holy

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by steelem, Mar 8, 2008.

1. mattress

mattress Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 8, 2007
    You mean if he didn't turn up?

2. mattress

Apr 8, 2007
    You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, as they say. Or, 'you can't polish a turd', which may be more relevant.

3. Dunky McCafferty

Dunky McCafferty Boxing Junkie banned

Aug 24, 2004
    As for the fight, the true Celt came out in me when Maccarinelli was walking to the ring & got booed badly by the englanders. Reminded me of Willie Limond when he got abuse as the same venue when he fought Khan.
    So I wanted Maccarinelli to to win after that, but it wasnt to be & I feel sorry for the big welshman. As Hayes trainer said though, you have to give Maccarinelli big respect for taking the fight. He didnt need to fight Haye, but wanted to prove himself as the best.

I feel Maccarinelli will get some stick here for losing quickly on ESB, but we all should remember that he had the balls to take the fight & lay it all on the line & gave the fans what they always want, a truly big & meaningful fight. Wel done Maccarinelli for at least going for it. Not many fighters have the balls Maccarinelli does, to risk his title to try & prove hes the best.

4. Diablo

Diablo Active Member Full Member

Nov 23, 2007
    and Frank Warren was nowhere to be seen :lol:

5. Dunky McCafferty

Aug 24, 2004
    Thats unfair mattress my man, Maccarinelli is a good champ who got beaten by a superfast freak, thats what David Haye is. He has freakish speed that most bigger men cant handle.

6. 9Ball

9Ball Smeghead Full Member

Jan 13, 2008
    People will slag Macca off for that because they don't want to give Haye the props he deserves. They are kidding themselves Dunky.
    ;)

7. Dunky McCafferty

Aug 24, 2004
    Fair enough Fluxstuff, & I did pick Haye to win.

Its just a personal thing, the welsh & scots are similar in many respects & I can sympathise when they are fighting in the lions den, & the MEN is certainly a lions den for the non 'home' fighter!

Rightly or wrongly, I let my scottish heart rule my head. I cannae help it;)

8. 9Ball

9Ball Smeghead Full Member

Jan 13, 2008
    mattress

And did those feet in ancient times.......
    :yikes

9. bratwurzt

bratwurzt Whore Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Dunky, what is this 'Celtish' business? Anyone who is not English in the UK is a Celt - is that right big man?

10. kurt2006

kurt2006 Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 5, 2006
    Still not as comical as Hattons headbutt into the turnbuckle in the PBF fight.

11. mattress

Apr 8, 2007

Point taken. As I have stated elsewhere, after watching it again, Enzo didn't do as badly as I first thought. He took a few thunderous shots before the knockdown that would have floored many and the shot that put him down, few would have taken. Haye's speed and power are on another level to anyone in the CW division. Maybe Big Mac can get his title back once Haye moves on up? As you said, and Haye's trainer too, you gotta take your hats off to both fighters for taking fights like these. We all continually moan about fighters being shielded from decent opposition but fail to applaud those who take the big, meaningfull, lot-to-lose fights.

Well done both fighters last night.

12. rooq

rooq Rooq's Boxing Promoter Full Member

Jan 16, 2007
    yep, even the polish ;)

13. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Enzo "Maccarena" Maccarinelli!

Still a top dog though.

14. elle

elle Journeywoman Full Member

Aug 21, 2007

That 'Macarena' song was a bit of a one hit wonder - fun to dance to though.

Hope Maccarinelli goes on to have more success.