Holy Sh*t Osca Vs Hatton Could Happen

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by planetzion, Jun 24, 2007.

1. planetzion

planetzion Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Hatton's Performance Earned Him A Shot At An 'Oscar'?: Now What Does This Mean For Floyd Mayweather Jr.?
    This content is protected
    24.06.07 - By Vivek Wallace: After seeing the four round dismantling of Jose Luis Castillo (55-8-1, 47KO's) at the hands of British Phenom Ricky 'The Hitman' Hatton (43-0, 31KO's), questions began to immediately surface regarding who Hatton should attempt to face next. Although his 3 fight deal with American Banner Promotions and HBO have expired, it didn't take the answer to that question very long to surface as Ricky Hatton told reporters shortly after the fight that he received a congratulatory call from the 'Goldenboy', Oscar Dela Hoya, who was quoted as telling Hatton that after doing so much in his own career, he'd "love to come to England to fight him".

This move, in a major way showed two very significant things. First and foremost, it showed that even after the lost to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in arguably the biggest fight in boxing history, Oscar's still the most powerful and influential figure in the sports post "Iron" Mike Tyson era.

And secondly it showed us all that even though Floyd Mayweather Jr. is considered the most skilled of this era, the reason that he {Mayweather} hasn't gotten the acclaim synonymous with Oscar Dela Hoya has a great deal to do with the fact that he doesn't jump at the chance to square off against the best in the biz like Oscar does.

Granted, there aren't too many fans out there that appreciates the talent of Mayweather Jr. as a boxer like I do, but keeping to my 'G.E.W.T.W. CREED' , (Given 'Em What They Want - Pronounced JUDO) - (referring to the readers), I'd have to say this is the one flaw in Mayweather's 'game' that keeps him on the outside looking in when it comes to being the 'most-liked' pugilist of this era.

Hatton never did respond to the media in terms of what his thoughts were to Dela Hoya's proposition, but one thing for sure, if he can hash out another deal with HBO and American Banner Promotions soon, you can definitely look for a clash between the two titans. The matchup with Oscar Dela Hoya and Floyd Mayweather Jr. was hyped superbly by Floyd who talked enough to make the world wanna see him lose, but in this potential matchup, I'll gladly go on record as saying that it could easily surpass the figures boasted in the Mayweather/Dela Hoya showdown.

How?......Quite simple. You'd have an unbeaten young stallion coming in against a talented, yet very live underdog, who based on style and size could very well do what some see as impossible. Adding to the intrigue, I can see the headline for this one now. Remember, Oscar's huge stature puts him on a global level which is why against Floyd, "The World Awaited". This time around, it could very well be dubbed "World War III" as you would literally pin the largest pugilistic figure of the Eastern Hemisphere (Oscar Dela Hoya), versus the largest pugilistic figure in the Western Hemisphere (Ricky Hatton).

A couple weeks ago after seeing Cotto dismantle Judah most figured the 'Goldenboy' would aim to make that fight (Dela Hoya/Cotto) happen but there's a reason Cotto's phone never rang and some would surmise it probably has alot to do with the fact that from a 'styles-make-fights' notion, Oscar would feel alot more comfy against the smaller man, not one who walks around as heavy as he does between fights. Now, that point brings another interesting question, and perhaps the only one that stands in the way of a Hatton/Dela Hoya showdown. What weight would they collectively agree to do it at since Hatton hasn't looked too dazzling against the welters and Oscar would kill himself trying to get anywhere close, let alone south of the welters?

As we all know, money talks, and if Hatton gets an offer, trust me, he would be more than glad to beef himself up. So......will we see this fight happen? You betcha. And to the delight of boxing fans globally, if this fight does happen, there's something else that would ultimately happen? That something would be addition by subtraction. In the since that this move by Hatton and Dela Hoya would add to the sizzlin' action in the world of boxing by subtracting two of Floyd Mayweather's less popular options, thus leaving him with the opportunity to pick his poison between the only two other true frontrunner's left...Cotto and Mosley. So in response to the possibility of a Dela Hoya/Hatto showdown, I say go ahead Oscar...Do your magic and put together another helluva promotion, sell it, and let's see if boxings Pound 4 Pound Champ dances outside the ring as well as his skeptics (me not included) feel he does inside the ring.

Stay tuned for new developments from the respective fight camps as they happen.

(Got feedback? Write to Vivek Wallace at:
    This content is protected
    or myspace.com/anonymouslyinvolved​

2. knockout

knockout Make my day Full Member

Feb 18, 2007
  3. planetzion

planetzion Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    SOURCE ???

4. theHawtness

theHawtness Active Member Full Member

Apr 2, 2007
    i prefer mayweather-hatton

5. smokey

smokey Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Oscar is WAY too big for Hatton. Hatton gets hit too much to take Oscar's power. He had trouble against a 147 mid level fighter. Even older slower Oscar at 154 would be a very bad choice for him. It wouldn't do anything for his career, since he couldn't campaign at that weight. The only benefit would be a super sized payday for the cost of a beating.

6. jyuza

jyuza Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Impossible.

Hatton ain't that impressive at welterweight (cf Collazo) and Oscar can't go back to 147, no way.
    So the only way for Hatton to fight Oscar would be moving up TWO classes... at this stage, he would be beaten to a pulp by De La Hoya.

But the worst is that Ricky is capable of doing to gain his biggest payday...