Heavyweight Champion, who had lost interest, he turned down a talked about title unification fight against WBC World Heavyweight Champion Pinklon Thomas. He was very verbally bold about Rocky Marciano's 49-0, 43 KO'S, record. But a fighter can only fight the opponent's that are available in their respective era's, not the future or past, except in this instance. Moore tells the press that Rocky was a very good and proud champion, who retired with his belt, 1952-1956. Arch is laughed at, for his size, but a shorter opponent may have enough fight to topple a tall bean stock. Moore initiates a phone booth war, making Larry use his energy and to miss his right hand. A crossed arm style gives Larry trouble, like Ken Norton did. Larry's left jab does not have the snap anymore. Archie wins by unanimous decision. Moore tells Holmes, Good Fight. Larry tells Old Arch, next Time No Talking, Just Fighting. Moving The Jaws Does Not Get It Done. A prime Larry Holmes wins by unanimous decision, despite being floored by Earnie Shavers, in 1979 and Reynaldo Snipes 1981.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019