hooks

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Nwil, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Nwil

Nwil Active Member Full Member

Jul 11, 2006
    Alright, I have been instructed two different ways to throw hooks, generally. The first, from my first trainer who was a boxer, is to keep it close and tight. This held true more with the right hook than the left, so I only used hooks with medium to short distance. Then, my new trainer who is a boxer but also mixed martial artist, said that my hooks were too tight and on top of that told me to actually have my right elbow back at the starting position to generate more power. His technique did generate more power, and I think it's partly due to the way MMA guys fight, but I like fast, sharp hooks, given speed is my foundation. Thoughts......

2. Krippy

Krippy Thread Killer Full Member

Apr 4, 2006
    My trainer also taught me the first method, and based on who told you that.. That's who I'd follow. The MMA guys technique may be great for MMA, but considering you're asking the question on a boxing forum, I would assume that you are a boxer.

3. BRICKS

BRICKS the Pride of the Tribe Full Member

Nov 8, 2005
    i was told to throw them tight but to have the elbow slightly higher than the fist.

4. fernando4cv3

fernando4cv3 Member Full Member

Jan 20, 2007
    well throwing long range hooks leave u wide open sometimes but can be quite useful. tyson and patterson did long range hooks excellently. tight hooks great for in fighting great power but wrong technique can leave you open also