Holmes vs spinks rematch. Robbery or no ?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mr. magoo, Nov 14, 2021.

Did Holmes get robbed ?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    68.2%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  1. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Anyone who should've won the fight, and didn't, was robbed. What's the rule of thumb for a robbery and how many points differential is the benchmark? I think I had Holmes by 3 points, can't remember.

Spinks won the first battle outright and Holmes did more than enough to regain the strap.

2. Rakesh

Rakesh Active Member Full Member

Jul 6, 2021
  3. Philly161

Philly161 "Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless" banned Full Member

Oct 25, 2020
    i thought Holmes won but nah not a robbery just a close fight. hard to tell effective punching on tv too so maybe the judges saw something we didn't?

i reserve robbery for stuff like Holyfield - Lewis 1. or really, the most common robbery in boxing is when the hot prospect loses a 6 rounder but gets the decision to keep his "0".

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  4. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    It was a very bad decision; Holmes won, but I think maybe the judges were influenced by the first fight, which Spinks rightly won, and Larry called wolf...

As mentioned by some here, I too tend to interpret a robbery as a bad decision that also has the hint of corruption to it. In this case I just think it was just down to poor judging.

5. JabbaTheGut

JabbaTheGut Active Member Full Member

Sep 17, 2019
    I've scored it both ways in the past

6. Barrf

Barrf Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2021
    Not highway robbery, but a bad decision. Holmes won the second one fairly.

7. Barrf

Barrf Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2021
    I'm almost done with Larry's book. Reading how shitty he was treated for so long by the entire sport (the exception being Ali himself), I cannot blame him for the chip he had on his shoulder. Even Cosell was a dick to him until the first Shavers fight.

8. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    That's been my scorecard every time I've watched the fight.

I scored the first one exactly one point for Spinks.

It bears mentioning that not once did Spinks actually hurt Holmes in either fight, but Holmes hurt him many times, especially in the 2nd.

One of the biggest bummers for me in reference to that second fight was watching Holmes hurt Spinks really bad in the final rounds, then completely, mysteriously fail to finish him.

9. Rakesh

Rakesh Active Member Full Member

Jul 6, 2021
    This for me too.

I knew Holmes for being a slick out boxer and once he knew you were in trouble it was practically over. When Spinks got out the round, it was almost a definite ending to Holmes prime if it wasn't obvious enough.