Honeyghan and McCallum v the fab four who would they have fared?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Apr 6, 2020.

1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    I don`t like how McCallum doesn`t get credit for beating Curry, people say Curry faded because of the Honeyghan loss, but he was better v McCallum and less dehydrated than he was againsy Lloyd so how would Honeyghan have fared at 147 v the fab four compared McCallum meeting the four at 154 and 160? I feel the fab four would destroy Lloyd, (leaving out Hagler obviously).

lloydturnip likes this.
  2. lloydturnip

lloydturnip Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    I don't think they would destroy the peak Honeyghan. Lloyd might have hustled his way to a points win over Duran in a really good fight .Hearns would win a war possibly after being hurt or dropped.SRL would win in about seven or eight rnds .he would be the worst fit for lloyd a similar manner to starling .

LoadedGlove likes this.
  3. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    They’d both lose. But McCallum would have gone the distance with all of them and in some cases made it a tough fight

George Crowcroft and mark ant like this.
  4. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Duran was a far better in-fighter than Lloyd and he was much harder to hit.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  5. Ken Ashcroft

Ken Ashcroft Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 23, 2008
    I pretty confident that Lloyd has a good chance of upsetting Hagler at 147.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    LoadedGlove, BlackCloud and Cecil like this.
  6. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    I mentioned Hagler at the end of my paragraph.

7. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    I would give the Honeyghan that battered Curry half a chance against Hearns. He would have the strength and confidence to try to push Tommy back to the ropes as he did with Curry and Lloyd could punch.
    Lloyd would try the same against Duran and play right into his little stone hands. Lucky if he lasted the distance.
    Leonard just boxes the ears off him. Welter was Ray's best weight and only Fighters from the all time list have a chance of beating him there.

8. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I liked Lloyd, and I think he was underrated, but I don't see him beating any of them. He was not disciplined enough to stay away from infighting with Duran, he couldn't reach in against Hearns. Ray would outspeed him and stop him. Hagler? Took big.

LoadedGlove likes this.
  9. CharlesBurley

CharlesBurley Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 23, 2020
    McCallum I think might well beat the lot. He'd outbox Duran from range. He'd outbox and outwork Hagler. Leonard maybe beats McCallum.

I fancy Honeyghan getting inside Hearns and stopping him, especially at 147. He'd beat Duran. Lose to Leonard and Hagler.

lloydturnip and AwardedSteak863 like this.
  10. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    I liked Lloyd as a fighter and thought he punched better than most guys did, and he was undefeated when he fought Donald. But Hearns? I don't think Lloyd is a good style for beating Hearns. Hearns would be jabbing and Lloyd would make any move to come forward and Hearns would hit him clean and hurt him. The style is not there for Lloyd.

mark ant likes this.
  11. CharlesBurley

CharlesBurley Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 23, 2020
    Honeyghan was very good at applying pressure, athletic and very good at mid-range/inside. Hearns weakness is his inside game and I think Honeyghan could slip the jab to get inside and break him down.

I could be wrong, we'll never know

LoadedGlove likes this.
  12. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Leonard struggled to get past Hearns jab so how the hell could Honeyghan get past the jab and avoid Tommy`s right hand? Hearns was far more skilled than Lloyd and would have KO`d him.

13. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Duran was a better in-fighter than McCallum and was a more skilled fighter over all as was Hagler who would have out-jabbed McCallum, Duran was a far better welter than Honeyghan and would have destroyed Starling as would Hearns diffeenet level.

The Morlocks likes this.
  14. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Hagler was superior to Lloyd in every department.

15. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    Obviously we will not know. But, for the sake of argument Hearns would have been landing the jab and double jab. so slipping the jab is ok and then a double jab comes up and hits Lloyd and starts to bust him up. Hearns was top of the game jabber, I am not sure Lloyd could slip that jab and then he gets inside and then what? A right hand is waiting for him?